• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster Rugby to begin €20m Musgrave Park development

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfkfeyc.../#ixzz0hy5pGJMe

MUNSTER Rugby is about to embark on a €20million development of Musgrave Park, the first phase of which will see an increase in ground capacity from 7,000 to 12.500 by the third quarter of 2011.

Ultimately, the hope is to increase the capacity of the ground to between 18,000 and 22,000 in a development that could facilitate other sports or special events in years to come, probably by 2014 at the latest.
Former Munster Branch President Niall O'Driscoll confirmed yesterday that phase one of the project – the demolition of the current tiny west stand to be replaced by a state-of-the-art 6,500 capacity structure – would begin in January of next year and should be completed in time for the start of the new season in September.

Up to €8m has been allocated to allow for completion of the first part of the project.

O'Driscoll emphasised this would only be the start of the overall development, plans for which have been drawn up and plans that include a further big seating arrangement of similar size on the east side of the ground. Munster Rugby has also decided to develop the areas at either end of the ground and may include some seating in those areas that are currently terraced. Permission has already been granted for the west stand development and plans are in the process of being lodged to complete the overall plan which ran into trouble because of some local objections and lack of cooperation from a small number of city councillors.

Musgrave Park, even with full development, will not be allocated Heineken Cup games for up to six more seasons, but could benefit by hosting big Magners League games, thus helping to generate serious revenue for the local economy.

O'Driscoll said yesterday: "We have now decided to drive ahead with the development to bring the capacity eventually to something between 18,000 and 22,000.

"All along we were looking to have permission for the entire project, but we have now decided to start with what we have permission for and have plans to continue that around the ground. At this stage, it is essential to have an overall plan to provide a state-of-the-art stadium for our supporters, for the people of Cork and the people of Munster.

"By doing it that way we're showing everyone we are serious about staying in Musgrave Park."[/b]
At 18,000 to 22,000 in size, Musgrave Park becomes a much more viable option to host some of the bigger Magners League games than it does at present. It also opens up th possibility of hosting smaller international fixtures in both rugby and soccer. Perhaps even hosting a leg on the Sevens series or hosting an underage World Cup becomes possible with this redevelopment.

Maybe the current IRFU review on Connacht's viability will see them relocate to Cork now ;)

Was talking to a Munster Union official about this and he said there is a Master-Plan using Stadia

(Thomond Park, RDS, Musgrave Park, Ravenhill and Lansdowne Rd with possibilities of Windsor Park and Croker being explored)

IRFU exploring possibility of hosting a World Cup.

Looks like they're using the GAA's slow development plan for Croker? Seems wise, and I guess they're getting it at half price compared to a couple of years ago. Mind you, I hear the price of cement has gone up alot + "green" taxes on top of that.

What does the IRFU have to borrow?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 12 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Looks like they're using the GAA's slow development plan for Croker? Seems wise, and I guess they're getting it at half price compared to a couple of years ago. Mind you, I hear the price of cement has gone up alot + "green" taxes on top of that.

What does the IRFU have to borrow?[/b]
I follow GAA and I don't understand why GAA wont open up.

Been old-fashioned and traditional me @&%.
They opened Croker and this year made a PROFIT of was it â'¬60million.

Imagine if they did it on widespread like Munster would use Gaelic Grounds or Pairc Ui Chiomh I sure for H'Cup semi's if they were ever drawn at home and GAA will be rolling in it. (Yet they still charge ridiculous prices)
Croker is a magnificent Stadi and deserves to be shown on the world stage.

If you are a GAA man then you would be thankful the GAA isn't a profit driven organization. ALL of the Croker money went directly into underage coaching at a greassroot level afaik.

Positive move from the IRFU redeveloping Musgrave too btw, huge potential in Cork in the long run.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 12 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If you are a GAA man then you would be thankful the GAA isn't a profit driven organization. ALL of the Croker money went directly into underage coaching at a greassroot level afaik.

Positive move from the IRFU redeveloping Musgrave too btw, huge potential in Cork in the long run.[/b]
MunsterMan if you believe that about all the money reinvested and non-profit crap :angry:
That is official view but everyone know's the profits help PAY individuals etc.
Yet players dont get a cent BUT that for another topic on another day I guess.

As for Musgrave, yes it a great move but wonder how it'll work as Thomond is offical home venue for Minster and must host all H'Cup games and at least 6 ML games.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 13 2010, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 12 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Positive move from the IRFU redeveloping Musgrave too btw, huge potential in Cork in the long run.[/b]
MunsterMan if you believe that about all the money reinvested and non-profit crap :angry:

As for Musgrave, yes it a great move but wonder how it'll work as Thomond is offical home venue for Minster and must host all H'Cup games and at least 6 ML games.
[/b][/quote]

Being quite involved in to GAA I can tell that that statement is utter crap. Since the opening of Croke Par to foreign sports a huge amount of money has filtered throught to the lower levels. Here in Wicklow countless clubs have seen new facilities built (my own club will boast 4 senior pitches, 2 junior pitches, an all weather pitch and a full gym by the end of the year), development officers have been appointed to encourage hurling and football with pretty hefty budgets at their disposal and the county developments have seen huge funding pumped into them. That's aside from the new record levels of underage games taking place at the moment by the way and a brand new Centre of Excellence planned for Avondale which will host all county teams in Wicklow. And this is all in probably the worst organised county in the country! So get yisser facts right there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 13 2010, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 13 2010, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 12 2010, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Being quite involved in to GAA I can tell that that statement is utter crap. Since the opening of Croke Par to foreign sports a huge amount of money has filtered throught to the lower levels. Here in Wicklow countless clubs have seen new facilities built (my own club will boast 4 senior pitches, 2 junior pitches, an all weather pitch and a full gym by the end of the year), development officers have been appointed to encourage hurling and football with pretty hefty budgets at their disposal and the county developments have seen huge funding pumped into them. That's aside from the new record levels of underage games taking place at the moment by the way and a brand new Centre of Excellence planned for Avondale which will host all county teams in Wicklow. And this is all in probably the worst organised county in the country! So get yisser facts right there.
[/b][/quote]
Never disputed money wasn't being filtered through as I can assure you it is but just that not 100% of it is.

And even if I wrong and it is 100% being filtered through then what is up with GAA as they are making bundles of cash that can benefit smaller clubs etc and promote games.
Like the GAA can only fill Croker when Dublin play or All-Ireland final like.
And my comments come after 10clubs in my area Clare/Limerick applied for funding and only 4 got money.

So while Munster has two state-of-the-art stadia, Connacht are left with worse facilities than both of the schools in my area? Plus, on top of this, they are paying the likes of Howlett and de Villers millions to stay in Cork. I've never been to Galway, (My dad once said it was "One of his favourite holidays he's ever been on", but he is from Mythr) but is it really not worth developing? The Dragons and Scarlets younger generations comnig through means that all four Welsh regions are finally begining to make a push on the League, while Connacht aren't getting anywhere near the support they need to do so.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 15 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So while Munster has two state-of-the-art stadia, Connacht are left with worse facilities than both of the schools in my area? Plus, on top of this, they are paying the likes of Howlett and de Villers millions to stay in Cork. I've never been to Galway, (My dad once said it was "One of his favourite holidays he's ever been on", but he is from Mythr) but is it really not worth developing? The Dragons and Scarlets younger generations comnig through means that all four Welsh regions are finally begining to make a push on the League, while Connacht aren't getting anywhere near the support they need to do so.[/b]

Galway is a brilliant place. I'd recommend going there to anyone. Of all the ML trips you can take Galway and Edinburgh are the best.

However it isn't as easy as saying Munster has 2 good stadiums and Connacht none. Fact is Limerick has a population of roughly 90,000 and Cork around 250,000. Add to that the far that both cities have rich rugby histories and you can't deny that they are both worthy ofvery good stadia.

Galway on the other hand has alot of problems. It's a smaller city (approx 70,000) and rugby plays fourth fiddle to Football, Soccer and Hurling. While Galwegians and Corinthians are both well respected clubs they're not in the same league as say Shannon or Cork Con. Fact is there just isn't as much interest in rugby in Connacht as in Munster, just look at Connacht's attendances.

I am however all in favour of serious investment in the Connacht branch but in my opinion the Stadium would be one of the last things to go in place. We don't want to end up with a situation like Llanelli's where the stadium is at best one fifth full for most ML games. Firstly some serious efforts have to go into promoting the brand of Connacht rugby. Then a stronger squad has to be established. This could be done quite easily if the IRFU was willing to put in place some kind of loan system allowing Leinster, Ulster Munster players to spend a season or two at Connacht to develop. Imagine a Connacht backline of Keatley, Carr, Mc Fadden, Dave Kearney, Matthews and Ian Whitten. Lethal.

So to sum up: Improve standards first, then the stadiums.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 15 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So while Munster has two state-of-the-art stadia, Connacht are left with worse facilities than both of the schools in my area? Plus, on top of this, they are paying the likes of Howlett and de Villers millions to stay in Cork. I've never been to Galway, (My dad once said it was "One of his favourite holidays he's ever been on", but he is from Mythr) but is it really not worth developing? The Dragons and Scarlets younger generations comnig through means that all four Welsh regions are finally begining to make a push on the League, while Connacht aren't getting anywhere near the support they need to do so.[/b]
Dunc point your missing is simply, Munster have the demand and Connacht don't.

Howlett and De Villiers are paid 90% from Munster's own income (Adidas and Toyota etc, Adidas also payed large chunk of Thomond Park bill and recouped majority in All Blacks game)

Munster have a massive fan-base in Limerick (the home of Munster) but also Cork who have massive support too.
Connacht can't fill stadium.

Munster fill 26000 weekly in Thomond and 12000 in Musgrave (both Capacity) while Connacht struggle to get few thousand in so what sense would it make upgrading The Sportsground (which has an awful layout to begin with)

But I agree Connacht do deserve more backing finacially but well at look of it IRFU see Ireland as a 3 province country it seems.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 15 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 15 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Howlett and De Villiers are paid 90% from Munster's own income (Adidas and Toyota etc, Adidas also payed large chunk of Thomond Park bill and recouped majority in All Blacks game)

Munster have a massive fan-base in Limerick (the home of Munster) but also Cork who have massive support too.

Munster fill 26000 weekly in Thomond and 12000 in Musgrave (both Capacity) while Connacht struggle to get few thousand in so what sense would it make upgrading The Sportsground (which has an awful layout to begin with)

But I agree Connacht do deserve more backing finacially but well at look of it IRFU see Ireland as a 3 province country it seems.
[/b][/quote]

Musgrave Park's capacity is 8500 and there's been more than one match this year in Thomand Park that hasn't reached capacity. 20,000 sure, but not full capacity.

Páirc Uí Chaoimh is a shithole and needs to be torn down and a new stadium built, it really is a terrible stadium. I do love sitting in the uncovered stand on a warm summers day though :) Cork County Board has acquired 22 acres in the Docklands and has plans for a 60,000 all seater stadium, which would just remind us all how small Lanesdowne is!

If Munster need a venue in Cork playing a few games in Páirc Uí Rinn is a better idea (capacity 18,000).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Mar 15 2010, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 15 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 15 2010, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Musgrave Park's capacity is 8500 and there's been more than one match this year in Thomand Park that hasn't reached capacity. 20,000 sure, but not full capacity.
[/b][/quote]
Cheers wans't 100% sure on capacity of Musgrave.
And while seats in Thomond weren't filled tickets were purchased.
Connacht game was empty(ish) (17000 or so) because icy conditions and timing(Festive period)

But majority of times Munster have close to 23k or 24k per game which is super.

And not only is Pairc Ui Chaoimh a very old stadium, it take forever to walk to :p
Still as was said can't beat the walk along dirt track to uncovered stand on a sunny day B)

Good point actually. Both Pairc Ui Chaoimh and Pairc Ui Ring are in a state of true disrepair. If I was involved in sport in Cork I would have looked to try and get a multi purpose stadium with a capacity of around 30,000. Perhaps the Munster branch would be unwilling actually, GAA stadia aren't best suited to rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 16 2010, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good point actually. Both Pairc Ui Chaoimh and Pairc Ui Ring are in a state of true disrepair. If I was involved in sport in Cork I would have looked to try and get a multi purpose stadium with a capacity of around 30,000. Perhaps the Munster branch would be unwilling actually, GAA stadia aren't best suited to rugby.[/b]
Lets not forget the GAA are investigating Nemo because IRFU used facilities there recently.

But Feicarsinn you got it there, a large Multi-purpose stadium would be perfect for Cork even if they let soccer club in or something.

connacht need more financial backing from the irfu. however i think the two italian sides will help as it will alow people to see connacht win a bit more. connacht are a good side just look at this year in europe they havnt lost a game yet. it's just the magners league is such a hard league to win in. anyway winning=support=money=better stadium

Latest posts