No league for Old Men - Pro 14 - R. 8

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Munster v Dragons - Munster's kids and Simon Zebo should fair well here, Dragons are hapless!

Glasgow v Leinster - Have you heard that these two sides lose a lot of players during international periods? Just Glasgow eh? Probably because Leinster have the depth not to moan! (He says the day Leo Cullen gave a lengthy interview on the topic) A battle of depth here, Glasgow will want revenge after Leinster landed the knockout blow to their European campaign but with players like Byrne, Murphy, O'Loughlin and Bent as well as a few fringe squad members wanting to prove themselves to the Joe Show I think we could see the Ster's winning streak continue!

Scarlets v Treviso - I don't have much faith in the Italians for the first time in a while... 5 pointer for the home side this week!

Kings v Ulster - This could be interesting... I'm praying for you Ulster fans!

Edinburgh v Ospreys - Ospreys slow start to the season hasn't been as damaging as it should have been in Conference A(wful) and with a five pointer last week they're fingertips away from Culchie and Cheetah coattails. One side here will crash out of playoff contention unless Ulster be Ulster. I'm backing the Welsh!

Connacht v Cheetahs - The South Africans grabbed their first away win and this is a good opportunity for a second, Connacht are flying high following their big win in the Passat Derby but possibly without talisman Bundee they'll be tested. I'm going for the home side... Just!

Cardiff v Zebre - Zebre pls pls pls... Blues by 12.

I'm up and running early this week due to a busy week ahead while recovering from a mild concussion... Hope for injury or ailment to The Alpha Bro for punctuality in the future!

Pretty interesting fixtures on the face of it (barring Munster vs Dragons). But the Scottish and Italian sides will die if they don't have their internationals. As I've said before they should play each other at these times to reduce the imbalances caused.

Glasgow have slightly more chance with Adam Hastings again really impressing at ten last week (albeit against the Kings), and a decent backup scrum half in George Horne. But their pack will be pretty feeble.

Cheetahs without Cassiem, Mohoje and Venter on international camp (good to see Pro14 players selected even if Mapimpi's exclusion is surprising), plus Rhule and Petersen having left them. I fancy Connacht for that one because of that.

Kings to play in a downgraded stadium with 10,000 capacity. A sensible move and one that could see them pick up a first win (I don't think so).

Leinster, Ulster and Ospreys for an away victory.

Alpha Bro Talks ******** (Again)
Quote Scarlets v Treviso - I don't have much faith in the Italians for the first time in a while... 5 pointer for the home side this week!
Benneton are not yet out of Europe, do the Maths matey boy, and what the **** does don't have much faith mean. If you don't like the pro 14 don't watch it.

Munster v Dragons - Munster somewhat inconsistent of late but at home should have little problem against the Welsh
Glasgow v Leinster - Glasgow have some strength in depth particularly at half back and a youngish pack which learns as it progresses . Much dependent on player release this week end from National Squad. Good to see Mr Jones on duty and will strengthen the back division even more !Leinster likely to suffer more from National calls . Glasgow revenge but tighr !
Scarlets v Treviso -Scarlets

Kings v Ulster - Reckon Ulster have too many guns

Edinburgh v Ospreys -Embra showed marked improvement in Italy last week and again will be dependent on player release from National Squad .Another tight on which could go either way .

Connacht v Cheetahs - Cheetahs improving by the game and will have too much fire power for the homesters
Cardiff v Zebre - Interesting one Blues to win

From a Welsh perspective.

Munster v Dragon - Dragons to keep in the game until half time with a couple of nice tries. In the 2nd half after making their thousandth tackle after 45 minutes and bringing on the sub par replacements they ship a loads of points and lose by 30+

Scarlets v Treviso - I get a erection from the rugby played by the Scarlets, they score 4 tries but ship a few as well to win by 10

Edinburgh v Ospreys - Ospreys continue to show that their performance n the Champions Cup was outliers, they struggle to score tries and end up losing by at least 7.

Cardiff v Zebre - Blues start to gain a bit of confidence and win this by 10, not sure on the bonus point though.

Leinster team for the trip to Glasgow

15. Jordan Larmour (5)
14. Adam Byrne (30)
13. Rory O'Loughlin (28)
12. Conor O'Brien (0)
11. Dave Kearney (116)
10. Ross Byrne (32)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (36)
1. Ed Byrne (11)
2. Seán Cronin (136)
3. Michael Bent (94)
4. Ross Molony (51) CAPTAIN
5. Mick Kearney (24)
6. Scott Fardy (5)
7. Jordi Murphy (92)
8. Max Deegan (6)

16. Richardt Strauss (148)
17. Peter Dooley (39)
18. Andrew Porter (14)
19. Josh Murphy (0)
20. Dan Leavy (43)
21. Nick McCarthy (11)
22. Cathal Marsh (23)
23. Hugo Keenan (1)

I know he was away with Irelandthis week but why does Porter never start? Even when Furlong rested. If he good enough for Ireland he should be playing 60 here

Teams for Munster and Dragons, 10 changes for both sides and that Dragons side isn't looking too good.

Munster: Zebo; Sweetnam, Farrell, Scannell, Wootton; Hanrahan, Williams; O'Connor, Marshall, Archer; Kleyn, Holland (capt); O'Donoghue, Cloete, Copeland.

Replacements: O'Byrne, Cronin, Scott, O'Shea, Flanagan, Hart, Keatley, Arnold.

Dragons: Talbot-Davies; Hewitt, Warren, Dixon, Rosser; O'Brien, C Davies; T Davies, Ellis, Fairbrother; J Davies, Landman; Wainwright, Benjamin, Sheekey.

Replacements: Belcher, Garrett, Harris, Andrews, Roach, Pretorius, Robson, Howard.

Teams for Scarlets and Benetton:

Scarlets Johnny McNicholl; Tom Prydie, Hadleigh Parkes, Scott Williams (capt), Paul Asquith, Dan Jones, Jonathan Evans; Dylan Evans, Ryan Elias, Werner Kruger, Lewis Rawlins, David Bulbring, Tadhg Beirne, Will Boyde, John Barclay

Replacements: Taylor Davies, Rhys Fawcett, Simon Gardiner, Tom Price, Josh Macleod, Declan Smith, Rhys Jones, Steff Hughes

Benetton Rugby Jayden Hayward; Angelo Esposito, Tommaso Benvenuti, Ignacio Brex, Andrea Bronzini; Ian McKinley, Giorgio Bronzini, Cherif Traore, Tomas Baravalle, Tiziano Pasquali, Alessandro Zanni, Federico Ruzza, Whetu Douglas, Nasi Manu, Robert Barbieri (capt)

Replacements: Federico Zani, Alberto De Marchi, Filippo Filippetto, Marco Lazzaroni, Sebastian Negri, Edoardo Gori, Alberto Sgarbi, Luca Sperandio

Babies heading out to Scotstoun, could be a massive win if they get it! That's a halfback pairing that need to start working well together, a potentially very strong backrow, centres will be interesting because Byrne could cause Matawalu a lot of trouble given the chance. Wish I could watch it, should be a good one!

I also realised five of that 23 are younger than me and another three are born in the same year... I don't like rugby anymore, see you on The Strong Man Forum.

First start for Cloete, would have liked to see him in action, but it's not being televised

Michael Bent is a better tighthead prop at present.
But if that the point. Shouldn't Bent or someone like Ah You be with Ireland. My point is Porter should not be in an Irish squad if he is that far off. Not a dig at him I understand he is young and learning the position but Bealham should be there instead if he isn't there at this time

But if that the point. Shouldn't Bent or someone like Ah You be with Ireland. My point is Porter should not be in an Irish squad if he is that far off. Not a dig at him I understand he is young and learning the position but Bealham should be there instead if he isn't there at this time
I was surprised that Andrew Porter got called up for November. Right now, I'd have Tadhg Furlong, John Ryan, Finlay Bealham and Michael Bent ahead of him. I can see the logic in calling him up though. The coaching staff clearly think he can contend for a place in the first string 23 come Japan 2019. To do that, he needs to be fast tracked into the Ireland senior squad. I'm more dubious as to whether he';; reach that level in the next 2 years but can't disagree that it's a progressive selection.

Arguably calling Porter into the Ireland squad hinders his development in the very short term. Had he not been in camp in Carton House, he'd quite possibly get 50-60 minutes away to Glasgow.

I was surprised that Andrew Porter got called up for November. Right now, I'd have Tadhg Furlong, John Ryan, Finlay Bealham and Michael Bent ahead of him. I can see the logic in calling him up though. The coaching staff clearly think he can contend for a place in the first string 23 come Japan 2019. To do that, he needs to be fast tracked into the Ireland senior squad. I'm more dubious as to whether he';; reach that level in the next 2 years but can't disagree that it's a progressive selection.

Arguably calling Porter into the Ireland squad hinders his development in the very short term. Had he not been in camp in Carton House, he'd quite possibly get 50-60 minutes away to Glasgow.
I understand all that but like he needs to be at a stage where he can be starting at a time like this for province first when internationals are away. Like the progress needs to be managed

Glesca Squad

15 . Jackson
14. Measaga
13. Grigg
12.Johnson
11. Matawalu
10.P Horne
9. G Horne

1. Bhatti
2.Turner
3.Rae
4. Swinson
5.Cummings
6.Harley
7. Giibbins ( cap )
8.M Fagerson

Replacements

16. McArthur
17. Allan
18 Wynne
19.Nicol
20.Smith
21.Pyrgos
22.Dunbar
23.Sarto

Analysis

Fascinating choice ! Brothers at half back and no Hastings .Flash( Measagga ) on the wing who will impact and Dunbar and Sarto on the bench . Clever choice !

Speaking of Old Men... the Cardiff front row is something else.

Tau Filise - 40 years old - 264 caps
Mathew Rees - 36 years old - 84 caps (plenty with the Scarlets etc)
Gethin Jenkins - 37 years old - 182 Cardiff caps (Ponty, Warriors, Toulon etc before that)

Filise probably the fittest of the three of them. There's been a lot of rotation in the Cardiff front row, as a lot of the youngsters taking injuries. Dillion Lewis is injured again etc. I'm going for Munster, Glasgow, Scarlets, Ulster, Ospreys, Chee..Connacht and.... Cardiff (just).

Latest posts