• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Write-Up On Where Aus Went Wrong

dan-the-man

Academy Player
I'm getting a bit annoyed at how many people are saying things like "Australia
suck", "Quade Cooper's not that good" etc etc.
When the Reds won the Super 15, many people, myself included, saw it as a sign
of how strong Australian rugby is. I still believe we were right. Yes, Australia
lost to Ireland. Yes, they looked bitterly average against the All Blacks
yesterday, but I still believe Australia is very close to New Zealand in terms
of rugby - they are just playing nowhere close to their full potential.

A big issue that has come up is that Quade Cooper "sucks" in big games. I
say this is false. My theory is that it is Will Genia that sucks in big games and he
provides absolutely NO good ball for Quadey. If you go back and watch the
Reds in any arb game in which the pressure was minimal, count the amount of
times Genia kicked. When you watch one of
those and then you watch a Wallabies game straight after, you won't believe it's
the same person.

The very pillar of the Reds' glory was the Genia/Cooper combo. These two guys were
constantly producing magic from everywhere on the park, holding onto the ball
and spreading it across the backline. Genia and Cooper perfected the "Loop"
move several times in this years Super Rugby comp. But when Genia puts on the gold jersey, he
suddenly looks identical to the out-of-form Fourie du Preez that annoys us South Africans,
in that he box-kicks from the majority of rucks. People familiar with me on this
forum tell me I am like a broken record with this box-kick thing, since I
complain about it so much. I do so because it simply does not seem to get
across, and it is the single biggest mistake a rugby team can make. People don't
realize that the box-kick is single-handedly losing teams games. The box-kick is
the worst thing that has ever happened to rugby. How often have New Zealand, the
only unbeaten team in this WC, box-kicked in comparison to all the other teams?
Much less.

Instead of doing a clever back-line move with Quadey, Genia kicks the ball straight up into
the air and down the opposition's throat! The reason Quade looks so bad is because he's had
to try produce the same level of magic he did in the S15 with very little or no go-forward
ball. If you go back and watch, the only touches Quadey seems to get is when he catches
kicks from the opposition. He hardly ever gets the ball in the first receiver
position. When Genia does pass, it always seems to be
to a retarded forward who thinks running straight at the defense is going to
accomplish something.

Evidence of this stupidity is when Aus were right at the AB's try-line
towards the end of yesterday's game. They constantly allowed the AB defense to
organize itself as they consistently went with the pick & go from the ruck. Instead of spreading it wide
with one of the most talented backlines ever seen, they gave it to
their co-ordless forwards who aimlessly run
straight at the black brick wall infront of them. Genia doesn't seem to have any brains
in this regard.

It seems that almost every time Genia runs, he breaks tackles and sets
up something special. This is why him kicking or passing to the forwards really
frustrates me. He should either have a dart himself, or create a move with Quadey at first-receiver.

Do
you guys really expect Quade to produce magic when the only
ball he gets is when he has to jump into the air to catch it with defenders
running at him? I don't blame him at all for his poor tournament. Clearly Robbie
Deans has told Genia to play a more defensive game,
and it has cost the Wallabies dearly.

Another thing is that there is so
much negative play from the Wallabies. Since when do Australia counter an
up-and-under with another up-and-under? That's not the Wallabies we know and
love (well, very few of us in South Africa)! The Australians are the guys that
make you sorry for kicking your possession away by running circles around your
team and displaying brilliant support play while working their way to the
try-line! This is how almost all the Ozzie teams did it in the S15, so why is it different at
international level?

Clearly, in terms of game plan and certain
selections, Robbie Deans has zero idea what he's doing. It is obvious that he's
told the guys to play a more defensive game, one that just isn't true to the
culture of Australian rugby. Amid this are some heinous inclusions (Berrick mother-f#*king Barnes?! Are
you kidding me with this guy?!?), and some revolting omissions (Beau Robinson
is one of the best flankers I have ever seen in my life. Luke Morahan and Rod Davies are also much
more talented back-line back-ups then Barnes or Anthony Fainga'a. Nathan Sharpe is one of the
best locks in world rugby, yet Vickerman starts over him?). We all
know this tri-nations didn't mean anything, and going forward, it's hard to see
Australia accomplish much with Deans as coach. My recommendation is that these
selections get fixed and the Wallabies follow the exact attacking premise of the
Reds. If they do this, New Zealand will be given a run for their money.

broken.jpg
...While agree Genia used the box-kick a bit too much in this game, I don't think Genia's box-kicking caused Cooper to kick the ball out on the full (twice), miss tackles, fail to control the game, and consistently throw the ball to no-one.....

Last edited:
Am I the only one here waiting for a new youtube video clip like the one of the dude crying and yelling "Leave Britney Alone"??? But where Dan is crying and yelling "Leave Quade Alone"!!

Quades a good player but he should NEVER EVER be compared to DC. The Reds had a good season and Quade was the man but then the media and some compared Quade to DC, some even saying that he was better but thats just wrong. They're 2 different players but one is more consistent. Quade had a bad game last night, he's a much better player than that, I've seen what he can do but in a big pressure game you cant afford to increase the pressure on your own team especially right from the very start.

Im not saying its Quades fault at all. There was 79 minutes to recover from that awful start. Many things went wrong for the Wallabies and it was all the All Blacks doing. Rugby never looked so beautiful,but then Woodcock came up with the first error after that the ABs went back to their ruthless skillful display and Woodcocks error wasnt even really crucial.

I dont think theres too much difference between the Wallies and the ABs despite that game last night which mightve suggested otherwise. If the Wallies played like the Reds, it wouldve been worse for the Wallies.

Very untrue and couldn't disagree more. They played the complete opposite way of the Reds and it didn't work out so well?

Well they're always gonna play different considering the different coaching plan, players and level.

Remember when the Crusaders were a machine?...and then John Mitchell came along and thought 'oh Ill just pick the Crusaders to be the All Blacks'. Well, the Crusader/All Blacks team wasnt too good when it came to international level.

Well they're always gonna play different considering the different coaching plan, players and level.

Remember when the Crusaders were a machine?...and then John Mitchell came along and thought 'oh Ill just pick the Crusaders to be the All Blacks'. Well, the Crusader/All Blacks team wasnt too good when it came to international level.

I'm not saying he must pick the entire Reds team. But the gameplan should definitely be the same

Reds rugby is not test rugby. You can't run around like the Reds do at an All Blacks defence in a knockout game.

Reds rugby is not test rugby. You can't run around like the Reds do at an All Blacks defence in a knockout game.

The whole point of my thread is, that's the attitude Robbie Deans has and where has did it get Aus this WC? I guarantee that Aus would've beaten Ireland had they played like the Reds

The All Blacks were way too good on the night. It was reminiscent of the first Bledisloe game. Can't subscribe to the "Genia no good in big games theory" though-he scored the match winning try in Brisbane when the All Blacks had the momentum and looked likely.

I'm not saying he must pick the entire Reds team. But the gameplan should definitely be the same

Quade was saying something along the lines of the All Blacks game plan was better than theirs. You might have a point with Deans game plan for this game, you also cant help but think about Deans being kiwi and all but HEY, bottom line I dont think Deans would purposely sabotage the Wallies. There is a possible issue there with Deans coaching but trust me, the Wallbies lost because of the All Blacks, thats all.

Yeah true that, the Reds attack was brilliant this year but Im not convinced its the way to go against the ABs or any tier 1 Rugby nation.

Sam, I didn't say he is purposefully sabotaging the Wallabies! I just rate that in terms of gameplan, he sucks. And you keep saying the Reds gameplan won't work at international level, but the opposite hasn't done so well either? The ABs play very similar rugby to the Reds, in that they spread it wide and look to offload and keep kicking to a minimum

Sam, I didn't say he is purposefully sabotaging the Wallabies! I just rate that in terms of gameplan, he sucks. And you keep saying the Reds gameplan won't work at international level, but the opposite hasn't done so well either? The ABs play very similar rugby to the Reds, in that they spread it wide and look to offload and keep kicking to a minimum

No, of course you didnt imply that Deans was sabotaging the Wallies at all, I just threw that out there because it was in my head at the time (kinda like a freestyle rapper if you will).

Well, I dont think it would work because Super Rugby at times can be high risk thats just my opinion. If the Reds play like the ABs then yeah of course they should adapt that playing style but IMO its just all easy said then done. Just because the ABs do it, it doesnt mean everyone can, not to that extent anyway.

You might be right dan, it could work.

man of the match for the AB's..Quade Cooper! lol had to say it..Australia need to stick to the traditional australian way of rugby.a technical game ripped out from the text book!..Instead of trying to play individually..Thats what AB's did! Played a technical game and stuck to the gameplan..just as England does, thats why the wallabies always lose to england in the WC, because of the same mentality of the game(text book). lol

Australia were playing 1 out..instead of a team...very unaustralian..lol

I think the Reds play is far more high risk than the AB's. S15 lends itself to that moreso than test rugby. Man for Man the Wallabies dont have the same cattle as the AB's. Genia, Beale, O'Connor, Vickerman, Pocock and Cooper(on his day) are exception to this and some achieve parity and even better sometimes. The others are limited at best. That is the difference.

I dont think theres too much difference between the Wallies and the ABs despite that game last night which mightve suggested otherwise. If the Wallies played like the Reds, it wouldve been worse for the Wallies.

Exactly no team would have beaten the AB's yesterday. Aussies need to look at the game as what it was, against a team at their peak, playing at home and with that much history driving them.

The wallabies have the potential to do the same in 4 years time if they don't make wholesale changes.

I hope Robbie Deans gets flung out of the Wallabies at the first oppertunity.

Graham Henry is retiring and I'd happily take Deans in the All Blacks. His strategy failed, but the crux of it is, Graham Henry lost a RWC QF. He's been planning this since then. He's spent four years making sure we can make a final and it worked out. Deans on the other hand has spent three years getting an aging Wallabies team to become a young and talented side, but realistically it was always going to be an up hill battle beating Henry this RWC. I'd take Deans in a heart beat. With out meaning to offend any Aussies, if Deans can take Australia's limited player pool, domestic structure and limited interest and keep them the #2 ranked team in the world, and make a semi-final of a RWC, I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do for New Zealand.

That's if Henry doesn't still want the job. I'd love to see him stay on for the next RWC.

Exactly no team would have beaten the AB's yesterday. Aussies need to look at the game as what it was, against a team at their peak, playing at home and with that much history driving them.

The wallabies have the potential to do the same in 4 years time if they don't make wholesale changes.

Oh I agree brother, the ABs played very very very good. They lifted to another level but I believe there is not too much between the two teams, if they played again this week Im sure it would be closer.

Last edited:
If you start pointing fingers at Genia, then by extension you need to point the fingers at the whole forward pack. Bar Pocock & Moore IMO, no one actually fronted against the AB's pack. The difference between the Reds and the Wallabies bar the level of competition they're playing at is the opponents they're playing against.

The Reds gained parity or dominance against most packs this year and gave Genia & Cooper time and space to do their magic. The key point of difference is whether or not the opposition will let you do that.

The problem with the Wallabies is that despite being behind in a number of circumstances this year, they've never really been able to adapt and adjust their strategies.

The worst part of the game for me - for the wallabies - was when they were camped in the AB's 22 with the last 5 minutes and they were trying to pick & go their way to a try. Seriously?

Behind by 14 points with 5 minutes remaining and trying to pick and go their way to a try? And then with a penalty and Genia's just standing there thinking what should they do?!?!

That was a tragedy.

Unfortunately for the world, they'll get better, they'll learn from this and the experience will be painful but it should help them grow.

Put it this way, Richie's has 2 World Cup failures, 102 test matches, multiple Bledisloe & 3nations & s15 victories and losses - Horwill's time is just beginning.

I hope Robbie Deans gets flung out of the Wallabies at the first oppertunity.

Graham Henry is retiring and I'd happily take Deans in the All Blacks. His strategy failed, but the crux of it is, Graham Henry lost a RWC QF. He's been planning this since then. He's spent four years making sure we can make a final and it worked out. Deans on the other hand has spent three years getting an aging Wallabies team to become a young and talented side, but realistically it was always going to be an up hill battle beating Henry this RWC. I'd take Deans in a heart beat. With out meaning to offend any Aussies, if Deans can take Australia's limited player pool, domestic structure and limited interest and keep them the #2 ranked team in the world, and make a semi-final of a RWC, I wouldn't mind seeing what he can do for New Zealand.

That's if Henry doesn't still want the job. I'd love to see him stay on for the next RWC.

True that, other than Warren Gatland, Steve Hansen there might be none better to run the All Blacks.