• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

most overrated player and team in the 6 nations

No stats are liars darn liars. People have to realise players can be good but still overrated. Earls isn't as good as Trimble or Fitzgerald on the left wing and behind everyone at 13.

Don't make me laugh prove to me that Fitzgerald is better than earls on the wing guarantee you can't

Earls is a decent enough wing and a terrible centre - that's all there is to it really.

Don't make me laugh prove to me that Fitzgerald is better than earls on the wing guarantee you can't

<_< How can you prove anyone is better than someone. From what I've seen and I've seen a lot of them both Fitzgerald is better. Why does this notion make you laugh? Fitzgerald is very strong defensively, has a good boot and is a brilliant runner. His try scoring record isn't the best in the world not by a long shot but that was coming on loads before his injury.

<_< How can you prove anyone is better than someone. From what I've seen and I've seen a lot of them both Fitzgerald is better. Why does this notion make you laugh? Fitzgerald is very strong defensively, has a good boot and is a brilliant runner. His try scoring record isn't the best in the world not by a long shot but that was coming on loads before his injury.

He was also very impressive for the B&I Lions whereas Earls was not so sharp. That said, I like Earls, I think he's more of a natural finisher than any of our other wings, but he should never be played in the centre.

Anyway back on topic, I've noticed that there always seems to be a good bit of hype of Welsh second choice scrum halfs, with yer man Lloyd being the current guy getting bigged up. Is he any use or do you guys hate Mike Phillips as much as the rest of us?

Sorry I'm late. :)

But while I agree Earls is overrated by those down in Munster he is definitely underrated by us in the better provinces. :p
On him vs Fitzgerald I'd have to say FitzGerald is the better player. He was absolutely brilliant in 08-09 and then he got a long term injury and he was even quite good coming back from injury but then had a confidence knock after being played 15. Earls on the other hand hasn't quite reached that level of rugby yet and coming up to the 6n was only on a par with Fitzgerald who was finally coming out of some awful form.

He was also very impressive for the B&I Lions whereas Earls was not so sharp. That said, I like Earls, I think he's more of a natural finisher than any of our other wings, but he should never be played in the centre.

Anyway back on topic, I've noticed that there always seems to be a good bit of hype of Welsh second choice scrum halfs, with yer man Lloyd being the current guy getting bigged up. Is he any use or do you guys hate Mike Phillips as much as the rest of us?

Lloyd Williams is very good got a lot of potential he is very quick with his plays always trying to move the ball out fast and encourages the backs to run as yet to let Wales down when he comes on and he will be replacing Phillips in the team if he carries on the way he has already.

Personally I am not Phillips biggest fan I find he tends to be greedy and takes to long to pass the ball out and always takes a huge step back to kick the ball, other than that hes not a bad player.

I can't understand everyones hate for Phillips. He is a world class player and is probably one of the best 9's in the world and suits the Welsh style of play who don't need quick service because the have four armored trucks to run at the other backline and as all of us Irish know he can score a try (Jesus I accidentally just wrote goal, whats wrong with me) or two.

When Shane Williams was asked wether he would change Phillips and play someone else this is his response and I can agree with that if I am honest.

"Mike's doing a sterling job. He came away from the Ireland game with a man-of-the-match performance. What Mike gives compared with other nines is different. What he brings to the side at the moment is maturity and even though he's not that old himself he's one of the oldest in the squad and you need experience in key areas. He's used to having to tell the big boys to run around that field and work hard and he communicates well with the 10. There are other players pushing Mike at the moment. I think Lloyd Williams has got one of the best passing games in world rugby at nine. He's clever, he's quick as well and he's played well every time he's featured for Wales. But Mike for me, because of his experience and the way he can control the forwards, would be my first choice".

Even though he was Ireland's top try scorer in world cup, if im correct he scored the same amount of tries as Israel Dagg and Adam Ashley-Cooper he was the joint 3rd top try scorer in the rwc 2011, where was the Leinster and Ulster players when we needed them, People need to lay off Earls on here its pi**ing me off.

One of them was winning player of the pool, the other was winning man of the match against Australia and with his other Leinster buddy was actually providing Ireland with a scrum, not that Buckley wasn't doing a sterling job.....

Daisuke Ohata has scored the most test tries ever..... he must obviously be the best winger ever if stats don't lye.

I think Earls is a good player but I don't think he is as good as alot of players think he is. I love statistics but when using them to judge a player in this context is does not work.

Anyway back to the topic and on Phillip's I completely disagree that he is suited to Wales. I am not a fan of Phillip's as he really lacks consistency, when he's playing well he's great but when he's crap he really can pull the performance of Wales down with him. A quick passer would be much better for wales as it would give their backs even more quick ball which would really put Welsh attack in a great position.

Was really starting to get fed up of spikey mike prior to the RWC warm ups due to his pondering and dithering (apart from when he takes it on his self which was far too often). Then he got his **** together and imo was THE 9 at the RWC (controversial).

He seemed to slip back to his old ways against the scots bit hopefully it was just a temporary slip. Love him or hate him, he is able to lift the whole team by a piece of individual brilliance and he keeps the opposing backrow honest. On top of that it doesn't hurt to have a bit of maturity (ok... experience) in this exciting but very young Welsh team.

As for Lloyd Williams, lightning quick, clever, ballsy and great distribution... the future's bright, the future is red... well I'll keep telling myself that anyway.

I don't understand how a 19-year-old who's won 18 caps, scored 10 tries (including 2 against the World Champions on his debut), has generally been really impressive against the opposition he's come up against and is a shoo-in for a Lions Test wing spot can be disregarded as not worth the hype...? It just doesn't add up to me - do you watch much rugby?

As I said I think he's a good winger and maybe overrated is a bit harsh, I guess I'll reserve my judgement until I've seen him a few more times. I watched him during the WC for the first time and he was impressive against Fiji & Namibia, but was well marked and shutdown against the stronger teams. Maybe he just had a quiet game.

From those named McFadden is actually an inside center none of the others have played there much or at all. From Coonor's further along the line options Spence is kind of being trialled there and personally I feel Farrall will move there. McFadden is the only one who's ready for international rugby at 12.

Farrell's naturally a 12 who's played a lot of 13 and even wing this season to accommodate other players. My guess is that whether Farrell ends up at 12 or 13 depends on which of Marshall and Cave becomes the better player (I like Spence, but feel his lack of smarts and natural handling compared to the other two could be fatal, and think he'll end up being used for Ulster like McFadden currently is for Leinster - a first choice replacement across most of the backline but not starting when everyone's there).

I think people somewhat underrate Earls as a winger, but as a centre and all-round player he's overrated in my book. Just doesn't do enough for the players around him by and large.

Ritchie Gray.

Just coz he's dyed his hair, is about 7 feet tall and ponces around in the backs doesn't make him a great lock.

I watched him against Wales and he kept appearing in the three-quarters and helped butcher some passing moves. There was one instance where Scotland lost a turnover as nobody went in to clear the ruck. Had he gone in and done a bit of spade work instead of playing at being a centre it might have turned out better.

I think that is more to gameplan, in my opinion he plays a far tighter game for Glasgow than Scotland.

ANd he doesn't dye his hair ;)

ANd he doesn't dye his hair ;)

Do you have inside info? :D

Well maybe Scotland should stop sticking him out in the backs. They already have enough problems passing the ball without big lunks getting in the way.

Another overrated player: Captain Robshaw

Decent performer for 'Quins he may be but why elevate him to captain the side? All that "warrior" nonsense is absurd. The press called him a "warrior" for picking a fight with Chris Cusiter - the smallest man on the field.

Picking a captain first is nonsense. It harks back to when Jack Rowell picked Phil de Glanville as captain and left Guscott out for a whole season as a result.

Do you have inside info? :D

Well maybe Scotland should stop sticking him out in the backs. They already have enough problems passing the ball without big lunks getting in the way.

If he does, well then his entire family does a pretty good job of it!

Riche Gray a big lunk :eek:

I'd argue he is one of our best ball carriers, forwards and backs included.

I'd argue he is one of our best ball carriers, forwards and backs included.

Playing for Scotland - that's not saying much! :lol:

He's a good player, no doubt, but I think he gets more praise coz he stands out visually. Like Botha with his red scrum cap.

Anyway, back to more serious issues:

"I was 15 when we all started dying our hair at school one day and I liked it. I've been blond ever since."

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...t-off-any-girls-who-may-want-to-share-it.html

Although it is from The Sun so not the most reliable source.

Playing for Scotland - that's not saying much! :lol:

He's a good player, no doubt, but I think he gets more praise coz he stands out visually. Like Botha with his red scrum cap.

Anyway, back to more serious issues:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...t-off-any-girls-who-may-want-to-share-it.html

Although it is from The Sun so not the most reliable source.

You may well be right, just every picture I have seen of Richie and his brother they have had the same hair colour, so assumptions were made.

But then he does a damn fine job of it, must have it re-done pretty regularily considering how muddy it would get in Rabo pro.*

And yes players who stand out are bound to be overated, they are just much more visible on the pitch. Prime example is Beast Mtwarira if one was ever needed

*I will admit that I know next to nothing on hair dyeing, my only experience was when I accidentally used my moms shampoo... it was to dye red hair <_<

Latest posts