• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

No arm shoulder barge to head

Alex01

Academy Player
Anyone tell me why Basham didn't get a red (or at least a yellow) for his no arm shoulder barge directly hitting
a Scot's head?

Not sure it was a red but was pretty baffled myself why it wasn't a yellow. I don't recall seeing contact to the arm first but happy to be proven wrong.

Referee is sole arbiter of laws on pitch.
He explains first hit is on arm goes upto head ,he decides it became minimal contact to head without force.
Of course these decisions are not defined although guidance is given by world rugby.
For me a retired ref from weeds rugby (level 5 to 7) it was a possible yellow but nowt else.
Always my own question is do we want to see reds of everything then turned over or yellows and let citing and due process follow.
This incident as well in rubbish time , Scotland lost because of errors not a questionable decision.
The teams errors was the reason for the loss.

Referee is sole arbiter of laws on pitch.
He explains first hit is on arm goes upto head ,he decides it became minimal contact to head without force.
Of course these decisions are not defined although guidance is given by world rugby.
For me a retired ref from weeds rugby (level 5 to 7) it was a possible yellow but nowt else.
Always my own question is do we want to see reds of everything then turned over or yellows and let citing and due process follow.
This incident as well in rubbish time , Scotland lost because of errors not a questionable decision.
The teams errors was the reason for the loss.
No question Scotland lost due To errors and Wales stopping Scotland playing their game so kudos to Wales, but in the last two or more seasons any contact with the head is a cardable offence let alone a shoulder directly to the head. I heard the ref's decision but even if there was arm contact first (which there was not) contact with the head is a min yellow isn't it?

I thought it was a yellow and don't understand how how the official came to the reasoning behind it. Basham also followed it up with another tackle 30secs later that looked a touch dubious too.

Not looked at in detail, but the replay looked like he had his left arm tucked in a sling position rather than extended to wrap, then made contact with the head.

Hard to see how that wasn't a yellow

Yellows are only given out to teams playing against Wales, they are not given to Wales.

No question Scotland lost due To errors and Wales stopping Scotland playing their game so kudos to Wales, but in the last two or more seasons any contact with the head is a cardable offence let alone a shoulder directly to the head. I heard the ref's decision but even if there was arm contact first (which there was not) contact with the head is a min yellow isn't it?
In a direct answer No , contact to head is not an automatic card.
There is a process to follow , firstly is there foul play?
Example player is tap tackled other player who is in legal position to make tackle hits falling player in face no foul play so play on (stop if injury)known as rugby incident.
Two players fairly contesting a ball in air 1 catchs other in face after just missing ball play on no foul play.
Personally it was yellow for me , but I will agree to disagree that it wasn't a ride up from arm , we all see things differently
I was supporting no one.

Latest posts