• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Wales vs. South Africa (26/11/2016)

Sadly Wales will have majority of starters in New Zealand so we need them to pick it up.

Even Gatland won't be able to stuff the Lions with Welsh this time. Last time they had won the Grand slam the year before and then won the 6N again with a convincing win over England. This time they haven't won anything since the last Lions test and I somehow doubt the "best" autumn internationals in recent Welsh history or knocking England out of the world cup last year will be enough. They will have to win the 6N this year for him to consider packing out the Lions with Welsh players and I see nothing in the Welsh side to suggest they could beat Ireland or England, hell maybe not even Scotland or France either.

Even Gatland won't be able to stuff the Lions with Welsh this time. Last time they had won the Grand slam the year before and then won the 6N again with a convincing win over England. This time they haven't won anything since the last Lions test and I somehow doubt the "best" autumn internationals in recent Welsh history or knocking England out of the world cup last year will be enough. They will have to win the 6N this year for him to consider packing out the Lions with Welsh players and I see nothing in the Welsh side to suggest they could beat Ireland or England, hell maybe not even Scotland or France either.

He'll make a go of it. ;) He picked Cuthbert and Ian Evans for the last squad among 16 Welsh players in total.

So here is the record for 2016 under the affirmative action run SARU.

Played 12
Won 4 - 33%
Lost 8 - 67%
Worst record in professional era

PF - 240
PA - 329
First time SA has finished season with more PA than PF

TF - 20
TA - 35
First time SA has finished season with more TA than TF

Finished IRB ranking 6th
equivalent worst with 2003/4 era who at least had a 52% win ratio.

Lost to Ireland for the first time ever at home.
Only the 2nd loss ever to Argentina
Biggest losing margin ever at home (NZ 57-15)
1st loss to an injury beset England side in over a decade.
Lost to Italy for the first time ever.
Only the 3rd loss ever to Wales who themselves are a side playing badly.

This is small peek into the state of chaos that exists in SA today. It is very indicative of the systematic destruction of a country that had so much potential.

This is what happens when politicians gut your team selections!

Cuthbert?
Aye Carumba.
There several Welsh players who are worth their place in the Lions however the form teams are Ireland and England.

Tips is no where near a world XV FFS.

AWJ is the only player who might might be in a World XV cat.

Would personally have Rettalick,Whitelock and Maro ahead of AWJ in this year's world XV. Eben Etzebeth, but he's been pretty ordinary in a poor Springbok team. AWJ's form this year for Wales has also been pretty ordinary. I think Launchbury and Kruis have played better than AWJ this year, so would only have AWJ about about joint 6th in the pecking order if we're talking about form locks to choose in a world XV in 2016.

Last edited:
As far as yesterdays starters, apart from Tips, Melon, AWJ, 1/2p and Biggar we were average at best, as far as the Lions go all 5 of them will go to NZ. Sam D who needs to start in the 6 nations has the x factor and given game time as a starter can prove to be the best 10 in the NH, Keelan Giles can also get on the plane to NZ if Howler has the sense to pick him.
The greatest pity is that we didn't get stuffed by SA, had we then the nice Mr Davies and his wonderful committee may have had know choice but to remove the wonderfully fantastic and extremely perceptive Mr Howley from his position (Gilfach Goch 3rds are looking for a coach I'm sure they'd interview him, whether he would be suitably qualified I'm not sure)
I would imagine that we will be subject to the same short sighted selection policies come the 6 nations, hang on, have I inadvertently stumbled on the solution to our 'Woes in Wales' -: Mr Howley may just be short sighted, we could be a trip to speck savers away from a Grand Slam.

- - - Updated - - -

Would personally have Rettalick,Whitelock and Maro ahead of AWJ in this year's world XV. Eben Etzebeth, but he's been pretty ordinary in a poor Springbok team. AWJ's form this year for Wales has also been pretty ordinary. I think Launchbury and Kruis have played better than AWJ this year, so would only have AWJ about about joint 6th in the pecking order if we're talking about form locks to choose in a world XV in 2016.

You are wrong AWJ's form has never been ordinary and this year together with Tips, Melon been a shining light amongst an otherwise average 8.

- - - Updated - - -

You are wrong AWJ's form has never been ordinary and this year together with Tips, Melon been a shining light amongst an otherwise average 8.

Best performance of the Autumn for Wales and yet they were still pretty poor. I hope the fact that SA were truly shocking won't gloss over yet another mediocre Wales performance.

On SA, my god, what are they doing. Most of their attacks either ended in unenforced knock one, or being stripped of the ball. Wales applied good pressure in defense, but on occasion it was first phase ball that they were butchering! Something very wrong there.

Glad to see Tips having another blinder. He looked a class above tonight. As many Welsh supporters have been calling for for years, build a damned pack around this exceptionally talented player!

Yep, I hope going forward we change the makeup of that back row, Faletau at 8, Warburton at 6 and Tipuric at 7. Far more dynamic and posing more of a threat at the breakdown. I rate Lydiate, I really do but he's a tackler only and Moriarty is really catching up on taking his place too.

Last edited:
As far as yesterdays starters, apart from Tips, Melon, AWJ, 1/2p and Biggar we were average at best, as far as the Lions go all 5 of them will go to NZ. Sam D who needs to start in the 6 nations has the x factor and given game time as a starter can prove to be the best 10 in the NH, Keelan Giles can also get on the plane to NZ if Howler has the sense to pick him.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Seen through the eyes of an unbiased Welsh fan.:rolleyes: AWJ has been injured on and off for Wales this year. His form taken over the whole year has not been top notch, ordinary by his standards (2013 Lions being his top level) , as has Wales. His form is not something that's really stood out compared to his rival locks this year, and so IMO doesn't warrant discussion in the world XV this year. Retallick, Whitelock and Maro Itoje have and their form this year has, which was the original discussion point.

Last edited:
Seen through the eyes of an unbiased Welsh fan.:rolleyes: AWJ has been injured on and off for Wales this year. His form taken over the whole year has not been top notch, ordinary by his standards (2013 Lions being his top level) , as has Wales. His form is not something that's really stood out compared to his rival locks this year, and so IMO doesn't warrant discussion in the world XV this year. Retallick, Whitelock and Maro Itoje have and their form this year has, which was the original discussion point.

Terribly sorry old chap, I thought the original discussion was November Tests Wales V SA, which has morphed into more or less what always happens on this forum - arrogant English having a pop at us, Itoje may turn into a world class player he certainly has potential but currently he's not in the same league as AWJ.

Great counter-argument man, you convinced me. Tom Wood is obviously the best in the world. Stupid me.

Why do you immediately assume that the opinion in based on jingoism? I agree that Tipuric is a long way off an World XXIII talk about XV, why should this mean that I believe that Wood would get in? FWIW, I don't think that there's a single player in the England side who is the best in the world in their position.

Terribly sorry old chap, I thought the original discussion was November Tests Wales V SA, which has morphed into more or less what always happens on this forum - arrogant English having a pop at us, Itoje may turn into a world class player he certainly has potential but currently he's not in the same league as AWJ.

Oh no problem old chap, you jump in when you want. Your fellow Welsh poster was arguing for at least 3 Welsh players to be considered in a World XV including AWJ. I just said none of them would. Don't see many French, Kiwi, Australian, South African Irish, Scottish, American, Argentinian posters jumping in to vehemently disagree and trump the cause of AWJ in a World XV. But you just carry on with that massive chip on your shoulder.

Nothing quite like the hypocrisy of a biased Welsh fan calling the English arrogant. The most arrogant team in the NH for the past few years has been Wales by a LONG way. Tell me, are you of the ilk whose responses to England are limited to the following phrases:

"Arrogant English"
"30-3"
"Didn't get out of the pool"

At the moment you seem to define your success by your ability to beat us.

It was, then someone dragged it off topic by suggesting that a player who doesn't make some people's top ten lists in his position could make a world XV. Rather arrogant some would say. I struggle to recall what nation that poster supports!

Allow me to apologise for my arrogance in saying that none of the England team are the best in the world in their position at the moment!

Oh no problem old chap, you jump in when you want. Your fellow Welsh poster was arguing for at least 3 Welsh players to be considered in a World XV including AWJ. I just said none of them would. Don't see many French, Kiwi, Australian, South African Irish, Scottish, American, Argentinian posters jumping in to vehemently disagree and trump the cause of AWJ in a World XV. But you just carry on with that massive chip on your shoulder.

How you can say I have a chip on my shoulder, with the comments you make you must have a lorry load of spuds on yours. I have been trying to work out why the English rugby fans in general have a high degree of arrogance my conclusion is class or rather lack of it, our roots are predominantly working class on and off the field, your support and player base is historically upper class public school toffs.

How you can say I have a chip on my shoulder, with the comments you make you must have a lorry load of spuds on yours. I have been trying to work out why the English rugby fans in general have a high degree of arrogance my conclusion is class or rather lack of it, our roots are predominantly working class on and off the field, your support and player base is historically upper class public school toffs.

Now you are anti establishment and an English hater!

For starters, Tips is no where near World XI, the man was decimated and invisible vs Australia. AWJ is a top lock, no denying that fact but he hasn't been on top form. How you can make the assumption Sam D would be the best 10 in NH rugby with a bit of game time is beyond belief. Ford, Sexton and Farrell are playing a level above him at the moment,

That's hilarious.:D You say how dare I say you have a chip on your shoulder, then your post goes onto prove that you do. Yes, do carry on, that chip is turning into a massive boulder.

Last edited:

Oh such arrogance, being on a winning streak Wales have never achieved in their history coupled with a grand slam and a whitewash of Aus doesn't mean we are allowed to think we might WIN. Perish the though, English thinking they have any better players than someone else! Everyone knows English players are all mediocre or poached, there is no way any English can be in a world XV!

I mean look how arrogant we are, making a derogatory video about the Aussies before we faced them. Absolutely terrible. Also how we tried to make the Welsh side stand out in the dark, alone for 5 minutes when they came to Twickenham or how we didn't show the Scottish flag when they came to Twickenham. Perhaps the constantly regurgitating of the times we beat Wales as justification for how we are better? Damn don't you hate it when England do all those things to other sides whilst getting nothing but the nicest possibly treatment in return? Isn't it just horrible how England have gone into the last 4 6N saying nobody else needs to bother turning up because we are so much better it is already our grand slam and that the winner of our opening game would go on to be the winner of the 6N. Wasn't it terrible when Englishmen went bleating to the media about how we aren't respected enough and that our opponents are arrogant? How about that time we went to the press and said the opposition know our plans but have no way to stop us?

Incase your sarcasm detector has completely failed, everything above has been done by other nations towards England. So again, where is this English arrogance besides in your own little bigotted head? Are you completely oblivious to the fact that us English get a whole lot more **** thrown at us than we throw out yet a bunch of petty little nationalists like you act like you're the victim. Quite frankly I'm sick of it. Stop being such a bunch of petulent, deluded, cherry picking nationalists and grow the **** up.

Last edited:
Now you are anti establishment and an English hater!

For starters, Tips is no where near World XI, the man was decimated and invisible vs Australia. AWJ is a top lock, no denying that fact but he hasn't been on top form. How you can make the assumption Sam D would be the best 10 in NH rugby with a bit of game time is beyond belief. Ford, Sexton and Farrell are playing a level above him at the moment,

World 11 maybe not although he is probably talented enough to play Soccer at a decent level. As to Sam D wait and see I think he could be better than all of them, he gets the nod at the Ospreys often enough and lets face it currently Ford may be better than Biggar but Farrell isn't and Sexton has become injury prone and is nearer the end of his career than the others.

Latest posts