• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Missed Drop Goal ...

M

MightyQuin

Couple of times I tried a drop goal attempt in this game, and missed wildly with the ball going dead ... I ended up being given a 5m scrum.

I'm pretty sure this should be a 22 drop shouldn't it??! Anyone else noticed this?

Originally posted by MightyQuin@Feb 6 2006, 10:20 PM
Couple of times I tried a drop goal attempt in this game, and missed wildly with the ball going dead ... I ended up being given a 5m scrum.

I'm pretty sure this should be a 22 drop shouldn't it??! Anyone else noticed this?
Yep, I also had a few restarts when I had just been scored against too.

Originally posted by MightyQuin@Feb 6 2006, 10:20 PM

Ooops ... sounds like a buggette.
<

One of the problems with making a game where not too many people are familiar with the rules of the sport is that QA (testing) can overlook this kind of thing. We did have some knowledgable rugby types but they were in a minority.

It's not actualy a bug as the game carries on and does something sensible. It's what I call a simulation bug ie. it breaks the rules of the sport.

Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish+Feb 6 2006, 11:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trev@Swordfish @ Feb 6 2006, 11:37 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-MightyQuin
@Feb 6 2006, 10:20 PM

Ooops ... sounds like a buggette.
<

One of the problems with making a game where not too many people are familiar with the rules of the sport is that QA (testing) can overlook this kind of thing. We did have some knowledgable rugby types but they were in a minority.

It's not actualy a bug as the game carries on and does something sensible. It's what I call a simulation bug ie. it breaks the rules of the sport. [/b]
It’s not a surprise, Rugby has become over complicated and many of the rules have exceptions. Must be a nightmare to code.

Scrums are never given when the ball is kicked dead either. Should be a scrum where the ball was kicked from, but I don't really care.

Still a fun game.

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Feb 7 2006, 12:26 AM
Scrums are never given when the ball is kicked dead either. Should be a scrum where the ball was kicked from, but I don't really care.

Still a fun game.
They are if you took the ball back into the ingoal.

I think you have misunderstood me.

If you punt the ball (say you're going for a deep touch) and the ball rolls over the try-line and over the dead-ball line, or touch-in-goal, it should be a scrum against the kicking team, taken where the ball was kicked from.

That's the law.

Originally posted by lazy_chesnut@Feb 7 2006, 02:09 AM

If you punt the ball (say you're going for a deep touch) and the ball rolls over the try-line and over the dead-ball line, or touch-in-goal, it should be a scrum against the kicking team, taken where the ball was kicked from.

That's the law.
Yes, unless it's deemed to be an attacking kick by the ref. Then it's just a drop out on the 22.

It's the exceptions that make it a challenge for coders.

Trev, or anyone else for that matter...can you get penalised for crossing/obstruction?

Maybe offside?

A list would be prefered...cheers.

The crossing offence is really tricky to grasp in a game to be honest. Would be ncie for it to be perfected and added in the coming years though.

:huh:

Crossing is simple; if you block a tackler or run into your own player with the ball, your crossing.

If they can do offside, they can do that.

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Feb 7 2006, 03:15 AM
Offside features, but once again crossing has no effect.
The only penalty I've seen called is for an early or late tackle.

Offside certainly doesn't get called and crossing never happens as far as I can see.

Early tackle and late tackle is something missing from the EA series unfortunently.

The crossing offense can be hard to grasp in a game if they cannot grasp basic gameplay and fun factors. With EA anyway... :p

Originally posted by Kirwan+Feb 7 2006, 02:36 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-lazy_chesnut
@Feb 7 2006, 02:09 AM

That's the law.
Yes, unless it's deemed to be an attacking kick by the ref. Then it's just a drop out on the 22.

[/b]
I didn't think there was an exception to this rule?

Originally posted by Air Ben@Feb 7 2006, 03:23 AM
Early tackle and late tackle is something missing from the EA series unfortunently.

The crossing offense can be hard to grasp in a game if they cannot grasp basic gameplay and fun factors. With EA anyway... :p
Crossing rarely gets called in real rugby these days. I don't think it's a big deal if it's missing.

The main penalties in rugby are centred around the ruck area - killing the ball, hands in the ruck, not releasing, not entering from the back feet, or the defensive line creeping up too far.

Unfortunately this is complex and is sadly omitted from video games.

What we try really hard to do is not penalise the player for things beyond his control - this means that we do let a lot of stuff go.

Crossing requires 2 players. As you will always be controlling the ball carrier, it means you will have run into a player controlled by the AI. If he's in a dumb position or running lines that you feel he shouldn't, it would be really annoying. So we do not call it.

Offisides do get called sometimes, but we let it go a lot - particularly if the offending player is off-screen. I know this isn't accurate as a sim, but it makes the game flow better.

Stuff around the ruck - killing the ball, hands etc. is really difficult to implement without changing the focus of the game. And I apologise to the hardcore rugby enthusiasts who subsequently think our game was too simplistic. What it does do though is allow the game to be played by novices and people who do not necessairly understand the rules. That's got to be good for our sport.

Originally posted by mikeeboy+Feb 6 2006, 03:24 PM-->
Originally posted by Kirwan@Feb 7 2006, 02:36 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-lazy_chesnut
@Feb 7 2006, 02:09 AM

That's the law.

I didn't think there was an exception to this rule? [/b]
According to the IRB site there aren't any exceptions when the ball is punted dead in goal ... the other team get the choice of a scrum or 22m drop-out.

A missed drop kick on the other hand just restarts with a 22m ... or at least, it does except in RC2006 ;)

Latest posts