Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Phil Davies

• Warren Gatland

• Other

• Total voters
I voted for Robbie Deans. He was fovoured by the WRU last time round, till he removed himself from the running. My favourite would be Graham Henry (minus the grannygate saga), he did more than any other coach to improve the overall game in Wales.

I'm hoping that Scott Johnson will return as skills coach (he's been saying he wants to return to Wales). Don't think he's head coach material though, he needs someone to keep him in check.

Whorver gets the job, needs the freedome to choose his own backroom staff, therefore I think all the current ones need to go.

:p</span> I know the perfect coach for Wales.

<span style="color:#FF0000">Eddy O'Sulivan
after he gets sacked by Ireland.. :D

:lol: Gareth Jenkins to Ireland and Eddy to Wales. :lol:

That must have taken you ages to think about!

No seriously....

I don't think Jenkins will get a job for ages!

Haha, interesting...
A Cantabrian suggesting Deans and an Aucklander suggesting Nucifora...never would have seen that coming.

Jokes aside, it's fair to say that if there was ever a time to be in the market for a highly qualified Rugby coach then Wales have found themselves in a buyers market.

Regarding Deans, I've just read an article suggesting "reliably" that the ELV's will be part of Super14 in 2008 and that Deans (who has had a hand in their creation) might now be favoured as the next AB's coach because of his more extensive knowledge in coaching these new laws. These new laws could negate alot of the previous skills of current coaches, aside from man management etc.

Interesting, but kind of off topic I guess. [/b]

Don't get me wrong I love Robbo, and I'm not sure whether Rob Penny can get the job done, but the question was who is the right man for the Welsh job, and I firmly believe that Robbie Deans is that man. He has all the skills, and apparently has familiarity with the ELV's which makes him doubly more valuable going into the future.

Just to make things clear (and a bit easier for you guys)
Mallet and Jones are not up for taking the job.

"[ Former South Africa coach Nick Mallett and ex-Australian handler Eddie Jones have both ruled themselves out of the running for the vacant post of Wales coach.
"I have gone quite far down the road in my negotiations with Italy," Mallett told the Western Mail newspaper.

"There will probably be an announcement on that front after the World Cup. There are just one or two things to be sorted out, but that is my preferred choice." Asked whether there was any way he would change his mind if Wales came knocking, Mallett said: "I don't think so." ] "

and on Jones

"I have not given the Wales position any thought," said Jones who took Australia to the 2003 World Cup final. "I have always said that I want to return to international coaching one day, but it has to be the right job at the right time. I am committed to joining Saracens after the World Cup."

http://www.superrugby.co.za/default.asp?id...ernationalrugby

In another forum, a poster suggested that maybe Wales & England could swap coaches.

Jenkins style of coaching would suit the English as they thrive on 10-man rugby while Ashtons belief in running rugby is ideal to the Welsh players.

After a bit of thought, I'd like to see a coaching setup like this:

Elite Director : Graham Henry

Head Coach : Robbie Deans
Skills Coach : Scott Johnson
Forwards Coach : Kingsly Jones
Defence Coach : Shaun Edwards

[/b]

Thats how Id like to see it also, but maybe Dai Young to do Forwards?

I reckon they shouldve never got rid of Ruddock. Wales was doing damn well under him. He wouldve got the team to a better spot this year for sure.

I'm just disappointed that we didnt get to see enough Shane Williams in the World Cup. It may even be his last I reckon.

sorry to go off on a tangent. but he is damn good.

Deans would be awesome if he took the job as Welsh coach.

I can't really see Henry coming back.

[/b]

Why do we keep coming back to Scott Johnson?! What exactly intoxicates Welsh fans as much as to be lured by his chubby mystique? The guy disagreed with one of the best Head Coaches in the Home Nations and set about to undermine his authority! Scott Johnson should shoulder some of the blame for Ruddockgate and yet Wales will probabbly reward him with another contract. Crazy!

Wales it kind of like a battered wife and Scott Johnson the violent, drunk and angry husband who beats up said wife nightly. The wife tries to leave her husband on multiple occasions but always sticks by him in the end, saying with an anguished cry: "but I love him!"

Quite.

In other news, Warren Gatland has expressed an interest in the job.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/7025721.stm

<div class='quotemain'> After a bit of thought, I'd like to see a coaching setup like this:

[/b]

Why do we keep coming back to Scott Johnson?! What exactly intoxicates Welsh fans as much as to be lured by his chubby mystique? The guy disagreed with one of the best Head Coaches in the Home Nations and set about to undermine his authority! Scott Johnson should shoulder some of the blame for Ruddockgate and yet Wales will probabbly reward him with another contract. Crazy!

Wales it kind of like a battered wife and Scott Johnson the violent, drunk and angry husband who beats up said wife nightly. The wife tries to leave her husband on multiple occasions but always sticks by him in the end, saying with an anguished cry: "but I love him!"

Quite.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/7025721.stm [/b][/quote]

The reason we love him is because the backs looked sh*** hot with him coaching skills, in fact the whole Welsh side looked good!

Good to hear Gatlan has expressed an interest!

<div class='quotemain'> After a bit of thought, I'd like to see a coaching setup like this:

[/b]

Quite.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...lsh/7025721.stm [/b][/quote]

Hmm not sure where you got that from Pres. As far as I know, no one knows what happeded. The only thing that's certain is that there was a desagreement between the WRU and Ruddock about the contract that was being negotiated.

If you want to listen to rumors, there's quite a few of them going round.

Player power due to:
Ruddock not doing anything, sitting in the car during training.
Ruddock sleeping with Gareth Thomas' wife.
Ruddock sleeping with Parker's wife.

To be honest, I've stopped listening to anything about Ruddockgate, it's inevitably all bullsh*t.

Scott Johnson has been praised by every one of the players. He did wonders to the skills of the entire Welsh team, forewards and backs alike, I truly hope he decides to return.

<div class='quotemain'> Just a quick question to start RC. You say rugby is your nations main sport, is this still the case?

Down here in little old NZ it's always comforting to know that somewhere else in the world a nation cares about this sport as much as we do (Wales). Is this still the case? Or is your proximity to England coercing the Welsh youth into Football?

If Welsh rugby is waining (and I hope not) then Wales may never get back to the glory days we all want them to. When you only have a small population (like NZ and Wales) the sport has to be very high on the radar if you want to realistically compete. [/b]

Yes, it most definitely is still the case.
Welsh people like football - very much. But we LOVE rugby. Rugby is a bigger established sport in this country. It has more registered rugby players than footballers. The Welsh football team can get about 18,000 to the Millennium stadium on their biggest day. Welsh rugby could fill the stadium twice over.

Honestly, even with england in such close proximity there is no comparison between football and rugby in Wales.
Rugby is our national sport.

RC, haven't Mallet and Eddie Jones both said they wouldn't be in the running? [/b]

I've not heard anything of that nature as of yet - and by that i mean none of the papers have declared that as being so.

<div class='quotemain'>...The WRU have sacked the culprit and sure enough the rest of the sorry excuses for a coaching team will go as well....
[/b]
Why do people ALWAYS blame the coaching staff??!!

Whilst I agree it is time for their heads to start rolling, the players have to take quite a decent amount of blame. [/b][/quote]

Sorry mate, are you saying that the coaches (namely a defensive coach who's never even coached at regional level in Wales, to Scarlets boys who's biggest success is Semi's in HEC and McBryde who doesn't seem to have a clue about rugby, let alone forwards play) aren't to blame? Internationally the most inexperienced coaching staff in the world - i'm more than happy to lay some blame on the players, but hell, the coaches CANNOT be let off the hook.
I think you have to understand the calibre of the coaches we had in place before you can comment on them with validity.
[/b][/quote]

BBC website chucked out Ian McGeechan as another possible candidate for the job.

I voted for Gatland. Even though I would like to see Deans get it, I think that Gatland will get it because he has coached in the NH, so he will know how the NH teams play the game.

Robbie Deans for me. You just have to look at the way the Crusaders play to see that he would be the best head coach for Wales. They need more creativity and their speed and commitment to the break down needs alot of work. That is something a kiwi can fix.

Robbie Deans for me. You just have to look at the way the Crusaders play to see that he would be the best head coach for Wales. They need more creativity and their speed and commitment to the break down needs alot of work. That is something a kiwi can fix. [/b]

Not to burst your bubble, but it's not as if Canterbury actually play with any creativity. They play a very simple gameplan: territory, defence, counterattack, outlast opponents and win in the last 10 minutes. They've played that way for the last 10 years. The only times they really deviate from that is the occasional piece of brilliance from Dan Carter.

I suppose though that Wales have the player personel that is very similar to that of Canterbury. You start with the pack. The frontrow are very good scrumagers and are mobile as well, a staple of the traditional Canterbury frontrow. Alan Wynn Jones plays that athletic ball handling lock like Chris Jack. Wales is going to have to find that ball hawking openside flanker, in the mold of McCaw. Clearly, I'm doubting they find a player of his calibre but a finding a young man who can compete at the breakdown should not be too hard to find. A basher at number 8 with some ball skills would be a nice bonus. Peel can certainly fit the Justin Marshall role. Hook fits the first-five playmaker role that runs the Deans system. Tom Shanklin is also very much like a Canterbury center. He's a straightline guy like Mark Robinson and Casey Laulala. The only thing that is really missing is the Aaron Mauger/Daryll Gibson second five. Of course you have that if you have Stephen Jones play first five and have hook play second five. However, going forward you need another young kid to fill in there.

<div class='quotemain'> Robbie Deans for me. You just have to look at the way the Crusaders play to see that he would be the best head coach for Wales. They need more creativity and their speed and commitment to the break down needs alot of work. That is something a kiwi can fix. [/b]

Not to burst your bubble, but it's not as if Canterbury actually play with any creativity. They play a very simple gameplan: territory, defence, counterattack, outlast opponents and win in the last 10 minutes. They've played that way for the last 10 years. The only times they really deviate from that is the occasional piece of brilliance from Dan Carter.

I suppose though that Wales have the player personel that is very similar to that of Canterbury. You start with the pack. The frontrow are very good scrumagers and are mobile as well, a staple of the traditional Canterbury frontrow. Alan Wynn Jones plays that athletic ball handling lock like Chris Jack. Wales is going to have to find that ball hawking openside flanker, in the mold of McCaw. Clearly, I'm doubting they find a player of his calibre but a finding a young man who can compete at the breakdown should not be too hard to find. A basher at number 8 with some ball skills would be a nice bonus. Peel can certainly fit the Justin Marshall role. Hook fits the first-five playmaker role that runs the Deans system. Tom Shanklin is also very much like a Canterbury center. He's a straightline guy like Mark Robinson and Casey Laulala. The only thing that is really missing is the Aaron Mauger/Daryll Gibson second five. Of course you have that if you have Stephen Jones play first five and have hook play second five. However, going forward you need another young kid to fill in there.
[/b][/quote]
Gavin Henson could play that second five position. What Id be trying to do is to improve Hook and Henson's defense so you can play Jones at five eighth, Hook at inside and Henson at outside and have that all out attacking back line. A back line like that would kill most northern hemisphere teams.

Latest posts