• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Newport Gwent Dragons v Scarlets, Friday 24

Draggs

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Friday, September 24.
Rodney Parade, Newport
Kick off 1905.

Dragons: Will Harries; Adam Hughes, Tom Riley, Rhodri Gomer Davies, Aled Brew; Matthew Jones, Wayne Evans; Phil Price, Tom Willis (capt), Ben Castle, Luke Charteris, Rob Sidoli, Dan Lydiate, Robin Sowden-Taylor, Gavin Thomas.

Replacements: Lloyd Burns, Nigel Hall, Hugh Gustafson, Adam Jones, Andrew Coombs, Shaun Connor, Nicky Griffiths, Tom Cheeseman.

Scarlets: Andy Fenby; George North, Regan King, Jon Davies, Sean Lamont; Stephen Jones, Tavis Knoyle; Iestyn Thomas, Matthew Rees (capt), Deacon Manu, Lou Reed, Vernon Cooper, Josh Turnbull, Johnathan Edwards, David Lyons.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Phil John, Rhys Thomas, Jonny Fa'amatuainu, Josh Turnbull, Martin Roberts, Gareth Maule, Rhys Priestland.

This is gonna be an interesting game. I think the Dragons are missing Martyn Thomas quite alot. Whilst Will Harries is a good player, he's much more effective on the wing (although he had a good game last week at fullback). It also means that they're forced to play Adam Hughes, someone I'm not too familiar with, but I haven't been hugely impressed. Decent try at the end last week (although it was a simple missed tackle by Martyn Williams really), but other than that I don't remember him doing anything really! They're also missing Smith in the centre. Riley and Gomer-Davies are both a little hit and miss if you ask me, nothing special (although Gomer-Davies could come good). Smith is a more all round player though. Interesting to see how long Cheeseman get's, and if he can create an impact.

For the Scarlets, I wonder how Fenby will go at fullback again. Had a storer last week, but the Dragons is certainly a step-up. Probably the most exciting match-up will be North v Brew, can't wait for that one! Scarlet's scrum went well last week, that could be a big advantage given the utter shitness of the Dragon's scrum. Overall I think it'll come down to which is the bigger influence, Rodney Parade or the Scarlets 10, 12, 13 axis.

Yeah, Dragons scrum is pretty poor, with Ben Castle not knowing how to prop and Gustafson still learning. Watchurst is promising at least.
Shame the Dragons don't have a decent standoff, Matthew Jones is pretty poor compared to Tovey. It could be helpful to give Fenby a few high balls early on.
Definitely missing Smith in the centre, I look forward to seeing him and Cheeseman together.

Fenby was decent, except from his butchered try. If Jonathan Davies and George North can continue their performance from the last few matches, then it could go the way of the Turks.

Jones only been a disappointed because of the lack of rugby, this guy needs some time and he should he get some good game time at the Dragons.

This game will be close but it will come down to the stronger bench which is easily the Scarlets and shows the amount of depth there is now there. Dragons however can never be counted out so watch out.

Yes, he (Matthew Jones) is slowly improving.
He looked much better against Glasgow than he did against Connacht.
The Dragons have a few too many injuries, so the bench is looking quite thin.

I thought the Dragons released Shaun Connor...

Yes, he (Matthew Jones) is slowly improving.
He looked much better against Glasgow than he did against Connacht.
The Dragons have a few too many injuries, so the bench is looking quite thin.

I thought the Dragons released Shaun Connor...
He retired and became their skills coach. Only he's playing.

I think the Dragons will just about sneak home at the death, just because of the home advantage.

It also means that they're forced to play Adam Hughes, someone I'm not too familiar with, but I haven't been hugely impressed. Decent try at the end last week (although it was a simple missed tackle by Martyn Williams really), but other than that I don't remember him doing anything really! 10, 12, 13 axis.

Dullonien Adam Hughes you wouldn't of remembered Adam Hughes doing anything because he came on right at the end so didn't have any time to get noticed. As far as the match goes I think we can snatch it at the Parade but we'll have to be sharp and on our game because of how dangerous the Scarlets backline is with the likes of Lamot, King, Stephen Jones etc.

Ok, fair enough. So he actually did the complete oposite really and made quite a big impact.

lol yeah, probably just in the right place at the right time to get the ball to be honest, can't see him handing off Martyn Williams again and scroing like that, a rare bad tackle from martyn.

Jon Davies is having a great game, created one and scored one now. Jonathan Davies senior asked him to pick things up a couple of weeks ago, and boy has he listened, that's now 6 tries in 4 games. Showed pace I never thought he had tonight aswell.

Knoyle is also having another very good game, and North is again showing that he seems to have a complete game.

Dragons a little dissapointing, way to many knock ons to really get any momentum.

Edit: what the hell has happened to the Scarlets defense also, it's suddenly looking very good!

Last edited:
Will Harries is exempt from being in touch, the WRU confirmed today.

To be brutally honest I'm very disappointed with the Dragons tonight. We failed to take advantage of the Scarlets 3 sin binnings and we really lacked that ruthless streak and cutting edge. I really don't rate Matthew Jones at all and really can't wait for Tovey to return at 10. The Scarlets showed moments where they were good, mostly when they scored their tries but lacked discipline which was proven by the 3 yellow cards and they may have been punished by the Dragons on another day where we actually turned up or by a more ruthless team in the Magners League/Heineken Cup. Definitely some positives to take as far as Welsh players are concerned though. Tavis Knoyle and Wayne Evans both look good scrum halves, in Andy Fenby we finally have somebody who potentially could effectively fill the gap left by Byrne if he were to get injured and theres also an in form Chris Czekaj for the blues in contention as well. And in Dan Lydiate, Rob McCusker and the Blues Sam Warburton we have 3 very good young flankers who are the future for Wales. Jonathan Davies looks a complete centre now, compared to when I last watched him in the autumn for Wales he looks 10x better. Will Harries is also worth a mention as he always seemed sharp and dangerous on the ball and even managed to score despite the limited opportunities that he had today, could be really good. Same goes for George North. All in all the future looks bright for Wales.

Willis has gotta take some of the blame tonight. He HAD to go for the try when the Scarlet's were down to 13 as they were simply too many points behind to try to claw their way back with penalties.

I've also gotta voice a little critisism for the opposite captain aswell. Although Rees played well, he was guilty of giving away numerous penalties and got yellow carded himself even though it was obvious how James Jones was refing the match. A captain should always be able to lead by example, but he failed on the dicipline front today. The Scarlets did everything to loose that match after notching up such a big lead and probably butchered a bonus point due to their ill-dicipline.

Dragon's were dire tonight. Only players to stand up and be counted were Lydiate, Gavin Thomas (although he butchered a try himself), Brew and Harries. Wayne Evans has gone backwards, whilst Mathew Jones isn't anywhere neer the level required.

Just watched the game - The Scarlets definitely won it on the back of some great defense

... How you can have a two man advantage, and only get three points from it is a little bit baffling to me - i'm usually a fan of Tom Willis's captaincy, but why you'd choose to take a shot at goal, when you are so far behind on the score board, and you have a two man advantage, is beyond me ... particularly when you go for a try later in the match, when the Scarlets were back to 15 men, and a penalty goal would have put the Dragons within a converted try to take the lead.

... I had a little chuckle to myself when the Scarlets half back was yellow carded for taking out his opposite number without the ball,and the commentators were talking about Ritchie Macaw's infringements in the internationals, and his "Invisible Cloak" :D

Last edited:
Yeah totally agree with you both dullonien and shaggy, it was almost like the Scarlets were inviting the dragons to win the game with their indiscipline and the Dragons wern't good enough to accept with some dodgy decisions by them to go for goal when the Scarlets were to players down and then go for the corner when they were back up to 15, very strange. I totally forgot to m ention Aled Brew earlier, the best thing he could have done was re-join the Dragons because hes playing every week and looks very good. My issue with him before was that he seemed to drop the ball alot but his handling is alot better now and hes in with a shout for a Wales call up.

Got to admit that Mathew Jones looks bloody rusty at the moment, I only think he can get better with more game time personally, I still think he was better than last week but he was still poor last night. Dragons should have gone for the scrum instead of the 3 points when the Scarlets were down to 13 men ... game could have been different then.

If the Scarlets learn how to listen to the ref, then they could have a much better season this year. After their initial wobbles against Treviso and Connacht (although both have turned out to be pretty good so far) the Scarlets have stepped it up a couple of gears. The Stats show that they are the most threatening team in the League so far, but if they can back that up with a defense like last night they should win more games than they loose. Cut out some of the handling errors and reduce the penalty count and they could be the surprise package of the HC imo.

John Davies and Regan King are a killer centre combo. Infact I'd go as far as saying that they're almost the perfect pairing. John Davies probably has all the skills except passing, whearas that's exactly where Regan Kings true strengths lie.

Who else think Lamont needs a kick up the arse? I'd give Stoddard a go in front of him, because Lamont butchered one try last night with his blinkered vision, although Stoddard isn't exactly much better usually. Sorry to mention him again, but this North lad is impressing me more and more. He didn't have as many chances last night, but if anything that's the kind of game I was waiting for, one where he had to impress in other ways than scoring tries. He loves popping up in midfield to take the ball up, and my god does he do it well, he's even willing to go head first into a crowd of forwards (the move off the lineout that won a penalty). His defense was rock solid aswell, and he put in two very big hits. Only mistake I saw was that he was out of position when Wayen Evans chipped over for Aled Brew. If the bounce was kinder, Brew would have scored there, and North was nowhere to be seen. Small mistake though.

Agree with you about that centre pairing dullonien, could be lethal throughout the season, exciting times for the Scarlets. If I had a choice out of any 2 centres in the Magners League as a pairing for me it would either be Regan King and Jamie Roberts or James Hook and Jamie Roberts, a perfect small and skillful/big and powerful partnership. John Davies is a close second with me comapred to Roberts but if he carries on this kind of form that hes showing then I'm sure Jamie Roberts will be very nervous with regards to his starting place in the Welsh team while hes out injured. I say this because I think if John Davies is consistent with his performaces then he will be almost a shoe-in for the Autumn Internationals with both Hook and Roberts out.

Latest posts