• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nation Eligibilty Catch-All Thread

nah Lowe & Company only moved to play professional rugby. That's such a tenuous connection that residency should toll during that time. Same for all the French guys.

nah Lowe & Company only moved to play professional rugby. That's such a tenuous connection that residency should toll during that time. Same for all the French guys.
I meant citizenship in that last post, changed now, not that I think it changes your point.

I don't see it as much different than moving here to work for Google or whoever, its a job and once you're a citizen you should be able to do your job for Ireland. The weird thing obviously being that most jobs don't have an international representative level. But motive to move shouldn't be a consideration imo.

Don't think it's an opinion many will agree with but it's the way I see it.

Representing two nations is an issue for me though, I can understand it if it's a move from one tier to another but beyond that it's bullshit.

I'm a muppet. It's an old article that for some reason kind of popped up as a new one on their website. I did wonder why they had waited 9 months to produce it.

lol
He says his Dad is a proud Scotsman so if he did it for a year to honour his Dad then i dont mind it....and if world rugby make stupid laws then by all means he can exploit them for his own gain if he just wants to play international rugby.

I'd rather have Finlay Christie TBH. He's more Scottish than all our Springjocks combined.

I hope countries come out and say "this rule is stupid we will be using it until WR changes it".
I have no problem with countries using it and not getting in trouble but it shouldn't be the status quo. If the Pacific Nations want to use it in their tournaments and tests between them then fine. If the second tier of Rugby Europe Championships wants to use it so that Sweden can bring in some experience than that is great. It could be a great tool to get rugby knowledge into tier 3 nations.

It shouldn't be used in the World Cup or WCQ. I think that the Six Nations and any other tournament should be able to say that those players should be ineligible for that tournament. Maybe players should be permanently cap-tied for tournaments.

Cooney would be a weird one, not sure he offers anything more than the options already there, maybe just play george thorne.

Price was a bit meh in the AI's. Townsend doesn't seem to trust Horne and so it'd probably be a shoot out between Cooney and Ben White.

Italy introduce limit of 7 non-Italian qualified players in the Zebre and Benetton 23s. Positive for the long term but may cause short term pain and kill any hope Benetton have of reaching playoffs. A strange decision to make mid-season when squads have been constructed around different rules.

Hopefully it's a position taken from optimism at giving game time to a good generation of u20s from the past 2 or 3 years.

Italy introduce limit of 7 non-Italian qualified players in the Zebre and Benetton 23s. Positive for the long term but may cause short term pain and kill any hope Benetton have of reaching playoffs. A strange decision to make mid-season when squads have been constructed around different rules.

Hopefully it's a position taken from optimism at giving game time to a good generation of u20s from the past 2 or 3 years.

Pretty much agree with you 100%. Surely this is a move you make at the beginning or end of a season?

But this is likely a very good tihng for italian rugby with such a solid crop of youngsters coming through.

Good news on the player eligibility front. I never thought I'd type that. Am I missing something in the article below?

Scotland may be selecting capped Aussies and Englishmen but there are signs the NH Tier1 are going to have to increasingly depend on home grown players due to the residency changes. A sharp drop in the number of foreign born 6N players this year, particularly for Wales and Italy.

Even as an eligibility zealot I'd struggle to put anyone other than Scotland on the naughty step with these squads. I'm really surprised to see this improvement in a RWC year too when coaches will be desperately scraping around for any eligible player to give an edge. It bodes well. In contrast, tripe like this should be a rarity.

Twenty out of Scotland's twenty-one foreign-born players are not homegrown. This means 95% of Scotland's foreign-born players were trained and produced by rivals. Two-thirds of Scotland's foreign-born players have represented other countries in some capacity.
Even if I were to over egg it for the purposes of **** posting I wouldn't have thought it was that bad

People in Scotland are like "WTF!? Other countries can steal our players too. I didn't realise that."

Latest posts