• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

movies

Originally posted by rideau@Feb 26 2005, 11:14 AM
locksley have you got others movies?
Bloody hell mate. Just have a look around the forum, you'll be bound to find more.

The one thing that impressed me about Larkham try was that a set play was called and then he decided not to pass as he saw the gap awesome!! I know Locks mention that you did not have to pass in set plays but to see it done in game great stuff. Long live the side view looks so much better.

Woohoo, I think it looks even more stunning when you see a good ol fashion set peice like that result in a try, and the brumbies really worked that try, and they took a battering too...
<

Another thing in the Super12 clip did you see the AI pretty good i reckon they new they had advantage and played into a position for drop goal(which they missed) as they knew they had nothing to lose as they would get the penalty anyway really looking promising.

Originally posted by TheBokke@Feb 26 2005, 10:44 PM
Another thing in the Super12 clip did you see the AI pretty good i reckon they new they had advantage and played into a position for drop goal(which they missed) as they knew they had nothing to lose as they would get the penalty anyway really looking promising.
Yep, yep.

Same happened in the Uruguay match v Australia, but they didn't even have advantage and went for it (and scored it.)

Also, I could swear that in the Wales v NZ match, in one of the footage clips, Wales (AI) go for a drop goal at some point as well.

that uruguay drop goal was immense ... look at the distance he was out for it too ...

... now I know it was the AI doing the kicking (and so it can judge the angle/distance much quicker then a human player), but this has added to my (already increasing) belief that there is a kicking game hidden away in this version of Rugby, it'll just take a bit more effort/practice

Originally posted by raziel_eire@Feb 27 2005, 07:13 AM
that uruguay drop goal was immense ... look at the distance he was out for it too ...

... now I know it was the AI doing the kicking (and so it can judge the angle/distance much quicker then a human player), but this has added to my (already increasing) belief that there is a kicking game hidden away in this version of Rugby, it'll just take a bit more effort/practice
There might be.

Wonder what they've thought up if your World Cup Final ends in a draw after extra time, and sudden death . . . maybe there's your kicking 'game' albeit dropkicking.

when saying "kicking game", I was referring to tactical kicking (Ireland's gameplan) actually being a viable tactic as opposed to a kicking mini-game hidden deep within the game's lines of code...

... but then you knew that capt. (you're Comedy Genius of the Year after all!
<
)

... but I thought I'd clarify my thoughts for anyone else wondering what I was babbling about

It would be very nice if kicking is better than it's been made out to be. Doubt it, but can only hope.

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 27 2005, 12:58 PM
It would be very nice if kicking is better than it's been made out to be. Doubt it, but can only hope.
It doesn't look very promising does it cpt... But I'm sure if you get used to it it'll be ok. It's a shame they couldn't use the kicking from Rugby 2001! That was actually very good and acurate! I liked the way that if you kicked with a prop the circle for where it would land was massive (indicating possible inacuracy), but if you gave it to your fullback of flyhalf it was very small

Well, I don't see it as being as bad as predicted or as first thought, maybe its not great - but I certainly think its useable

- In the PI v Bar game, Olly Barkley (the Player) hit the ball some serious yards on a couple of occasions
- In the Australia v Uruguay game, the drop goal for Uruguay (the CPU) was from almost the 40m line and the ball dropped a good 10m further back

Its these examples that have shown me distance can be achieved if the ball is given to the correct player in some space (plus a bit of practice and chosing the right moments to kick is also needed)
I didn't see the same kind of yardage in the earlier video's which got me thinking that kicking (defensively anyways) wasn't really much of an option... I don't want to have to run the ball out of my own 22 ever time I get pushed back in the game

Grubber kicks still look a bit hit and miss... but generally I think the kicking looks a lot better then I first imagined !!!

I agree with most of what you're saying, and we'll find out how much we like/hate the kicking very soon.

In a couple of these new clips, maybe even in the PI's v Baa's, some of the kicks into space didn't have the freak bounce-right-angle-to-touch. This made me smile.

Sideview still seems best for the biggest thumps.

I think the grubbers have looked great -- granted, I've only seen 3, all in the PI's match, but I loved how one of them at midfield (2nd half) bounced off the opponents legs, and the one that set up the try, well I've seen stranger things happen in real matches than a grubber bouncing up and hitting the cross bar, but what I loved was that it added that severe element of unpredictablity when the ball is in the loose.

I'm not holding my breath, cause I'm still undecided from all the footage in total, but I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Thought I'd throw up in this thread that Gandalf has spotted that EA has put up a new Trailer/Clip for Rugby 101 on their website. I'm putting it in here as I don't think a lot of people (anyone) has seen it in one of the Rugby 2005 threads.

It's a neat-enough little clip that goes through some of the laws. I'm not sure exactly who it would be for *cough* Americans *cough* but check it out anyway as it might feed some peoples cravings.

http://www.easports.com/games/rugby2005/videos_page.jsp

Originally posted by captainamerica@Mar 2 2005, 10:29 AM
It's a neat-enough little clip that goes through some of the laws. I'm not sure exactly who it would be for *cough* Americans *cough* but check it out anyway as it might feed some peoples cravings.
*cough* Andy Robinson *cough*

Latest posts