• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Name a 15 man team (<30 years old)

Watching NorthH vs Wellington and Ben Botica seems to be the standout flyhalf atm(He is on the winning team.) Seems to be outplaying Sopoaga? + H.Gear looks anonymous.

If Sopoaga ever plays for the AB's I'll eat my hat. Perenara is pretty bad at this (very early) stage of his career too. They've both been awful for Wellington this ITM cup.

Cruden is miles ahead of Blyendaal/Barrett/Anscombe too, they're all a couple of years away from being as good. I think James Marshall gets unfairly left out of these 'young players with potential' discussions as far as kiwi players go. He has had a much better season than the likes of sopoaga and anscombe.

James Marshall is 22 (almost 23), and is in his 4th seasons of NPC rugby - it is probably not surprising that he has looked more comfortable than the likes of Sopoaga/Anscombe who are both only 20 and are in their second seasons. Not saying Marshall is a not a good player, but he doesn't have the same potential as some of the other young players in my opinion. I'm not yet convinced about Sopoaga either, but he has shown flashes of brilliance with both Wellington and the Highlanders, and his goal-kicking has been quite impressive at times this year too. I would certainly rate him behind the likes of Barrett/Anscombe/Blyeendaal at this stage, but I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility of him making the AB's in future.

Watching NorthH vs Wellington and Ben Botica seems to be the standout flyhalf atm(He is on the winning team.) Seems to be outplaying Sopoaga? + H.Gear looks anonymous.

Ben Botica is another good young player, but he's always been a bit inconsistent - he plays some really good games then has some poor games. He is close to getting a Super Rugby contract, but he will probably miss out this year again.

Last edited:
IMO Aaron Smith is better now then Alby Mathewson, he's far more creative and a better passer and he's not bad defensively. Smith is a little bit small but he's tough, he will be in the AB's at some stage.

Botica is getting worse as Wellington are starting to gain more momentum and are infront. Superb kicking by Sopoaga not much spectacular in open play though.

IMO Aaron Smith is better now then Alby Mathewson, he's far more creative and a better passer and he's not bad defensively. Smith is a little bit small but he's tough, he will be in the AB's at some stage.

I like Aaron Smith (really happy to have him at the Highlanders) - looks great at ITM Cup level, but he has yet to really prove himself at Super Rugby level yet. He was reasonably good in his limited time for the Highlanders last year, but his decision making was a bit suspect at times (I'm sure that will have improved after another season of ITM Cup though). It is a bit unfortunate that he is stuck behind Cowan at the Highlanders, as he would be a certain starter for the Canes (though it may actually be better for him not being in the current Canes environment..).

Botica is getting worse as Wellington are starting to gain more momentum and are infront. Superb kicking by Sopoaga not much spectacular in open play though.

Sopoaga is usually far more dynamic in open play - he can break the line easily at times, but his decision making can be poor, and he does make quite a few basic errors. Goal-kicking was never a strength for Sopoaga, but Wellington has won several matches this year on the back of his goal-kicking.

To get us back off topic :D a team of under 25s for Wales

1. Ryan Bevington*
2. Ken Owens*
3. Craig Mitchell*
4. Bradley Davies*
5. Lou Reed
6. Dan Lydiate*
7. Sam Warburton*
8. Toby Faletau*
9. Tavis Knoyle*
10. Rhys Priestland*
11. George North*
12. Scott Williams*
13. Jonathan Davies*
14. Leigh Halfpenny*
15. Jamie Roberts*

Last edited:
To get us back off topic :D a team of under 25s for Wales

1. Ryan Bevington
2. Ken Owens
3. Craig Mitchell
4. Bradley Davies
5. Lou Reed
6. Dan Lydiate
7. Sam Warburton
8. Toby Faletau
9. Tavis Knoyle
10. Rhys Priestland
11. George North
12. Scott Williams
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Leigh Halfpenny
15. Jamie Roberts

Oooooh that's grim!

I have to get the rugby channel & watch more NH rugby because bugger all about their players.

The NZ & Australian U30 teams look like real quality. Some great up & comers.

A tactical facepalm?

images

I'm gonna go 5 better and name a team of under 25s!!!

Unfortunately for SA, we lose a lot of quality if you through out the 26/27 years olds but I'll give it a go..

1 Coenie Oosthuizen / Dean Greyling
2 Adriaan Strauss / Chiliboy Ralepelle
3 Eugene van Staden / WP Nel
4 Rynhardt Elstadt
5 Juandre Kruger
6 Heinrich Brussow
7 Dewald Potgieter / Ashley Johnson
8 Duane Vermeulen
9 Francois Hougaard
10 Sias Ebersohn / Elton Jantjies / Patrick Lambie
11 Lwazi Mvovo / Lionel Mapoe
12 Francois Steyn
13 Juan de Jongh
14 Bjorn Basson / JP Pietersen
15 Patrick Lambie / Jaco Taute / Louis Ludik

Guys that are older (+/-26/27) but might still do duty in 4 years time;
Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Tendai Mtawarira, Willem Alberts, Andries Bekker, Flip van der Merwe, Jaque Fourie

Young guys that might come in that are unknown outside SA (might get seen in S15 in the next year or two);
Eben Etzebeth(4/5), Siya Kolisi(7SA/8), Arno Botha (8), Boom Prinsloo(8), Johan Goosen(10), Francois venter (12), Johann Sadie (13/wing), Jurgen Visser (15)

Guys that are 27 or older and deserved to have played for the Springboks (but its probably too late for them);
Sarel Pretorius, Riaan Viljoen

No, that was exactly what I was doing. I know Aled Brew's name, what are you going to do about it?
Yeah, well I know Charles Bashleys name.

Wait... Tim Bashton?
Chris?
Ashley?
Asston?

He scored loadsa tries in the Six Nations....?

You win this round, Wales....:mad:

Guys that are 27 or older and deserved to have played for the Springboks (but its probably too late for them);
Sarel Pretorius, Riaan Viljoen

after this super15 season i cant think of any other scrumhalf who stood out like him in terms of FORM. i'm not talking about experience or any other crap.

1. Cian Healy *
2. Sean Cronin *
3. Stephen Archer
4. Kevin McLaughlin
5. Devin Toner
6. Donnacha Ryan *
7. Sean O'Brien *
8. Jamie Heaslip *
9. Conor Murray *
10. Johnny Sexton *
11. Luke Fitzgerald
12. Fergus McFadden *
13. Simon Zebo
14. Tommy Bowe *
15. Rob Kearney *

or put Fionn Carr in instead of Zebo. Carr looks pretty good at the moment.

Latest posts