• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nifty laws

yup you have to show "intent" to go for goal but you can always just practice deliberately hooking or slicing the ball for the corner off a kicking tee.

Beautiful. I'm going to have an arsenal of stuff to use. I start practices in two weeks.

what about, youve got a penalty close to their line, you decide to kick to touch, you kicked it, and a [winger] caught it, and threw it back in as a quick lineout, would that work if they were caught napping?

You could try the old rugby league trick, when you get a penalty near their tryline walk to the mark and point to the posts but say to the ref "we'll take the tap", and hopefully the defenders wont hear what you're saying and just see you point. Used to work sometimes, but some ref's dont like it.
<

A good trick in rugby union when you are tackling a defender from behind after they have made a break is to reach around them and try to strip the ball and push it towards your own tryline. All the ref will see as he is runing to keep up is you tackling the runner and him losing it forwards (providing the touch judges are as useless as the ones we have). This one has worked for me a lot.

Yeah you can strip it anyways, but normally you would try and get it for yourself or get it to a position where it is protected from the other team. What i mean is to push it away for the ball carrier so it looks like he has knocked-on in the tackle.

sounds good, but if the ref notices, aren't you penalised for an intentional knock on or something like that?

You won't be penalised because you'll be knocking it backward. The idea of it is to make the ref think the other player has lost control of it forward in the tackle.

Allrighty then, counting down the days to first practice of the year: 5

Here are a few:

If you are taking a kickoff near the sideline but it isn't quite going to go out on the full, stick one foot in touch and reach out and catch the ball with that foot still in touch. That will mean the kick has gone out on the full and you get a scrum at midfield. Also works if you are near the sideline fielding a kick in general play from outside the 22.

If a kick by the other team is close to going into your ingoal but doesn't quite make it and you are under some pressure, stick one foot in the ingoal and reach out and get the ball and touch it in the ingoal. Because you technically received the ball in the ingoal, you get a 22 drop out rather than a 5 meter scrum to the opposing team.

1. If u drop the ball forwards (lose control) and r able to get your foot to it is not counted as a knock-on.
2. If u pass the ball forwards, but your hands r pointing in a backwards motion it is play-on.

Originally posted by Jacko@Apr 18 2005, 06:50 PM
2. If u pass the ball forwards, but your hands r pointing in a backwards motion it is play-on.
lol unless you are playing with video refs, i wouldnt count on that.

It is a rule taken in to count with video refs if there is any and i repeat any backward motion with the hands it is play on.

if you drop the ball straight down it's not a knock-on, even if you facing the opponent.......its really a ref's call but it's worked for me twice already.

also did you know that the linesman can overule the ref when a try is scored.
i scored try after stepping the fullback, but when i stepped sideways i raised my arm with the ball to avoid the fullback gettin the ball. unfortunately i samcked him right on the head and "supposedly" knocked him out. the ref gave it and said it was an accident...which it was...all of a sudden the touchie comes in and says 'not try', the ref tries to explain then the touchie brought up some BS rule.
after that the try was disallowed, it was there penalty, and i got sent off
to rub salt in the wound, the fullback gets up and kicks for touch

Originally posted by Black|Raven@Apr 20 2005, 05:12 PM
to rub salt in the wound, the fullback gets up and kicks for touch
lol, i hope you got him good then

That shouldn't have happened. It sort of worked like a fend, however u got him in the face. Fine, play on. It's a fend as long as u didn't eye gouge him? BTW I am a junior ref in the ACT.

Raven can you describe more clearly what happened? Did you hand him off with your fist or what?

You aren't supposed to fend with anything but a straight arm and a flat palm, which could explain the decision. There is no way you could have used the lawfully correct technique if you tried to do it with the ball carrying arm.

Latest posts