• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Meyer the New Lievremont?

Scan

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Don't want to offend any 'Boks fans out there coz I don't know how well liked Heyneke Meyer is in SA but so far into his tenure I think his player selection is mad!

- He picks the very good but not Test class (yet) JJ Engelbrecht ahead of Gio Aplon
- He plays Zane Kirchner at full-back! (again, Aplon?)
- He continues to ignore Anton Bresler and Charl McLeod (as squad players I mean, they're better than J. Kruger and Vermaak)
- And the back row! Keegan Daniel was dropped for Jacques Potgieter!!

Did I mention Zane Kirchner?!
Maybe it's just my opinion, coz everyone has strong opinions on selection but I just don't see any reasoning behind it all.
It seems to me that he's picking too many Bulls and not enough Stormers or Sharks (Kolisi, Aplon, McLeod, Bresler, Vermeulen, de Jongh, Kankowski, Grant, etc.).

I'm fairly sure Vermeulen is injured and Kankowski's contract doesn't allow him to be released.

Remember he is playing against a team whose coach is also doing the same thing (not picking the correct players). Also the travelling takes a lot out of players and, I personally feel, he knows he is going to get five points against Argentina, so why risk his best players when Australia and New Zealand lie in wait?

Charl McLeod should be nowhere near the Springboks.

Charl McLeod was in great form for the Sharks and he still picked Vermaak as his third choice 9. I'm not saying he's better than Pienaar or Hougaard.

Remember he is playing against a team whose coach is also doing the same thing (not picking the correct players). Also the travelling takes a lot out of players and, I personally feel, he knows he is going to get five points against Argentina, so why risk his best players when Australia and New Zealand lie in wait?

Forget about Argentina, it has nothing to do with resting players. He's hardly giving Daniel a rest, he's got very little Test experience after all. Aplon has been thrown by the wayside and completely forgotten since before the England test series and Bresler surely deserves a bench place.

Kirchner and Potgieter are dire, they're decent S15 players but they're awful Test players.

Charl McLeod was in great form for the Sharks and he still picked Vermaak as his third choice 9. I'm not saying he's better than Pienaar or Hougaard..

NO!! NO!!! NO!!! I watch every match the Sharks play, sometimes even twice and McLeod is not Springbok material. He has more knock-ons than a 16-year old scrum-half. He is too sloppy.

Charl McLeod was in great form for the Sharks

No he wasn't.
I watched nearly every Sharks match for the past few seasons and never have I described him as having more than a decent moment.

Well, it's true. McLeod plays like a opportunistic child. He doesn't read the play very well and is a showpony scrum-half.

Kirchner and Potgieter are dire, they're decent S15 players but they're awful Test players.

Kirchner hasn't played poorly.

I feel Meyer's selection is borne out of his one-dimensional gameplan albeit even within that constraint there are still players who he should have selected but has not.

Clearly you don't know much about Heyneke Meyer by stating these remarks, and clearly you haven't read a single article that he has said or what was expected from him from his bosses.

For a coach in his first year at international level he's not doing a bad job at all. 5 games so far without a single loss. Many coaches would beg for that kind of a record.

As for his selection policy, while it is debatable, every coach has his peeves. Even Graham Henry had it. As for Heyneke Meyer, after the whole PDV 4-year error trial, SARU decided to pick someone who could bring back the traditional values of Springbok Rugby, and to be quite honest, HM is trying his level best. His philosophy, which I agree with, and many others do, although not many on this forum would is that it's better to pick a big strong guy ahead of a small strong guy.

Hence the selection of JJ Engelbrecht ahead of Aplon.

We are marred with injuries which has been countless times mentioned on the forum (I bet we could make a squad out of just injured players) and HM has to go with what is available to him. The Argentina test while not the best result should be looked at with more understandability than what some of us did immediately after the test.

It was Heyneke Meyer's first test overseas, as well as 7 players in the 22. Eben Etzebeth, Marcell Coetzee, Jacques Potgieter, Pat Cilliers, Tiaan Liebenberg, Keegan Daniel and JJ Engelbrecht.

I think HM biggest problem is that he wants to do too much too soon. He has a gameplan that he's trying to enforce on the guys and it's not what they are used to. for him physicality is something that every player must have.

You mentioned he hasn't rested Keegan Daniel... the guy has been on the bench for nearly every match for the boks apart from the first test vs Argentina in Cape Town. I think a guy who should be rested much more than Daniel is Morne Steyn. He has played in every test match and Super Rugby game for the last 3 years. no other player in the squad has played as much rugby as he did, and I for think he's on the verge of crashing.

Haha after I read what you said about Charl Mcleod I bet myself Eze and Draggs would post, I owe myself R5.

Clearly you don't know much about Heyneke Meyer by stating these remarks, and clearly you haven't read a single article that he has said or what was expected from him from his bosses.

For a coach in his first year at international level he's not doing a bad job at all. 5 games so far without a single loss. Many coaches would beg for that kind of a record.

As for his selection policy, while it is debatable, every coach has his peeves. Even Graham Henry had it. As for Heyneke Meyer, after the whole PDV 4-year error trial, SARU decided to pick someone who could bring back the traditional values of Springbok Rugby, and to be quite honest, HM is trying his level best. His philosophy, which I agree with, and many others do, although not many on this forum would is that it's better to pick a big strong guy ahead of a small strong guy.

Hence the selection of JJ Engelbrecht ahead of Aplon.

We are marred with injuries which has been countless times mentioned on the forum (I bet we could make a squad out of just injured players) and HM has to go with what is available to him. The Argentina test while not the best result should be looked at with more understandability than what some of us did immediately after the test.

It was Heyneke Meyer's first test overseas, as well as 7 players in the 22. Eben Etzebeth, Marcell Coetzee, Jacques Potgieter, Pat Cilliers, Tiaan Liebenberg, Keegan Daniel and JJ Engelbrecht.

I think HM biggest problem is that he wants to do too much too soon. He has a gameplan that he's trying to enforce on the guys and it's not what they are used to. for him physicality is something that every player must have.

You mentioned he hasn't rested Keegan Daniel... the guy has been on the bench for nearly every match for the boks apart from the first test vs Argentina in Cape Town. I think a guy who should be rested much more than Daniel is Morne Steyn. He has played in every test match and Super Rugby game for the last 3 years. no other player in the squad has played as much rugby as he did, and I for think he's on the verge of crashing.

Stampkar, yes you right!! he brought it back... that is what SA rugby is about... "kallie, we phist goes frough him and phen overs him"... that is the SA way... you could see it when he dropped the fetcher in brossouw, you don't need a fetcher if you play "stampkar"... there are forwards in the backline as 1st receiver, to "stampkar" the ball up and gain advantage... this is the SA way... so by the way, what does HM boss expect of him :?

Stampkar, yes you right!! he brought it back... that is what SA rugby is about... "kallie, we phist goes frough him and phen overs him"... that is the SA way... you could see it when he dropped the fetcher in brossouw, you don't need a fetcher if you play "stampkar"... there are forwards in the backline as 1st receiver, to "stampkar" the ball up and gain advantage... this is the SA way... so by the way, what does HM boss expect of him :?

Go and F***ing ask them!!

the truth hurts.... especially coming from the opposition... so dont be mad at the icemn ... ;)</SPAN>

I've never seen you as opposition. you are the epitome of what every traditional rugby player, fan or supporter hate. a douchebag that lives in his home country but won't support any team or the national team. it's guys like you that never can say anything good about any other team or player apart from who you like that make us despise you. You are scum!

This was supposed to be an informative thread and then you come along and derail it. for what reason? your own personal enjoyment?? only you sit and laugh at your remarks. we don't find it funny or interesting.

If you can't produce anything that will contribute to the thread then stay the F*** away! you don't see me commenting at the ITM cup threads, purely because I haven't watched a single ITM cup game. this leads to what normal rational non-retarded people's action of NOT SAYING A ****ING THING, where they don't have the correct knowledge or info available to contribute positively.

I'm done! Go ahead TRF moderators, ban me! I'm tired of this useless ****!

I've never seen you as opposition. you are the epitome of what every traditional rugby player, fan or supporter hate. a douchebag that lives in his home country but won't support any team or the national team. it's guys like you that never can say anything good about any other team or player apart from who you like that make us despise you. You are scum!

This was supposed to be an informative thread and then you come along and derail it. for what reason? your own personal enjoyment?? only you sit and laugh at your remarks. we don't find it funny or interesting.

If you can't produce anything that will contribute to the thread then stay the F*** away! you don't see me commenting at the ITM cup threads, purely because I haven't watched a single ITM cup game. this leads to what normal rational non-retarded people's action of NOT SAYING A ****ING THING, where they don't have the correct knowledge or info available to contribute positively.

I'm done! Go ahead TRF moderators, ban me! I'm tired of this useless ****!

i don't support my national teams exactly because of what we are discussing and what this thread is about aswell as my earlier post... i don't want to be frustrated out of my mind everygame my team plays, with regards to team selection and game plan... for what? to be patriotic?? **** that...

This thread is about how poor/good HM is... so don't get mad at me for saying something negative about the man, his gameplan etc etc... other guys on this post did too... i don't see you going off at them ;) prob cuz i know more **** than they do about how SA plays cuz i live here...

i actually watch SA games, so i can comment... you don't watch ITM cup so you can't comment fair enough...please don't ban him guys, no need...

Latest posts