• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Meters and Yards?

Dai Perk

Bench Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Scotland
Hey folks - can anyone explain why the field is measured in meters, but the announcers (for instance, in the Ulster/Connaught match right now) keep refer to players needing "an extra yard" or being "about a half a yard offside"?

Just curious,

-Dave

Thanks, I figured it was as simple as that, but could to "officially" know!

Us British basically have multiple personality disorder when it comes to measurements.

The height of a buildings will be metres but the height of a person will be feet
All official measurements for small items are in centimetres yet every will still use inches when describing those same object
Liquid in a car is litres although the fuel efficiency is measured in miles per gallon
If said liquid is alcoholic it will be measured in pints
Your car will be weighed in tons or kilos but you will weight yourself in stone
Most long distances are miles except when doing anything even remotely engineering/scientific when it is kilometers
Moderately large areas of land are measured in football pitch equivalents, large quantities of liquid in swimming pools and heavy object in buses
Cooking is mostly done in grams unless you are older than 40 when it is pounds and ounces
Land is measured in hectares but when referring to simply a lot of land of an unquantified value it is acres
If you are Scottish all monetary transactions are measured in average pints of beer equivalent value
States of inebriation are measured from little sozzled through to tipsy, drunk, slaughtered, ******, smashed and wrecked.
Rugby stupidity is measured in Hasks

Now THAT is a thorough answer, my friend, thanks very much indeed... the only bit I didn't get is the use of "hasks"... but hask me no questions and I'll tell you no ties, I guess. ;)

Cheers!

James Haskell is one of the most bone headed players in the game :p
If there's a way of giving away a penalty for doing something dumb then by hook or by crook he'll find it

Us British basically have multiple personality disorder when it comes to measurements.

The height of a buildings will be metres but the height of a person will be feet
All official measurements for small items are in centimetres yet every will still use inches when describing those same object
Liquid in a car is litres although the fuel efficiency is measured in miles per gallon
If said liquid is alcoholic it will be measured in pints
Your car will be weighed in tons or kilos but you will weight yourself in stone
Most long distances are miles except when doing anything even remotely engineering/scientific when it is kilometers
Moderately large areas of land are measured in football pitch equivalents, large quantities of liquid in swimming pools and heavy object in buses
Cooking is mostly done in grams unless you are older than 40 when it is pounds and ounces
Land is measured in hectares but when referring to simply a lot of land of an unquantified value it is acres
If you are Scottish all monetary transactions are measured in average pints of beer equivalent value
States of inebriation are measured from little sozzled through to tipsy, drunk, slaughtered, ******, smashed and wrecked.
Rugby stupidity is measured in Hasks
file.php

Ha! Great stuff. I will keep an eye out for him ... did he make the England squad again this year?

You forgot the firkin, always measured in twos, for example 2firkin big and 2firkin heavy.

Latest posts