• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Millennium Magic weekend - matches thread

Wigan knockon!
Come on Saints :)

It's win win for me :p
If Saints win then I'm happy at that, if Wigan win then I get points in the prediction comp :lol:

SHRLFC just jizzed himself :p

16 - 16

Last edited:
Tompkins and Eastmond miss a DG each so it ends 16-16

What a game!
Wigan completely on top for over an hour then Saints with a spirited comeback

What a great game. Hopefully more games this season will be like that one. Been a good start for the Super League today (except for the Catalans vs Harlequins game).

Can't believe that Crusaders performance. That was immense. Some great rugby being played, always looking for an offload. Introduction of Sammut definitely made an impact (broke the game up quite a lot). I like Harries' plan of bringing him off the bench - Sammut is very unpredictable, so i guess tactics and safety first :p
Great win, just a shame about the huge pile up at the end. Really can't wait for next weeks match now :D

Great match by Crusaders!
Salford were so error strewn
Schifcofske back to his best, kicking and in general play
Sammut a class act

Matty Smith looked good for Salford in the first half, but it all tailed off afterwards

Shame that Crusaders are still on negative points after this win

My predictions got blown up, guess i need to get back into reading the Rugby League newspaper so i can make better predictions.

Just seen the Crusaders game ... and simply wow! Great start to the season.

Rhys Williams is a quality signing (well loaning) - Hopefully Warrington don't decide they want him back now, and Witt had a good game (penalty/missed tackle aside)

loved it!
Cas looked good but they let wakefield back in to it a few times, if we do that agains bigger teams we wont be as lucky, Chase absolutely ran things for us.

Giants and Wire both look very sharp, game could have gone either way

Crusaders were the surprise of the weekend aginst Salfords biggish new signings - samut was the game changer for sure.

Bulls should have had Leeds but didnt have the staying power and you cant give anything away aginst the Rhinos.

Quins did well to defend there lead for most of the game.

sts vs wigan was immense nothing between the two teams and a great comeback from sts

Anyone know what the crowd attendance was? And was it better than the last Millennium Magic?

Not brilliant:

The RFL have confirmed a revamp of the Magic Weekend, with it reverting to its original location in Cardiff and its Millennium Stadium, and it will see the opening round of the 2011 Super League season on the weekend of 12â€"13 February 2011. They have also gone back to the original format with the majority of the games being local rivalry games.

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; font-size: 90%;" width="100%" border="1" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr bgcolor="#c1d8ff"> <th rowspan="2" width="21%">Team</th> <th rowspan="2" width="6%">Score</th> <th rowspan="2" width="21%">Team</th> <th colspan="2">Match Information</th> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#efefef"> <th width="17%">Date and Time</th> <th width="7%">Crowd</th> </tr> <tr align="center" bgcolor="#f5faff"> <td align="left"> Huddersfield Giants</td> <td>28 - 18</td> <td align="left"> Warrington Wolves</td> <td>12 Feb 2011 13:00 GMT</td> <td>30,891</td> </tr> <tr align="center" bgcolor="#f5faff"> <td align="left"> Catalan Dragons</td> <td>4 - 11</td> <td align="left"> Harlequins RL</td> <td>12 Feb 2011 15:00 GMT</td> <td>30,891</td> </tr> <tr align="center" bgcolor="#f5faff"> <td align="left"> Castleford Tigers</td> <td>40 - 20</td> <td align="left"> Wakefield Trinity Wildcats</td> <td>12 Feb 2011 17:00 GMT</td> <td>30,891</td> </tr> <tr align="center" bgcolor="#f5faff"> <td align="left"> St Helens</td> <td>16 - 16</td> <td align="left"> Wigan Warriors</td> <td>12 Feb 2011 19:00 GMT</td> <td>30,891</td> </tr> <tr align="center" bgcolor="#f5faff"> <td align="left"> Crusaders Rugby League</td> <td>42 - 12</td> <td align="left"> Salford City Reds</td> <td>13 Feb 2011 12:00 GMT</td> <td>29,323</td> </tr> <tr align="center" bgcolor="#f5faff"> <td align="left"> Bradford Bulls</td> <td>28 - 32</td> <td align="left"> Leeds Rhinos</td> <td>13 Feb 2011 14:00 GMT</td> <td>29,323</td> </tr> <tr align="center" bgcolor="#f5faff"> <td align="left"> Hull FC</td> <td>22 - 34</td> <td align="left"> Hull KR</td> <td>13 Feb 2011 16:00 GMT</td> <td>29,323</td></tr></tbody></table>

A couple of thousand lower for each then the last time they were in Cardiff, but that said they numbers were up compared to Murrayfield.

I wonder if it would have been better to have had the MM next weekend without any 6 Nations!

I wonder if it would have been better to have had the MM next weekend without any 6 Nations!

Sky Sports were talking about this, I think it would of been much better off for them and the crowds could of been much stronger. I'm guessing that International Rugby rules when it comes to Wales and the other Home Nations.

That was an amazing 2 days. My first taste of live Rugby League and it was well worth it. Would have been better had some of you chaps came along too but ah well. All the games, apart from Quins Dragons were of high quality and fiercely competitive.

Fan banter was high and apart from some Warrington and St Helens fans, erm, mixing it up late on Saturday, it was trouble free and lots of fun. Best fans were either Wigan or Hull KR. Iforgot my camera so had to make do with the iphone link

That was an amazing 2 days. My first taste of live Rugby League and it was well worth it. Would have been better had some of you chaps came along too but ah well. All the games, apart from Quins Dragons were of high quality and fiercely competitive.

Fan banter was high and apart from some Warrington and St Helens fans, erm, mixing it up late on Saturday, it was trouble free and lots of fun. Best fans were either Wigan or Hull KR. Iforgot my camera so had to make do with the iphone link

I would of loved to go but due to college and lack of transport wasn't able to, I'm still yet to go to a Super League game and have only been to a few Gateshead Thunder games. I would love for such a big event like the MM or a Grand Final to be my first tate of live Super League.

Can honestly say if I never went to MM about three years ago and sat with St Helens RLFC I deffo would not really be watching RL now, its a fantastic day out, as I said previously its a pitty they could not have put it a weekend forward because I do feel the crowds would have been slightly bigger.

I think the timing of the weekend is wrong full stop. May bank holiday was and is best for it.

It was a great weekend of rugby, Saints fighting back from the dead against Wigan in a game we ought to have won easily with the chances we had to score in the first half. The Leeds-Bradford match was sensational, had absolutely everything including appalling video refereeing decisions and the lesser spotted penalty try. Fantastic advert for the weekend.

What did you think of the Crusaders match (presuming you watched it?)?
Thought it was a cracking match, and a good show of why Crusaders should still be up (though I know it's not really their performance that warrants them losing their license)

I didn't miss a second of any of the games. Crusaders looked good, matched by how poor Salford were, didn't get as much local support as I was expecting. Then again Harlequins is probably closer, certainly 100000% easier to get to from Cardiff

Latest posts