New Zealand Player Drain

Discussion in 'Super Rugby' started by mdaclarke, Mar 2, 2019.

1. mdaclarke

mdaclarke Senior Member

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

Wales

After watching the Chiefs this morning I was wondering if the player drain from New Zealand to Europe was starting to have an impact. I've always thought that New Zealand is ultimately more vulnerable to this than South Africa and maybe it is starting to show.

This is only a portent to come of what will happen in the South Africans go North and take their TV money with them.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. snoopy snoopy dog dog

snoopy snoopy dog dog Senior Member

Club or Nation:

Leinster

This is kind of related to the point about the player drain and need for more funds on Australia and New Zealand. What are ticket prices like in New Zealand?

I saw a post elsewhere saying that he bought a ticket to Melbourne Rebels for just A$19 (around NZ$20, £10 or €12). As a comparison, my ticket to a Leinster game last night cost twice that for a similar view. The average wage in Melbourne and Dublin is roughly similar.

Are ticket prices being undervalued in Australasia? That's one way to increase revenue and pay players enough to make them want to stay.

4. unrated

unrated Senior Member

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Sharks

I think because the Australian games are so uneratended it wont be a good public signal if they hike the prices.

On another note i tried looking up Australian Super rugby attendaces vs Irish ones in the pro 14 and was suprised to learn that Super rugby is the best attended club/franchise rugby competition in the world.

Super rugby averages 19,163 people per game
    The top 14 is next up with 14,341 average
    3rd is the premiership in England with 14,165
    Then its the Currie cup with 11,125
    and lastly its the Pro 14 with 8,561

But i dont think Australia contributes much to these numbers so i would still say dont raise the gate fees otherwise more people might go to aussie rules

5. Tigs Man

Tigs Man Senior Member

Country Flag:

Puerto Rico

Club or Nation:

Wigan

Personally I think Chiefs is down to coaching more than anything.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SomeOke

SomeOke Senior Member

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Player drain is certainly a problem for super rugby in particular, that said it's been three weeks, Chiefs are rebuilding basically an entire team. Let's not panic just yet.

7. Leinster Fan

Leinster Fan Senior Member

Country Flag:

Ireland

Club or Nation:

Leinster

In fairness Leinster, Munster and Ulster have far higher attendances than the rest of the Pro14 (Glasgow are stuck in a stadium that's far too small for them as well). Welsh regional rugby in particular has massive problems regarding public interest. I think the average attendance in the Heineken Cup (probably the best comparison with Super Rugby) is around 15,000 mark so SH attendance is definitely higher. There a lot more games and teams in the NH though and that definitely more than offsets the gap.

8. Gena_ZA

Gena_ZA Senior Member

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Is the southern hemisphere stadiums not bigger on average as well?
    Football is also less of a competition down south for attendance in a struggling world economy (my direct circle view)

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!