• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Not Long To Go...

S

Saint N Sinner

Until the first Next Gen Console it released, who will be forking out for the 360?

I would, but I am totally skint, big time.

Still, cannot wait.

Roll on December 2nd.

Wait a couple of years; There will be sod all worth paying £300 for now;

Once the PS3 is released with all the **** games alonside it, the 360 will come down by at least £100 and there will be a half decent collection of games availible.

Correction:

£280 for console
£40 for PGR3

Price on my face when I actually play it for the first time....priceless.
<

Nah, it's ages away but I'm not shelling out my money on junk like the 360, I'll wait until it's released (plus a year to ensure all bugs are ironed out).

Originally posted by Teh Mite@Nov 21 2005, 01:10 AM

Once the PS3 is released with all the **** games alonside it, the 360 will come down by at least £100 and there will be a half decent collection of games availible.
lol, whats X-Box got... Halo?

GTA, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo e.t.c > X-Box

I'll probably get the PS3 one it drops under the 600 dollars mark, which means Ill be at University then... just charge it to Helen Clark with my interest free student loan
<

I might wait until the Game Companies really get rolling.

Final Fantasy...

Plus, Metal Gear and GTA gets released on Xbox eventually with better graphics etc, Gran Turismo, geesh, still playing that? Project Gotham 2 is realistic with fun thrown in, it cannot be beaten, until 3 comes along.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Nov 20 2005, 06:07 PM
Nah, it's ages away but I'm not shelling out my money on junk like the 360, I'll wait until it's released (plus a year to ensure all bugs are ironed out).
http://www.netjak.com/review.php/878

You may be a fanboy if...

We're gamers. We have our favorites, and we have our least favorites, but the true gamers know exactly why that is, and it can be for whatever reason depending on the type of gamer we are. But then, you have the one-dimensional gamers who choose to have no diversity or concept of what's good, and they rely more on a product name rather than the important aspects of the game or system. We generally call these people fanboys. The fanboy comes in many different shapes, sizes, and mentalities, and in this commentary, I'm going help you understand this annoying species of gamers, while at the same time exposing their ignorance.

DISCLAIMER: Now, I want to make one thing perfectly clear before I start this. I'm not knocking any particular system or its loyal players, so if it seems like I'm bagging on a certain one, I'm not. I'm simply using it as an antagonist to help get the point across.

Now with that being said, you might be a fanboy if...

You see one system...all the time.

This topic can go a million different ways. The majority of gamers out there only have one system, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can have the luxury of owning a collection, so they play their one system and stick with it for whatever reason; maybe it's because they can't afford any others, they aren't as deep into game-playing, or they truthfully have no interest in the rest. And that's cool.

Notice how I stressed the word truthfully. Let's say we have a gamer...we'll call him Xboy. And, of course, Xboy owns the Xbox. Now, Xboy read some reviews, and likes what he sees about games like SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals and Resident Evil 4, and is really wanting to see what all the rave is about with Katamari Damacy. Man, those sound good, don't they? But, there's a problem...none of these games are on his beloved XBox. What? The PS2?! Gamecube?! Xboy doesn't want a stinkin' PS2! He'd never break -- he's an Xbox gamer, dammit! The Xbox is the king and overseer of all gaming systems! Besides, those games can't possibly be any good if they're not on the Xbox, right? XBox for lifeâ€"Gamecube sucks.

Yep, that's his ONE reason, and it's pretty sad.

To this fanboy: Look, despite the fact that you own one system, you should still open your mind. Every system has its ups and downs. There's nothing lame about having just one, but if you're on this whole "my system is better than yours, just because" kick and have no solid reason behind it, all you’re doing is eliminating options and missing out.

You hate a system that's not even released yet.

Sony has released its portable version of the PS2, the PSP, in Japan. Soon, it will hit in North America. Nintendo, the juggernaut of portable gaming, beat Sony to the punch when they released the Nintendo DS months ahead of the PSP. But that is now, so let's talk about "then."

Back when there were just talks in the press about the new portables, the conflict brewed between Nintendo and Sony fanboys on which system would rule the other. They talked about specs, the roster of games for each system, and look and the feel...everything they THOUGHT they knew about the DS and PSP was out there. Right, THOUGHT, as in there being no real information about the systems, just speculation. However, all this debating was going on about a year prior to the DS release, so how in the world could anyone possibly know that much or know enough to pick and choose? Even now, no one except the residents of Japan, or maybe anyone who's been to E3 {and that's a huge maybe), can make a solid comparison between the two systems, but for some reason, we kept on with "PSP is going to flop hard! Nintendo is the king of portables!" or "The DS is gonna feel unplayable with two screens! PSP all the way!"

To this fanboy: I wish I had a crystal ball like you guys, so I can have that power to judge a game or a system months, even years, before it hits the shelves. Let's face it, if you're expressing your fanboyism a whole year in advance, everything you say and type is nothing more than rumors and trash-talk. Did it ever occur to you that Nintendo and Sony would be making modifications as time progressed? But you, the fanboy...the minute you hear of something new, you want to be an official spokesperson. Get off that. Talk about the systems all you want, but don't start bashing until you've tried it out for yourselves.

You have no concept of video game history, and stick with it.

Quick -- think of some the greatest game characters in history. No, not necessarily your favorite, but one that broke barriers in the industry, and paved the way for some of today's characters: Mario and Luigi- arguably most notable duo in gaming, Sonic the Hedgehog pretty much blew Sega wide open, Samus Aran and her Metroid series, classic, and Ken and Ryu- the reason why the quarter-circle motion is a staple in every single fighting game. How about that pixilated guy in Atari's Pitfall, Pitfall Harry?

Enter Xboy. He believes deep down in his soul that Master Chief of Halo fame is the greatest game character ever. He says MC kicked in the door and made first-person shooters what they are today. And Xboy will tell you flat-out without a stutter: Doom sucks, and that nameless marine you played as was...a nobody.

Is it possible for someone to be that shallow? Evidently, because these fanboys exist. Does Xboy even realize that, if it weren't for games like Doom and Wolfenstein, Halo probably wouldn't exist, or be the phenomenon that it is today in the gaming world? Does he even notice that the Master Chief's body armor closely resembles, even almost duplicates, that of "the nameless guy in Doom?"

This doesn't just go for games, but for systems, too. When you think portables, you think Gameboy, don't you? Remember the Atari Lynx? It wasn't all that successful, and it's nowhere near the best portable ever created, but still, it helped open avenues for the Sega GameGear, the Gameboy Advance, and whatever other portables with a color screen.

To this fanboy: There's not much more to say than what's already been said. If this is you, do your research and give credit where credit is due. Favor all you want, just recognize.

Your feelings get hurt when "exclusive" ***les jump systems.

I'm going to cut Xboy a break on this one, because this focus is on the PS2 fanboy. Recently, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, a ***le that was initially a PS2 exclusive, was given the green light to jump to the Xbox.

"Oh, no," says the PS2 fanboy. "This was supposed to be for us and only us! What a dark day we live in as PS2 owners." Honestly, should there be any shock to this jump? Who didn't see it coming? Didn't Vice City and GTA III both jump to the XBox...well after the sales surge they had with the PS2?

Let me define what the word "exclusive" means in relation to video gaming. Exclusive means that a certain game is for one system and one system only, that is, up until another system's company strikes a better offer and that game company sees that as another opportunity to make more of a killing with said game. And, exclusive ***les are a company's way of suckering gamers to buy their system, because there know there are people out there that will buy a system just to get their hands on one game or game series. It's all about the money, so don't get riled up over things like this.

To this fanboy: Alright, just because you own a PS2 doesn't mean you're part of a special PS2 players union. You, as the owner of whatever system, are not in any way doomed when a game jumps. GTA:SA is on its way to the Xbox...so what? That's great for anyone who owns the Xbox, and I'm happy for all Xbox owners who have been itching to get their hands on it. I mean, why shouldn't they enjoy the game, too, right? Think realistically -- how does this situation hurt you as a PS2 game player? How do exclusive ***les help you? Okay, maybe you can run around saying to your buddies, "Hey, it sucks to be you! You don't have a PS2, and I can own this game and you can't! Neener, neener, neener." That's just lame, so don't be like that. Besides, the only one that should have a problem with the venture is Sony. They are the ones that are losing out, not you. So just let it go.

You're a message board and chat room invader.

Most of us out there are members of chat rooms and message boards, where gamers can express themselves on different types of issues and news within various categories of gaming. We all get together and talk about whatever...trade strategies and tips, debate, and put forth our individual views on certain topics and issues.

Let me lay down the scenario. Say you're in a Nintendo-based chat room talking about how great Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is. You're all enjoying yourselves and actually having a sensible discussion with your peers, until our favorite idiot Xboy busts in with a tag like "halo_is_god", his oversized Master Chief avatar, ridiculously huge font and blinding bright green color, with a message like: "OMFG METRIOD PRIM IS TEH SUXXORZ HALO IZ TEH GR8EST EVAR!!1!1" It's funny at first, and everyone else bags on his one-dimensional opinions and bad punctuation. But then, he sits in the room and spams that same message repeatedly, agitating everyone and pretty much diverting the focus of a once-good conversation. It's happened to you once or twice, I know.

To this fanboy: Of all facets of fanboyism, this one has to be the most annoying one to deal with. If you fall in this category, for the love of all things sacred, knock it off. Not only do you look shallow when you do it, but you're being a complete moron on top of it. I classify this type of fanboy as a stain on the gaming world and the internet in general. That's right, I said it.

In Closing...

Now, I know I didn't touch on all the areas, but I'm pretty sure you get the gist. Fanboyism is out there, and it isn't a serious issue in gaming, but some of us need to be more open and not live in a bubble. It's all about taking in the full enjoyment, and if you're showing an overbearing loyalty to one facet, or you're gunning down other people's opinions simply because they differ from yours, then you're hurting yourself and your attitude tarnishes the gaming community. Play favorites all you want, but for your own sake, have solid reasoning instead of "it sucks because it's Sony," or "It's Nintendo, so it's great." But, if you absolutely must be a fanboy, be a fan of gaming.

Originally posted by Ripper+Nov 20 2005, 07:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Nov 20 2005, 07:03 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Teh Mite
@Nov 21 2005, 01:10 AM

lol, whats X-Box got... Halo?

GTA, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo e.t.c > X-Box [/b]
Hmmm...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

On Xbox

Metal Gear Solid[/b]

A hour cutt scene with 4 hours gameplay. Widely regarded as inferior to Splimter Cell. Is on Xbox anyway.

Gran Turismo[/b]

I've got a great idea of fun guys!!! I'll get a game where I use a Nissan Skyline, 'coz dat mak3z eet c00l [/1337], and I'll do the same race over and over and over. Coz is looks good, innit! The AI may be shite and it may be boring as f***, but it looks good and its got 400 cars that I'll never use coz I have my Skyline, so it's da best.

In other words; Moto GP 3 > Gran Turismo

Fair pointage but...

And Xboy will tell you flat-out without a stutter: Doom sucks, and that nameless marine you played as was...a nobody.[/b]

I like Doom, I thought 3 was ace.
<

Nice points there, all fair of course.

I am a fanboy, I will admit it...there is nothing wrong with being a fanboy of a console. It shows your respect for the company and your loyalty, even that probably sounds like a sport but anyway....

.....I am a fanboy, pure and simple...I used to love the PS2 over Xbox, and I dare say I shall purchase all Next Gen consoles when I am loaded enough but, the 360 is the console for me, even though I cannot afford it yet
<
<

I thought it was a global release (NA, Japan, Europe) on November 22.

I'll wait to the PS3 is out till i decide which one to get. No point making a decision until youve seen what both can do (well if you are only buying one of them that is). The only thing that I see as a given is that the 360 will have better/more online support. Looks like the launch ***les for 360 are pretty average from what I hear, but that happens with all machines launch ***les.

i used to like ps2 over xbox, but then my mate had an xbox and i loved it, so i got one of them, gave my ps2 2 day (no idea why he wanted it but oh well its getting use) and i still play my xbox.

will get an xbox 360 when they cost less than a weeks pay. less rent
<

its about the games folks, always has been, always shall be
<

As long as I can have MAME running smoothly, Im happy.

Dont be taken in by the hype of any of the next gen machines, there really isnt that much of a difference.

your faithfully
an old and toothless gamer.

Originally posted by Teh Mite+Nov 21 2005, 10:07 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 21 2005, 10:07 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Nov 20 2005, 06:07 PM

We're gamers. We have our favorites, and we have our least favorites, but the true gamers know exactly why that is, and it can be for whatever reason depending on the type of gamer we are. But then, you have the one-dimensional gamers who choose to have no diversity or concept of what's good, and they rely more on a product name rather than the important aspects of the game or system. We generally call these people fanboys. The fanboy comes in many different shapes, sizes, and mentalities, and in this commentary, I'm going help you understand this annoying species of gamers, while at the same time exposing their ignorance.

DISCLAIMER: Now, I want to make one thing perfectly clear before I start this. I'm not knocking any particular system or its loyal players, so if it seems like I'm bagging on a certain one, I'm not. I'm simply using it as an antagonist to help get the point across.

This topic can go a million different ways. The majority of gamers out there only have one system, and there's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone can have the luxury of owning a collection, so they play their one system and stick with it for whatever reason; maybe it's because they can't afford any others, they aren't as deep into game-playing, or they truthfully have no interest in the rest. And that's cool.

Notice how I stressed the word truthfully. Let's say we have a gamer...we'll call him Xboy. And, of course, Xboy owns the Xbox. Now, Xboy read some reviews, and likes what he sees about games like SOCOM II: U.S. Navy Seals and Resident Evil 4, and is really wanting to see what all the rave is about with Katamari Damacy. Man, those sound good, don't they? But, there's a problem...none of these games are on his beloved XBox. What? The PS2?! Gamecube?! Xboy doesn't want a stinkin' PS2! He'd never break -- he's an Xbox gamer, dammit! The Xbox is the king and overseer of all gaming systems! Besides, those games can't possibly be any good if they're not on the Xbox, right? XBox for lifeâ€"Gamecube sucks.

To this fanboy: Look, despite the fact that you own one system, you should still open your mind. Every system has its ups and downs. There's nothing lame about having just one, but if you're on this whole "my system is better than yours, just because" kick and have no solid reason behind it, all you’re doing is eliminating options and missing out.

Sony has released its portable version of the PS2, the PSP, in Japan. Soon, it will hit in North America. Nintendo, the juggernaut of portable gaming, beat Sony to the punch when they released the Nintendo DS months ahead of the PSP. But that is now, so let's talk about "then."

Back when there were just talks in the press about the new portables, the conflict brewed between Nintendo and Sony fanboys on which system would rule the other. They talked about specs, the roster of games for each system, and look and the feel...everything they THOUGHT they knew about the DS and PSP was out there. Right, THOUGHT, as in there being no real information about the systems, just speculation. However, all this debating was going on about a year prior to the DS release, so how in the world could anyone possibly know that much or know enough to pick and choose? Even now, no one except the residents of Japan, or maybe anyone who's been to E3 {and that's a huge maybe), can make a solid comparison between the two systems, but for some reason, we kept on with "PSP is going to flop hard! Nintendo is the king of portables!" or "The DS is gonna feel unplayable with two screens! PSP all the way!"

To this fanboy: I wish I had a crystal ball like you guys, so I can have that power to judge a game or a system months, even years, before it hits the shelves. Let's face it, if you're expressing your fanboyism a whole year in advance, everything you say and type is nothing more than rumors and trash-talk. Did it ever occur to you that Nintendo and Sony would be making modifications as time progressed? But you, the fanboy...the minute you hear of something new, you want to be an official spokesperson. Get off that. Talk about the systems all you want, but don't start bashing until you've tried it out for yourselves.

Quick -- think of some the greatest game characters in history. No, not necessarily your favorite, but one that broke barriers in the industry, and paved the way for some of today's characters: Mario and Luigi- arguably most notable duo in gaming, Sonic the Hedgehog pretty much blew Sega wide open, Samus Aran and her Metroid series, classic, and Ken and Ryu- the reason why the quarter-circle motion is a staple in every single fighting game. How about that pixilated guy in Atari's Pitfall, Pitfall Harry?

Enter Xboy. He believes deep down in his soul that Master Chief of Halo fame is the greatest game character ever. He says MC kicked in the door and made first-person shooters what they are today. And Xboy will tell you flat-out without a stutter: Doom sucks, and that nameless marine you played as was...a nobody.

Is it possible for someone to be that shallow? Evidently, because these fanboys exist. Does Xboy even realize that, if it weren't for games like Doom and Wolfenstein, Halo probably wouldn't exist, or be the phenomenon that it is today in the gaming world? Does he even notice that the Master Chief's body armor closely resembles, even almost duplicates, that of "the nameless guy in Doom?"

This doesn't just go for games, but for systems, too. When you think portables, you think Gameboy, don't you? Remember the Atari Lynx? It wasn't all that successful, and it's nowhere near the best portable ever created, but still, it helped open avenues for the Sega GameGear, the Gameboy Advance, and whatever other portables with a color screen.

To this fanboy: There's not much more to say than what's already been said. If this is you, do your research and give credit where credit is due. Favor all you want, just recognize.

I'm going to cut Xboy a break on this one, because this focus is on the PS2 fanboy. Recently, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, a ***le that was initially a PS2 exclusive, was given the green light to jump to the Xbox.

"Oh, no," says the PS2 fanboy. "This was supposed to be for us and only us! What a dark day we live in as PS2 owners." Honestly, should there be any shock to this jump? Who didn't see it coming? Didn't Vice City and GTA III both jump to the XBox...well after the sales surge they had with the PS2?

Let me define what the word "exclusive" means in relation to video gaming. Exclusive means that a certain game is for one system and one system only, that is, up until another system's company strikes a better offer and that game company sees that as another opportunity to make more of a killing with said game. And, exclusive ***les are a company's way of suckering gamers to buy their system, because there know there are people out there that will buy a system just to get their hands on one game or game series. It's all about the money, so don't get riled up over things like this.

To this fanboy: Alright, just because you own a PS2 doesn't mean you're part of a special PS2 players union. You, as the owner of whatever system, are not in any way doomed when a game jumps. GTA:SA is on its way to the Xbox...so what? That's great for anyone who owns the Xbox, and I'm happy for all Xbox owners who have been itching to get their hands on it. I mean, why shouldn't they enjoy the game, too, right? Think realistically -- how does this situation hurt you as a PS2 game player? How do exclusive ***les help you? Okay, maybe you can run around saying to your buddies, "Hey, it sucks to be you! You don't have a PS2, and I can own this game and you can't! Neener, neener, neener." That's just lame, so don't be like that. Besides, the only one that should have a problem with the venture is Sony. They are the ones that are losing out, not you. So just let it go.

Most of us out there are members of chat rooms and message boards, where gamers can express themselves on different types of issues and news within various categories of gaming. We all get together and talk about whatever...trade strategies and tips, debate, and put forth our individual views on certain topics and issues.

Let me lay down the scenario. Say you're in a Nintendo-based chat room talking about how great Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is. You're all enjoying yourselves and actually having a sensible discussion with your peers, until our favorite idiot Xboy busts in with a tag like "halo_is_god", his oversized Master Chief avatar, ridiculously huge font and blinding bright green color, with a message like: "OMFG METRIOD PRIM IS TEH SUXXORZ HALO IZ TEH GR8EST EVAR!!1!1" It's funny at first, and everyone else bags on his one-dimensional opinions and bad punctuation. But then, he sits in the room and spams that same message repeatedly, agitating everyone and pretty much diverting the focus of a once-good conversation. It's happened to you once or twice, I know.

To this fanboy: Of all facets of fanboyism, this one has to be the most annoying one to deal with. If you fall in this category, for the love of all things sacred, knock it off. Not only do you look shallow when you do it, but you're being a complete moron on top of it. I classify this type of fanboy as a stain on the gaming world and the internet in general. That's right, I said it.

In Closing...

Now, I know I didn't touch on all the areas, but I'm pretty sure you get the gist. Fanboyism is out there, and it isn't a serious issue in gaming, but some of us need to be more open and not live in a bubble. It's all about taking in the full enjoyment, and if you're showing an overbearing loyalty to one facet, or you're gunning down other people's opinions simply because they differ from yours, then you're hurting yourself and your attitude tarnishes the gaming community. Play favorites all you want, but for your own sake, have solid reasoning instead of "it sucks because it's Sony," or "It's Nintendo, so it's great." But, if you absolutely must be a fanboy, be a fan of gaming. [/b]
remind me here for a minute - who was the one who orignally said : <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Once the PS3 is released with all the **** games alonside it, the 360 will come down by at least £100 and there will be a half decent collection of games availible.[/b]

and Im a fanboy and proud... BITE ME BIATCH.

its times like these I am happy having a pc. no decision to make it all just stay with what is knowen and no need to worry about what if of certian games releasing and other not. sure there is the odd game that never makes it to pc but by and large most do and don't have to worry about missing out on a game. I may consider getting a console once both are out and the price drops but until there pc for me

yeah i have my pc and i love it
<
much better than a console, i just like the ease of it, and actually getting up and moving to the couch than sitting infront of a screen
<

but still nothing beats a pc

Originally posted by Ripper+Nov 20 2005, 11:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Nov 20 2005, 11:51 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Teh Mite@Nov 21 2005, 10:07 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Nov 20 2005, 06:07 PM

In Closing...

Now, I know I didn't touch on all the areas, but I'm pretty sure you get the gist. Fanboyism is out there, and it isn't a serious issue in gaming, but some of us need to be more open and not live in a bubble. It's all about taking in the full enjoyment, and if you're showing an overbearing loyalty to one facet, or you're gunning down other people's opinions simply because they differ from yours, then you're hurting yourself and your attitude tarnishes the gaming community. Play favorites all you want, but for your own sake, have solid reasoning instead of "it sucks because it's Sony," or "It's Nintendo, so it's great." But, if you absolutely must be a fanboy, be a fan of gaming.
remind me here for a minute - who was the one who orignally said : <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Once the PS3 is released with all the **** games alonside it, the 360 will come down by at least £100 and there will be a half decent collection of games availible.[/b]

and Im a fanboy and proud... BITE ME BIATCH. [/b]
What I said was "Once the PS3 is released with all the **** games alonside it, the 360 will come down by at least £100 and there will be a half decent collection of games availible."

RELEASE GAMES ARE ALWAYS ****, KNOBHEAD.

I never mentioned anything about the machines credentials.

Latest posts