noob here...

Rugbyfan23

Academy Player
Country Flag
Cuba
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Hello.

the name is Will from Miami FL. I just got into Rugby a couple of months ago through some advertisement some people left on my car window. I'm a big fan of NFL (American Football) and it derives completely from the sport of Rugby so i said what the hell and decided to learn more about the sport. Glad i found this forum.

Maybe some of you guys can fill me in on this wonderful sport, thanks in advance :).

Hey, Will.

Glad to have another potential fan on board. All you need to know is that the Springboks from South Africa are the world champions and the best team in the world. They are also on course to win their 3rd ***le in 5 tournaments this year in New Zealand. Don't listen to their (New Zealand) propaganda!

On can go into rules etc but I guess the best thing for you to do is see if you can catch a few games on the internet. I think rugby is also going to be available in the USA on TV soon if not allready although I don't know which channels and when it is set to start.

Interesting fact is that the US of A are the current Olympic rugby champions when it was still an Olympic sport. A 7-man version of the game (rugby 7's LOL) has been voted in as an Olympic sport from 2016.

Welcome to the forum Will!

Here's a video that might help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not bad. That covers the basics except for off-sides.

A player being off side leads to a penalty being awarded to the opposition. You are off side when;

- you are chasing a ball that was kicked by your team and you were in front of the kicker when he kicked
- the ball comes out of a scrum or line-out an you were not the required distance from that set piece; mostly backline players busy defending
- a ruck has formed in a tackle situation and you enter it from the side or from the opposition side; generally when the person is defending and on the back foot
- you enter a loose maul (a moving ruck where the ball isn't on the ground if that makes sense) from the side; most mauls occur right after a line-out
- a team mate knocks the ball on and you play it from the opposition side; happens in open play

Did I miss something?

Thank you, i will check it out :).

I have a question, what is the difference between Rugby UNION and Rugby LEAGUE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, i will check it out :).

I have a question, what is the difference between Rugby UNION and Rugby LEAGUE?

Hi Will,

i'll try to give you a brief outline of the differences:

Rugby League - 13 players from either side on the field at one time (unless a player is sin binned), plus rolling substitutions that can sub on and off, has no line outs, and there's not really pushing in the scrums :), each team has up to six tackles to score before relinquishing the ball to the opposition ... each tackle is a restart in play where the tackled player rolls the ball between his legs to a team mate ... like I said possession lasts for six tackles unless the attacking team makes a mistake, such as knocking the ball on, or passing the ball forward.

In Rugby Union, there's no set amount of tackles, and each team can compete for the ball in rucks, mauls, the tackle, scrums, and lineouts (league doesn't have line outs) ... Union has 15 men on the field per team, plus substitutes.

The points scoring is also slightly different.

... there are more differences, but that's the basics :)

See ya on the forum

Both have the word "rugby" in the ***le. The object of each is to score tries and not have your face stowed in.

That about concludes the similarities of the 2 sports.

Hey Will,

I am coaching mini rugby for my kids team this year. I went to the public library and searched rugby. I ended up pulling 8 books with drills, strategy, maneuvers and fitness conditioning... also a dummies book on the topic as well. It is a good place to start, might add to the skills learned if you join a club. Good luck and have a blast learning the best sport in the world!

Latest posts