• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New-look MTV back for fans

W

woosaah

New-look MTV back for fans
02 August 2006 
By ARWEN HANN

Music lovers will have the chance to tune in to a new frequency this month as MTV comes to New Zealand.

Many will remember MTV's last foray into New Zealand, via TVNZ, which ended just a year after it began, but this time, MTV bosses say, it will be different.

This time MTV, which is available through Sky, will be operated with local staff and local content.

"I think MTV has learnt its lesson from last time," MTV New Zealand general manager Chris Keely said.

"It realised that you can't just feed in stuff from another country, so this time we have a base in New Zealand, we have staff from New Zealand, we will be tailoring to the wants and needs of New Zealand people and we are really looking forward to it."

While music television seems to be on the decline across the world â€" typified by the demise of Top of the Pops â€" the New Zealand market seems buoyant.

Figures from AGB Nielsen Media Research show that C4's average audience over the past four weeks was 8700, with Juice TV attracting 1300 and J2 1200. Audiences for the same period last year were 6300, 1400 and 1000 respectively.

AdvertisementAdvertisementKeely and C4 programme director Andrew Szusterman are confident that New Zealand can cope with another dedicated music channel.

Szusterman said C4 boasted a 92 per cent market share of viewers aged between 15 and 29 and the company was not concerned by the appearance of MTV.

"We never underestimate MTV because it is such a big brand, but we are not overly concerned or paranoid about it," he said. "We are cautious, but we broadcast on a free-to-air channel, so we reach a much wider audience than MTV will.

"I think the youth market, which is where we are mainly aimed, is growing and there will always be a demand for these channels."

While C4 relied on such MTV programmes as Punk'd for some of its content, Szusterman said he was confident the channel would not lose out when MTV started running those shows. "When you look at it, only around four hours a week comes from MTV programmes and we have many popular shows from other makers. We are quite happy we will continue to offer our viewers a good choice," he said.

Keely is cautious about discussing commercial negotiations with C4 but said MTV would continue to work closely with its syndication partners.

"We have a very good relationship with the companies that show our programmes, and while we guarantee that our branded channel will have first showing, our syndications will continue," he said.

Both channels will continue to offer Kiwi music, claiming 30% of their output is home-grown talent.

[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3751145a1860,00.html

personally i think having 3 dedicated music chanels is enough. now its 4 o_O

i probably wont watch it, mainly cause i cant find the remote and it takes a while to get that far buy pushing the button 34 times (or whatever it is)

oh well good luck to em!

I was looking through the Skywatch, and from what I can tell the only time they actually play Music is between 1am to 6am, the rest of it is just those shitty shows they have like Punked and Laguna Beach.

And whats it to you if they have 4 Music Channels? If that worries you, I hope that you don't ever move to Australia and get Foxtel, you'd probably have a mild heart attack.

i hear that in america they hardly ever play music on MTV.

i hope it doesnt end out the same here. it will be good if its used to promote new NZ bands because there is a lot of potential out there.

Originally posted by MonoTurd+Aug 2 2006, 03:24 PM-->

i hope it doesnt end out the same here. it will be good if its used to promote new NZ bands because there is a lot of potential out there. [/b]
Look in the Skywatch, the only time they play Music is between 1am to 6am, although the article goes on about fostering local talent... how, dont ask me.

<!--QuoteBegin-Woosahh

i didnt say it worries me i just thought it was a bit over kill

By International Standards it's Stone Age.

Originally posted by Ripper+Aug 2 2006, 03:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MonoTurd
@Aug 2 2006, 03:24 PM

i hope it doesnt end out the same here.  it will be good if its used to promote new NZ bands because there is a lot of potential out there.
Look in the Skywatch, the only time they play Music is between 1am to 6am, although the article goes on about fostering local talent... how, dont ask me. [/b]
i dont have sky so i dont read skywatch...thats just sad if i did

Originally posted by MonoTurd@Aug 2 2006, 11:24 AM
Same goes for Aussie MTV

Only time they play music is .... really late at night/early in the morning, TRL/aussie TRL = where they play **** music and cut half the song off with 13 year olds shout outs ,1 song in between shows like Wildboyz,Viva la Bam,Punked..etc. and the odd top 20 count down.

Channel [V] > MTV ... for music.

Originally posted by The TRUTH+Aug 3 2006, 09:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MonoTurd
@Aug 2 2006, 11:24 AM
Same goes for Aussie MTV

Only time they play music is .... really late at night/early in the morning, TRL/aussie TRL = where they play **** music and cut half the song off with 13 year olds shout outs ,1 song in between shows like Wildboyz,Viva la Bam,Punked..etc. and the odd top 20 count down.

Channel [V] > MTV ... for music. [/b]
Channel V was awesome.

They still have Maynard or whatever his name was hosting that show on Friday nights?

Originally posted by The TRUTH+Aug 3 2006, 09:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-MonoTurd
Same goes for Aussie MTV

Channel [V] > MTV ... for music. [/b]
man thats pretty stink. i dont really see the point of having a music channel that hardly plays music.

its pretty obvious that this new MTV channel will be aimed at the younger people like the 12-17 year olds with all the MTV cribs and laguna beach etc

Originally posted by Ripper+Aug 4 2006, 03:32 AM-->
Originally posted by The TRUTH@Aug 3 2006, 09:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-MonoTurd

Same goes for Aussie MTV

Channel [V] > MTV ... for music.
Channel V was awesome.

They still have Maynard or whatever his name was hosting that show on Friday nights? [/b]
Nah he's gone, so has Jabba..... quite a few of the old hosts have moved on.

Latest posts