• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Breakdown rules

What I dont understand is why is is considered to be so difficult/complicated.

its simply: everybody involved in tackle let go of player, then if on feet you can then compete for the ball as you have always been able to.

the biggest complaint as far as I am concerned is the RFU not getting the information to clubs efficiently enough.

when I was first told the laws i was to referee to I thought they were crap, my opinion was that (as a flanker) if I got to the tackle and the opposing team were not good enough to have a support player there immediately to clear me out then that was their fault! But after looking at those stats from earlier I can see how it is justified.

From the coaching sessions at my local club I can see how coaches are trying to teach technique of other areas of the ruck in order to get the advantage at the breakdown, I have now seen coaches concentrating on blitzing the ruck with high velocity and aggression so the ball can be turned over with the tackling player just rolling out of the way as if once you have tackled your job is done. This gives the ref no way of pinging the tackler as he rolls away straight away.

Rugby is a progressive sport and it trys its hardest to change with the times if it recognises a problem, thats what I see this as.

Latest posts