• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Messed up films ?

I love horror movies / Grindhouse exploitation movies. A night of sex, drugs and violence gets full marks in my book. Even the bad movies are good because they make me laugh. I'm entertained. I'm listening to the punk soundtrack of Desparate Teenage Lovedolls on Spotify as I type this and the Album has movie soundtrack cuts before each song and they are so bad, I'm in heaven with a huge grin on my face. hilarious. I want to watch this movie. I want to own this movie so I can watch it on a whim. I also love The Walking Dead. It's easily the best drama on TV, the special effect killings are the seasoning that turns a good roast into a masterpiece.

I've SKY+'d the human centipede for the same reason and will watch it just because the premise is so messed up. Japan always strikes me as a messed up culture with loads to love and to wrinkle your nose at in equal measure. I'm glad there's this colourful place that's so screwy on one side, yet quite wrong by western standards on the other. I mean Beef Icecream.... that's weird! then you have the japanese age of consent of 14 and that's plain wrong. Japanese horror movies are some of the best around, but its very strange stuff. I also want to see Tetsuo - The Iron Man which is about a guy who turns himself / gets turned into a machine (its a bit like Cronenburg's The Fly I guess).

One of the most gross out movies I've ever seen (I promptly bought the DVD) was Peter Jackson's Braindead , (yes he of Lord of the rings fame) its a brilliantly funny and gory zombie flick but there's this scene where they are having rice pudding and the hero's mum who's a zombie pops a boil and the bloody puss goes into the rice pud and the unsuspecting dinner guest missed it then looks down at his pudding and says, "Mmmm I love jam with my rice pudding!" and tucks in. I'm laughing and dry gagging at the same time. its disgusting. Also complete escapism. That's the sort of horror I like. it doesn't scare me, it entertains me. These are my sitcoms.

The things that really disturb me though are real life documentaries of serial killers and the like, I always find myself comparing myself to the sociopathic killer and picking up similarities and that freaks me out. I'm not going there. I believe everyone is capable of being evil for wont of a better word if their environment skews their personality the wrong way, it can be abusive parents, or really poor living conditions, or even having everything handed to you on a platter to the point where you look down on less fortunate people. whatever it is, you then have the violence to real people and that's rightfully scary. That's why I haven't bothered watching any of the Hostel or Saw Movies. I watched a documentary on Broadmore on channel four last month and it told how a mentally ill patient escaped and killed a child before they caught him again, its just too real. I don't need to see a photo of that child and know how she died. Nothing can ever beat the real world for horror. Movies are a matter of taste, but its your choice what you watch when you sit down and turn the TV on. I like OTT escapism. I'm never going to watch any of the hostel movies.

Last edited:
Invictus wrote:

My favourites (in no particular order):
Let Me In (Let the Right One In is great too, but I think LMI is more frightening)
Saw
The Descent
28 Days Later
Drag Me to Hell
Quarantine
Cry Wolf
The Exorcist (One of the few 'classic' horrors which is still actually scary)
Paranormal Activity (2/3 are the best, 1 is fine the first time but average after that)
The Uninvited (Haven't seen the original Korean film, A Tale of Two Sisters)
Rest Stop
Dead Silence
Final Destination (So much fun)
The Mist

And then there are more humorous ones, which I don't really include in the same category, such as Tucker and Dale Vs Evil, Cabin in the Woods and Shaun of the Dead.

The scene in The Descent where the Scottish Heroine is killing Trogolites while soaked head to toe is blood is quite sexy. I'd buy her a drink and give her my phone number anyway.

Oh and if you like Shaun of the Dead, try Black Sheep from NZ and Lobos de Arga from Spain (that's attack of the werewolves, and its very funny! Especially when people start losing their fingers!)

...I must say that The Mist rocks!!!!! You know what I was eluding to about human monsters in my last post. Watch this movie to see what I mean guys. The beasties are great fun in comparison. ...although best avoided by arachnophobes.

Last edited:
J'NUH !!!! ANSWER MEEHHHHH !!!

never heard of "Kill List"....will look it up.
Whoops sorry, forgot about the thread :p

j'nuh:
good taste there, man !
I've kept hearing for the past aeons how amazing "Let the right one in" is...never happened for me...gotta make it happen at some point.
Braindead is so fkn bloody it's just simply ridiculous !! Of course that's exactly what it's supposed to be.....ridiculous. May I suggest "Black Sheep" to you, another NZ made funny horror, but much less bloody, but still entertaining.
Pan's Labyrinth was beautiful, I feel moved just thinking about the ***le. A little girl's imagination in a world of brute force and war.
Don't watch 'Cronos' though by the same director. Starts out amazing, awesome original plot, but the end result is just close to terrible. Don't get seduced by the IMDB synopsis.

Question: I've been reluctant about watching 'Deep Red', I'm assuming you mean 'Profondo rosso'. But I've found old Italian horrors way too over-the-top and simply humorously dramatic. Also, they age horribly past their decade. And Dario Argento (director) seems like the typical artsy fartsy Italian director...and ppl have actually called his stuff all that...but it's regarded as a horror classic at the same time. Your take ??

P.S.: huge Alien fan here. Prometheus may turn out to be one of the greatest trilogies in film history. So far that throne is occupied by the Matrix :D
Ok:

1. Let the Right One In is absolutely fantastic. My friend doesn't really acknowledge it as a horror though and I can see his point. It's as much a coming-of-age tale as it is a horror. You're not really made to feel unsafe in it, but it is certainly one of the most chilling films I've seen (whilst being sweet, complex emotions man).

2. Braindead is hilarious. All Lord of the Rings fans need to see what Peter Jackson was up to in his earlier days. :D I have in fact seen Black Sheep. I was looking forward to it for ages, but the humour kind of just fell flat on me at the time. But maybe it would translate better now. I didn't find

3. I've seen Cronos too. I was pulled in by the Guillermo del Toro tag. Pan's Labyrinth is one of my top 10 movies so I was looking forward to seeing more from him. But I agree, Cronos was a little underwhelming.

4. Okay, Deep Red was a film that the 15 year old hipster me watched (8 years ago now). So I don't remember it particularly well. Except for the fact that it's a detective-style giallo. Is it OTT? Well, I think a lot of old horrors seem that way now.

5. Everyone else will say the best trilogy is the Lord of the Rings/Godfather/original Star Wars. :p Old schoolers might go for the Dollars trilogy. But **** it, I'm saying it: Toy Story trilogy is the best trilogy.

Whoops sorry, forgot about the thread :p

NO! !! It's too late now pal !! You're an unfeeling, emotionless heartless character and YOU KNOW IT !!!
*burp*...sorry.

Ok:

1. Let the Right One In is absolutely fantastic. My friend doesn't really acknowledge it as a horror though and I can see his point. It's as much a coming-of-age tale as it is a horror. You're not really made to feel unsafe in it, but it is certainly one of the most chilling films I've seen (whilst being sweet, complex emotions man).
lol YEAH, MAAAAAAN. I hope it's as even half as deep as I expect it when I do see it. I know it's Norwegian...but I'm sure they can conjure ONE subtle thing in their lives. Oh and the "this is/isn't horror" topic is usually a highly confused one...there are elements of horror sometimes but the film doesn't take that color as a whole. Surely it's part horror, this one.

2. Braindead is hilarious. All Lord of the Rings fans need to see what Peter Jackson was up to in his earlier days. :D I have in fact seen Black Sheep. I was looking forward to it for ages, but the humour kind of just fell flat on me at the time. But maybe it would translate better now. I didn't find
It's complete crap, no doubt (Black Sheep). But it's so exaggerated and not funny it becomes funny, in an even more than just tongue-in-cheek kind of way. It's like...4th degree humor so to speak. It's fun...just fun...

3. I've seen Cronos too. I was pulled in by the Guillermo del Toro tag. Pan's Labyrinth is one of my top 10 movies so I was looking forward to seeing more from him. But I agree, Cronos was a little underwhelming.
buddy, Cronos was a DISASTER with a fantastic first 30min or so. Period. Nobody should ever review this in detail, for the loss of time would be tragic. Starts great, but is feces.

4. Okay, Deep Red was a film that the 15 year old hipster me watched (8 years ago now). So I don't remember it particularly well. Except for the fact that it's a detective-style giallo. Is it OTT? Well, I think a lot of old horrors seem that way now.
mmehhh...sorry, I'm not going to take a little 15yo waanker's take on this...: D I guess I'll just......*siggggghh* HAAAVE to see it...

5. Everyone else will say the best trilogy is the Lord of the Rings/Godfather/original Star Wars. :p Old schoolers might go for the Dollars trilogy. But **** it, I'm saying it: Toy Story trilogy is the best trilogy.
LOTR I accept, and even your joke (joke ??...) makes more sense than calling jedis having sadomasochistic intercourse in outerspace and a bunch of illiterate NY Italians talk about business and family and fkn tommy guns and impressive-for-13yearolds action scenes - the best trilogies ever.

Cheers buddy. Have you tried Insidious ? Yes, that big time Hollywood production...

Latest posts