• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Rugby Game

I must admit

Without giving us a look into ur studio (ie ur team , how many, what software, ur past experience) and other elements of running a successful development studio - u wont get much nibble here

I am not going to tell anyone my secret pesto ingredient, unless they can prove they can do it properly.

Nobody will sign a rugby player without seeing him run, pass, tackle or kick.

We need to know more of you, before you know what we want.

Think about it...its the world wide web, and you have come on here and said "We are making a rugby game, give me some ideas".

We need concrete evidence that you can before we say anything so we know it aint some 4 yr ole wasting our time, especially since the main franchise has been cancelled.

Your timing coincides with a prank, and without background check, that all this is

Hi Guys,

If you all can just read my first post, I made it clear that we are busy with it, BUT there is nothing to show yet. I also said, that I would give you all more info once we have something to show.

I do not want to get into a fight with Knowsleyroader, he is entitled to his opinion and he probably has good reason, that is all fine.

I (is that better Knowsleyroader? No we, I :) ) wanted to let you all know that there is another prospect of a rugby game from someone else and not just EA. The reaction wasn't what was expected thought.

There is no rule that says you need to give a detailed proposal to the internet public, before you can start development on a project, so we would like to keep it quiet for now, but I have been on this forum a few times and you guys were all so excited about Rugby, that I thought it would be nice to share this with you.

This development will be completely different from the big shot studios, as we are no big shot studio. I mentioned open source in my initial post, this project will be handled LIKE an open source project (have not decided whether source code will be released once dev is done though)

Please accept my apologies if I hit a nerve, you are welcome to remove this thread completely. I will then not post anything on here about the game until we can give you guys, and I'm quoting ak47 here: "ur studio (ie ur team , how many, what software, ur past experience)" OR we will just give you the game to play, then those question will dissapear right? :)

Cheers Guys

anytime......so have u any info for us watsoever?? or not quite yet? anything will be algud

Not yet OTSAA, well, nothing that will get you excited......all code stuff, busy with the models and working on some effects that will be applied to the models.....so see, very early stages :)

How long have you been working on this so far?? A few days, a few weeks or a few months??

What are you planning to make in terms of profit at this early stage?

What software/hardware is being used to create the game?

Hopefully this will be good, but without much insight, I can't have any hopes (positive or negative) really...

howzit Blue Bulls

sounds cool, but i reckon its gonna be damn hard to make though.
what language are you guys programming in?
have you made any other games before?
im a programmer here in durban but only do asp.net stuff

cheers
mike

Hey Guys,

Profit? If we we're in this to make money, we would not be doing a rugby game :)

gallopaway - yes, we are infact using C#.net, but whether this will be carried through the development we are not sure yet, as the code in C and C# are very similar. We have not started on any gameplay code yet, all code has been on rendering the models, so we will make a final call on the language before engine code starts.

We decided on C# as it will be very closely tied in with future Windows releases (infact, there are talks that C# will be replacing C). Lots of other benefits from using the .Net environment as well.

Some smaller games have been made, but nothing to the scale of what we are doing now.

And yes, we know it is going to be hard work and take time, but we have started and we are still very much busy with it :)

Im not really sure I see the point. To get anywhere near Rugby 06 with a small, part time team would take years upon years. Do you still think you will have the hunger 5 years down the road ?

Rendering is all well and good, but the project only starts in earnest when you get those babies to sing and dance.

This isnt me beind deliberately negative, just realistic. In hindsight it would have been much better to come on here when there was something to show, surely you didnt expect much beyond what you got with nothing at ALL to show to us ?

Ahhhh I remember back in the day when we saw all the renders for the first rugby league game that got canned. Those were the days.......

Hey knowsleyroader,

Again - if you read my earlier posts you would see that the reason I posted here was for the guys who wanted to be involved from the START (keyword = START)

I agree, in hindsight it seems like a mistake, but then again, it is only you who really are negative.

Don't get me wrong nothing against you!

Point is, we are doing this, only question is, who would like to be involved and see how it progresses? If no one, then fine!

If everyone's attitude was "but it took them 5 years to get to that, I might not even try" then I guess we won't see any new breakthroughs, right?

If everyone's attitude was "but it took them 5 years to get to that, I might not even try" then I guess we won't see any new breakthroughs, right?
[/b]

But development time IS the major factor and there is no skimming round the fact that EA have worked on Rugby for multiple years with a large studio full time. You WILL NOT be able to bypass that with a small part time team. It is physically impossible.

Please dont let me put you off posting on this board however as im sure there are many people who will listen and get involved as much as they can. Maybe you would be best putting up some kind of survey as to what people were after in a rugby game otherwise you are likely to have to do much searching to pick out viable ideas from the general posts.

I still maintain however that nothing worthwhile will ever come of this. Nothing that would turn people from Lomu, Rugby 06, RL1 or even ARL96.

gallopaway - yes, we are infact using C#.net, but whether this will be carried through the development we are not sure yet, as the code in C and C# are very similar. We have not started on any gameplay code yet, all code has been on rendering the models, so we will make a final call on the language before engine code starts.

We decided on C# as it will be very closely tied in with future Windows releases (infact, there are talks that C# will be replacing C). Lots of other benefits from using the .Net environment as well.
[/b]

Sounds like bullshit to a professional developper - me for instance.

C# is nothing like C : C# is high level interpreted code, C is low-level compiled code !
Also C# is OO, C is not, so it's not even close in terms of code form factor. And I'll spare you the memory management and pointer operations you must do in C that you'll never do in C#.

The "there are talks that C# will be replacing C" made me laug out loud. Who decides ? The Holy Coding Practice Police ? The two are so much different they'll coexist alongside.

Hi Darhf,

I was talking about syntax - and I know about memory management and pointers in C, thus the .Net advantages of that all being handle for you OR you can handle it if you want.

I never said C and C# are the same, I said, the code (meaning the code we have done so far) are the same. We have both C and C# copies of the rendering code we have been using, thus we can still change our mind on the language choice. That was all I was trying to point out.

And Yes, there are people that claim that C# is a good replacement for C, I was just quoting them - I myself do not know who decides it, I was merely mentioning it.

OO makes development much easier and faster, so another advantage :)

Sorry if I didn't explain all correctly, didn't know we had PROFESSIONAL developers here :)

Cheers

Hi Darhf,

I was talking about syntax - and I know about memory management and pointers in C, thus the .Net advantages of that all being handle for you OR you can handle it if you want.

I never said C and C# are the same, I said, the code (meaning the code we have done so far) are the same. We have both C and C# copies of the rendering code we have been using, thus we can still change our mind on the language choice. That was all I was trying to point out.

And Yes, there are people that claim that C# is a good replacement for C, I was just quoting them - I myself do not know who decides it, I was merely mentioning it.

Sorry if I didn't explain all correctly, didn't know we had PROFESSIONAL developers here :)

Cheers
[/b]

So now its a small part time team who are working on a project in multiple programming languages ? Ok !

Hi Darhf,

Cheers
[/b]

Meh. Syntax... Then by your logic PHP is close to C. Anyway, good luck with the project.

<div class='quotemain'>
Hi Darhf,

Cheers
[/b]

So now its a small part time team who are working on a project in multiple programming languages ? Ok !
[/b][/quote]

Jesus Christ give the team a f***ing chance, i don't see YOU sitting here trying to make a rugby game. If you dont like what they are attempting to do then don't play the f***ing game.

If you keep having to answer to these muppets about whether you are legit or not you'll never get anything done.

Good luck developing the game. Just because EA are a huge corporation dosn't mean that they are the only ones that can develop a rugby game.
EA rugby has done very little in terms of AI and Gameplay since Lomu came out. The game may look great but everyone knows there is little depth.
If you can come up with a really challenging game that reflects the various skills used in a rugby game then at least you might get some financial backing to gloss it over later.
Even if it looked sensible soccer, who cares, if the gameplay is addictive, challenging and puts skill over stats you have the spine to make a great game.
Everyone is being negative about your game because they are sheep. BBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAA!

Well good luck BlueBulls.

Keep us posted

of course you will get a lil slack, but hey, you will also eventually get some ideas as per ur original request....its all about time...stick it out and keep us updated

Latest posts