• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to Rugby.

USF.Marcel

Academy Player
Country Flag
Poland
I have a quick general question.
A rugby club is just springing up in my University and I was interested in joining.
However, I am not sure if I am the type of athlete that fits Rugby.
I played American Football for 4 years, being a right tackle.
I am 188 cm tall, about 117 kg. I was wondering what kind of people are suitable for playing rugby, not sure if I would be appropriate use for the game.

Get stuck in mate, size doesn't matter as long as you can tackle properly.

I'd say your fairly suited to prop and yea anybody shot tall big small can play rugby it doesn't matter.

The team at my University is small because Rugby is relatively foreign to the students here. So I hope starting up a team will spread a little knowledge about this sport.

So what makes you think that you wouldn't "be appropriate use for the game" ?

To be honest, unless you were born with a god-given talent for the game, you're not going to be amazing when you first play. However, you're a really good size for the game and your experience of playing on the line will give you a good base of skills for rucks and scrums. Your coaches will know about the game and positioning so when you start, listen to them and learn from them - you'll pick it up!

Give it a go mate and you'll probably get biten by the bug like I did and never look back! All the best mate!

I am not a fast runner (because I am big). Not sure if I would be of any use on a team. I played American Football and I am good at tackling.

I am not a fast runner (because I am big). Not sure if I would be of any use on a team. I played American Football and I am good at tackling.
You don't have to be fast runner. From how you've described yourself I would take a guess you would be a good Prop Forward. Plenty of tackling, rucking, malling. You'll love it!You seem to be bringing up a lot of reasons as to why you think you can't play rugby. Let's have some posotivity, you'll do fine.

You’re a big boy, you will do just fine. I have a guy who just joined our club after playing a couple of years in the CFL (Canadian football), He was a tight end. Other than getting use to playing a game for a full 80 minutes, the guy loves it and is a natural power forward. You will do fine, just listen to your coach and try to start watching games. Even the 10 minute highlight reels of games can really help improve your knowledge and understanding of the game.

Thanks guys. :D I've decided to go for it. Talked with the coach and he's going to give me a few private lessons to teach me the basics.

Thanks guys. :D I've decided to go for it. Talked with the coach and he's going to give me a few private lessons to teach me the basics.

Aha, I've been there. Remember the first time I got taught to pass... Painful hour. My advice is just buy a ball and pass it around with friends. It'll help you get started on the game and it's good fun.

Latest posts