Newish here and need advice.

MadDog1999

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Hello guys,
I am kinda new to these forums and I need advice on forwards positions. I have liked rugby for years but I only started playing this year. I am 16 male and 5ft 2inches. I am 9 stone but I am going to be increasing my weight for the rugby and I will be doing this by building muscle. So, I had my first training session ten days ago(missed training 3 days ago due to it being cancelled because of weather) and I loved it. I had a really good time taking part and also meeting the team! I was asked by the coach hire if I would like to play in forwards or backs so I said forwards as I am interested in playing here. I am interested in playing hooker because I was told height isn't all that important with hooker. What muscles do I need to develop? Am I too small? Can the exercises be done without equipment? Also, should I wear a scrum cap for hooker position? What's it like wearing one?

Thanks guys, hope I like it here!,
MadDog1999

Personally I'd say that you're probably better suited to the backs, but if your heart is set at being a forward then:
What muscles? Rugby is a game that involves your whole body so you'll want to work on everything but legs should be the priority.
Too small? Maybe, but if you play well as a forward it shouldn't matter too much how big you are.
No equipment? Yes exercises can be done without equipment, but it definitely helps to have some.
Scrum Cap? That's up to you. Maybe try borrowing one, see if you like it or not. Personally I can't stand them, they get you very hot and sweaty but a lot of people like them.

Thanks for the reply. I love contact and that is why I have my heart set on forwards. Ya, there is a very helpful person on the team and he wears a scrum cap so I'll ask him. If forward doesn't work out what about scrum half? But hopefully forward works out.

Thanks,
MadDog1999

Mad Dog, realistically pal for open age rugby you're too small to be a forward. Hooker you're too short for the vast majority of props to get a decent bind on in the scrum, where also ballast is key but not the be all at amateur level. Shorter props are awkward to play against and are very effective scrumagers, as they can usually get under the taller lads.

Issue on either flank is you'll be expected to tackle 16 stone plus forwards all game, whilst I constantly tell our lads that no one can run without their legs, as a 6'5" 19st second row at your weight I could pick you and run with you.....

Ideal position for the smaller guys I would suggest scrum half, but it's a position that requires a bit more experience in the game, good handling and passing skills. Ideal position if you like the physicality and tackling still too. Former Ireland international scrum half Peter Stringer is about 5'7" and 11 ish stone, small but powerful guy and great scrum half still going at the top flight approaching 40.

Scrum cap is personal choice, any position wear them these days including the backs for a bit more protection. Only position I find you need them or tape is second row as the friction stings a bit on and behind you ears. Are you quick? Perhaps wing, full back or even centre could be achievable.

I'm moving more in to coaching after getting on a bit and seeing how I recover from a nasty injury. So I'm thinking in terms of if you turned up at our club where I'd put you in the team.

Hello guys,
I am kinda new to these forums and I need advice on forwards positions. I have liked rugby for years but I only started playing this year. I am 16 male and 5ft 2inches. I am 9 stone but I am going to be increasing my weight for the rugby and I will be doing this by building muscle. So, I had my first training session ten days ago(missed training 3 days ago due to it being cancelled because of weather) and I loved it. I had a really good time taking part and also meeting the team! I was asked by the coach hire if I would like to play in forwards or backs so I said forwards as I am interested in playing here. I am interested in playing hooker because I was told height isn't all that important with hooker. What muscles do I need to develop? Am I too small? Can the exercises be done without equipment? Also, should I wear a scrum cap for hooker position? What's it like wearing one?

Thanks guys, hope I like it here!,
MadDog1999

It sounds to me that you have all the physical attributes to make the position of lock your first choice:)

Middle of the front row is officially the most dangerous position to play . ( Something I read just yesterday .) I played there at school and was always one year younger to begin with plus --- under 5ft 6 ins . I remember at times being under a mountain of players .No light and waiting for a chance to breathe .

Latest posts