• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

McAlister takes shot at northern rugby

S

Steve-o

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Returning All Blacks star Luke McAlister says rugby up north "has a bit of chip on their shoulder" over the southern hemisphere game.

McAlister is back in New Zealand about to resume his career here after spending two seasons with English club Sale.

The debate over the style and standard of games on either side of the equator has intensified over the past year with the ELVs central to the north's assessment that the game Down Under has been diluted.

Even All Blacks great Sean Fitzpatrick, now firmly ensconced in the English scene, has lamented some of the play in this year's Super 14.

McAlister has kept a pretty close eye on the Super 14 during his time in Manchester, regularly watching games that are shown early in the morning up there.

"From what I have seen the standard has been pretty good. I suppose they have a bit of a chip on their shoulder up there about the southern hemisphere," he said in Auckland.

McAlister, a natural playmaker, admitted he had to reel in his free-wheeling game at times as he adjusted to the English style.

"You play with guys who are a bit more reserved so you have to bite your tongue a bit and go with what the team is trying to do," he said.

"In saying that you are still trying to play your natural game which is what I try to do all the time.

"They are trying to expand the game and throw it around a bit more. But it's slower, a bit more crash-bash. There are a lot of big forwards over there."

McAlister is adamant his time up there has benefitted his game and shown him there are other ways to win matches than through razzle-dazzle.

Playing alongside Sale's England No 10 Charlie Hodgson had helped him "learn to close games out" with Hodgson's kicking approach.

The north v south debate is a subjective exercise. But modern results tend to favour sides from south of the border. In simple terms five of the World Cups have been won by New Zealand, Australia (twice) and South Africa (twice) against the sole northern success by England in 2003.

The British and Irish Lions, representing the cream of the Home Unions, haven't won a series since their 1997 victory in South Africa.

McAlister says he can't wait to get his New Zealand career under way again.

If he can shrug off a nagging leg injury the 25-year-old will play for the British Barbarians against England and Australia before linking up with the Junior All Blacks for the Pacific Nations Cup.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry hopes that will tune up McAlister for a Tri-Nations role where he will help cover the No 10 and 12 combination of Stephen Donald and Ma'a Nonu.

McAlister senses he is returning at an exciting time as the All Blacks get deeper into their development ahead of the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.

He was thrilled to hear that fullback Mils Muliaina was sticking around and that 18 of last year's Grand Slam winning squad had been secured through to the next World Cup.

"It's great for New Zealand and New Zealand rugby and the fans as well. There was a time when they thought that a lot of the players were leaving to go overseas. Now with them coming back and these signings it's going to be good for New Zealand."

McAlister left the Kiwi game after being part of the last World Cup disaster in 2007.

McAlister was a central figure in the quarter-final loss to France, scoring a trying, getting yellow-carded early in the second half and then being thrust into the No 10 jersey as injuries hit the backline. He failed with a late dropped goal attempt as the heavily-favoured All Blacks were stunned 20-18 by the French to suffer their earliest Cup exit.[/b]

SAUCE...

I thought he was liking it up there.

Well he was hardly going to express his feelings while at the club was he?
Media over-exaggerating his comments imo; wanting a one-up because of Fitzpatrick's comments. Hardly a shot, more a matter of opinion on the styles of play really.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 9 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
McAlister was a central figure in the quarter-final loss to France, scoring a trying, getting yellow-carded early in the second half and then being thrust into the No 10 jersey as injuries hit the backline. He failed with a late dropped goal attempt as the heavily-favoured All Blacks were stunned 20-18 by the French to suffer their earliest Cup exit.[/b]

SAUCE...

[/b][/quote]
The final paragraph is all that matters. Maybe he's learned how to slot a DG ... by getting his pack to work the ball in to a kickable position.

For Saffers, that's not rocket science. But you guys are about to become part of the NH anyway?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ May 8 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 9 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SAUCE...

[/b][/quote]
The final paragraph is all that matters. Maybe he's learned how to slot a DG ... by getting his pack to work the ball in to a kickable position.

For Saffers, that's not rocket science. But you guys are about to become part of the NH anyway?
[/b][/quote]

I dunno, Africa is a big piece of rock to do a 180 spin.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 9 2009, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ May 8 2009, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ May 9 2009, 06:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SAUCE...

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I dunno, Africa is a big piece of rock to do a 180 spin.
[/b][/quote]
SA TV times are Euro TV times.

Equal distance between Durban and Adelaide/Christchurch/London/Paris.

Saffer invasion of Saracens.

Something's going on.

Latest posts