• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New provincial signings

S

Silver Arrow

Broncos hardman Brad Thorn has signed with the Tasman union for 2 years and will be available for the Crusaders in next years Super 14.

Other signings include

Daniel Bowden (Northland to Otago)
Steven Setephano (Waikato to Otago)
Jarad Hoeta (Taranaki to Bay of Plenty)
Asaeli Tikorituma Wanganui to Bay of Plenty)
Tane Tuipolotu (Wellington to Bay of Plenty)
Lucky Mulipola (Tasman to Otago)
Willie Ripia (Waikato to Taranaki)
Chris Smylie (Otago to North Harbour)
Chris King (Otago to Southland

Woot, Chris Smylie to the Blues... hopefully he can recapture that form that almost saw him become an AB back in 04/05

Brad Thorn? Lol, what a joke. Hope we're not stupid enough to sign him to the Crusaders, inevitably leading to an AB selection.

Once again Otago rugby is saved by the lure of the Highlanders.

Gutted for Northland, that Bowden has a big future.
Likewise Setephano, but his path was well and truely blocked at the Chiefs. Tasman has some fairly good depth at wing so won't miss Mulipola too much, and Otago was short at wing next season.

Looks like BOP will bounce back next year with those signings. Hoeata's a BOP boy anyway. Tuipolotu's a big signing for them.

I'm liking the player movement that the salary cap is creating. Hopefully it can go a bit further and create a truely competitive Air New Zealand cup moving forward.

Smylie will be a welcome addition after the retirement of Devine...and Ripia to the Nakis. Maybe it had to do something with Lavea going to the Steelers.

At least there, he could be in contention for the Canes No.10 with the inconsistant Gopperth.

Few more losses:

Two Waikato players - Steven Bates & Roy Kinikinilau - have signed contracts with Japanese clubs.

Steven Setephano is a big loss, I wonder why he let him go? He looked like the next Luaki.

Steven Setephano is a big loss, I wonder why he let him go? He looked like the next Luaki. [/b]

Funny thing is, he left because he wanted to get regualr game time and doesnt want to be on the bench behind Bates, Messam & Lauaki...

now Bates has packed up and off to the Land of the Rising Yen.

Yeah, ironically, Holah and Bates are both packing it in for the Chiefs.

So they'll have Latimer, Lauaki and Messam. But who will be on the bench?

Ormsby or one of the Counties boys?

Counties-Manukau have signed

Jayden Murch from Southland
Romi Ropati (ex-Otago but has been playing in Europe the last few years)
Lance Poching from Auckland

will be interesting to see how these guys go!

Also, I believe Blair Urlich (ex North Harbour) is back playing club rugby in Northland, and Jared Payne has transferred from Waikato to Northland.

watch this space!

Gopperth is being 'lent' to Harbour for this coming season, so it's not technically a signing but meh...

Gopperth seems to be on the outs now with Wellington, and Ripia will do the job for the Canes. Gopperth might think about going north to replace Nick Evans at the Blues

I think lent is just a nice way of saying that Gopperth sux lol. He's an alright player but to be honest I haven't really liked him for the last 2 seasons he's too hot than cold.

Apparently Kosuke Endo (from Japan) is playing for Canterbury this season. Should be interesting.

willie ripia is a good edition to taras. Hopefully he can help turn our fortunes around and gain a quarterfinal berth

Gopperth seems to be on the outs now with Wellington, and Ripia will do the job for the Canes. Gopperth might think about going north to replace Nick Evans at the Blues [/b]

I'm already dreading that he gets picked up by the blues. he had one goodish season but has been very crap since then.

Wellington Lions have a few new editions and they all show potential. Daniel Kirkpatrick from the winning All Blacks under20's squad is the new 1st 5 for Wellyz and he was alright but his goal kicking doesn't look the greatest and his tactical kicking was a bit off but the wild winds down Wellyz didn't help any and it was his 1st ANZ Cup game so with more experience he might be one to look out for.

Victor Vito showed spurts of potential at both no.8 and openside flank he's definately gonna become a future star in 15 man rugby just like he is in 7's. New 2nd 5 Michael Hobbs played a very good game 1st time I heard of him but if he keeps playing like he did we're bound to see alot more of him.

Latest posts