• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Wales vs. South Africa (26/11/2016)

All the talk of an 'arm wrestle' with the SA pack and they don't even pick a particularity big one. What do you South African's think your the selection?

Interestingly, 14 out the 15 starting players are SA based. Alongside a new coaching team, I think this needs to be looked at. Maybe they could come up with a compromise rule of - in the season before and including a World Cup, only SA based players will be considered for the Springboks. Seems a bit fiddly mind you, and I'd rather have a permanent rule as per New Zealand - I just fear that we wouldn't be able to hold onto our best players without a compromise.

All the talk of an 'arm wrestle' with the SA pack and they don't even pick a particularity big one. What do you South African's think your the selection?

We're not as physical, but we're a hell of lot more mobile.

If the roof is closed, and it's a loose game, this team could be very dangerous.

Wales out-scales in both size and caps (even on the bench). But our 12 might just inspire the hell out of the rest of this lost cause side. Dare I ask, but what would Wales be if they lose against this Springbok side?

Dare I ask, but what would Wales be if they lose against this Springbok side?

Hopefully, it would put us on the verge of a massive shakeup. That prospect alone has me wondering whether a loss would be better in the long run, and I've NEVER felt that way in 30+ years of watching them play.

Hopefully, it would put us on the verge of a massive shakeup. That prospect alone has me wondering whether a loss would be better in the long run, and I've NEVER felt that way in 30+ years of watching them play.

I am feeling the same with the Springboks. I think a loss here would help us more in the future. The first time I ever want the Springboks to lose.

Elton should be helped by having a more dynamic 12 than he did during RC. Lions familiarity should help too and we will see when mapoe comes on.

Elton has already run out of "will he play like he can" opportunities in my book however.

Something is holding South Africa back, and it's not the players they churn out year after year. We all know that.
Something is holding Wales back and it's not the players they bring forth on a regular basis. It's not the structure and it's not the players ... it's gotta be the management.

Great, some fans of both teams want to lose! I actually like both selections for this although I have struggled to see the value of Halfpenny in a Welsh jersey for many years when there are other strong penalty kickers. Liam W would be my first choice at 15 all day long. He is fantastic in the air and creative.

The shift towards picking Lions combinations will be too little too late if AC has "lost the dressing room" which makes this hard to pick. But, I'll say Boks by 5-7 because I think there signs of AC moving towards more open rugby in the couple of games, which should suit 9, 10 & 12.

Last edited:
I've got no problem with halfpenny in the back 3, preferably wing though. He's a player that will never let you down, never miss a tackle, and give his all. He's also got enough pace to take an opportunity when it arises. Sure he won't make something from nothing, but teams are rarely made up entirely of players like that, you need the odd dependable player to hold it all together.

Lydiate is the one I don't understand arm. He offers very little. King would have been a better option Imo, or even someone like Turnbull, Ellis Jenkins etc.

Glad that Tips is on again. A stat wales online had earlier is that Tips has made 104 tackles this season (O's & Wales), and hasn't missed a single one! Whilst he may not smash people back in the tackle, he won't let anyone down in that regard. Add that to his sublime handling, pace, and link play (he's made more passes than any Welsh outside back this Autumn with 22), and he's such a special player. Get the tight 5 smashing more rucks if that's an issue, because a space must always be found for Tips.

Great, some fans of both teams want to lose! I actually like both selections for this although I have struggled to see the value of Halfpenny in a Welsh jersey for many years when there are other strong penalty kickers. Liam W would be my first choice at 15 all day long. He is fantastic in the air and creative.

The shift towards picking Lions combinations will be too little too late if AC has "lost the dressing room" which makes this hard to pick. But, I'll say Boks by 5-7 because I think there signs of AC moving towards more open rugby in the couple of games, which should suit 9, 10 & 12.

This is basically the backline we all wanted just after the Super Rugby tournament. But I'm very anxious as to how they will go about. The Lions-group is now being coached by a different management-team, and their confidence is very low. It could be a very long day at the office.

Agreed - little too late. It might be a sign of him knowing it might be his last game in charge, and his conscience - which includes the majority of the SA rugby fanbase - has finally swayed him into selecting this combination which he clearly never backed.

Also, Goosen & Kitshoff being the only foreign based players is a sign of the direction they're going. Positive signs, but little too late.

No doubt, this Bok team is capable of beating Wales, but not with this management team.

its such an awkward position to be in. yes id take any kind of win against south africa normally but tomorrow we need a big performance from all the lads. just scraping another win will of course be good to get a SH scalp but will just paper over the cracks temporarily until the 6 nations comes around and we get hammered (if we play as we are currently) against every side (if they continue their current form)

Going to this game, got a free ticket last minute with work. Hopefully it's a better spectacle than I'm expecting!

Does feel like Wales are in a bit of a lose lose situation here. Win and it'll be because of SA's dreadful form + an inexperienced selection, lose and they can't even beat a side Italy managed to beat. So they kinda need to win well with a good performance ; and I can't see that happening.

If both sides play as they have been, it's going to be a low quality tight game. If one side can raise their game, they'll probably walk it.

Jesus if that's the calm and collected response I'd love to see you angry. Games not been played. 80 minutes of rugby yet before you're allowed to go full ****** off.

I think what Valley Commando means is that Wales is full of stars.

Another ****ing balls up of a ****ing selection what the **** is he trying to do ? loose his ****ing job? **** off an entire nation ? Improve our ****ing odds for next years 6 ****ing nations ? **** **** **** never been so ****ing angry, apart from yesterday when I heard the selection, still I've calmed down a bit now.

Yeah, but tell us how you really feel

Latest posts