• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Now that you've had it for a while?

Do you actually enjoy Rugby 2005 more than NRL?

• Yeah easily! It's the best rugby union/league game by a long shot!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Now that I've had time to see what it's really like, I actually think NRL was more fun to play.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 22 2005, 11:21 AM
I see what your saying, but the poll wasn't about which game is better, but which you found more fun to play after extended play
So why does it matter if its unrealistic then?

WCR is just more fun to me. multiplayer is great. I enjoy the big hit button and like the fact you lose the ball each time you get hit with it. Late tackle are glorius. I dont care about lineouts and scrums they just hold you up from the fun. And the goal kicking is no worse on WCR than it is on SJRL. I honestly dont see what makes that aspect of SJRL or rugby 2005 any more fun.

Although i prefer games to be more arcadey or extreme
e.g i like NBA Street Vol 2, SSX3 Destruction Derby, rollcage etc
and did anyone ever play brutal football? now thats was a fun game.

rugby league was too boring for me.....it was worse than arcade style it was like playing tennis no realism whatsoever!

rugby 2005 is the best rugby game by far

rugby 2005 lacks in single player but remember theres always a second control pad
<

multiplayer rocks!!!!

Originally posted by Serge+Mar 22 2005, 10:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Serge @ Mar 22 2005, 10:25 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Mar 22 2005, 11:21 AM
I see what your saying, but the poll wasn't about which game is better, but which you found more fun to play after extended play
So why does it matter if its unrealistic then?

[/b]
Good point. That comes down to opinion, but I personally expect a game which is based on a sport to accurately recreate it's feel to at least a minimal degree... WCR would have been great in the arcades, but not further than that...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
WCR is just more fun to me. multiplayer is great. I enjoy the big hit button and like the fact you lose the ball each time you get hit with it. Late tackle are glorius. I dont care about lineouts and scrums they just hold you up from the fun.[/b]

I hated all those things... If I play a rugby game I want it to feel like rugby and I want to feel as though I'm really there at the match, otherwise I find it hard to get into and enjoy... Thats why I liked SJRL (modded), because it really carried the atmosphere of League and the game was full of impact

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
And the goal kicking is no worse on WCR than it is on SJRL. I honestly dont see what makes that aspect of SJRL or rugby 2005 any more fun.[/b]

I personally just think it's ridiculous taking it from that angle and it's overly simplistic with no real way to miss... In SJRL you had to at least hit the strike meter correctly even if you aimed it right.

Other than that, the forwards constantly poluting the back line drove me absoultely insane as they ran with about as much pace as a snail. It made it very hard to enjoy.

Thats one of the things I actually liked about WCR. Big Welsh props crashing it up in midfeild like they do in real life. Very fun as its never the case that all 8 forwards are in the same ruck.

yeah but it's not very reliastic when you have irish props like Corrigan and Hayes doing it. Plus is was gay the way they'd just drop the ball all the time due to their bad handling stats.

I wouldn't know if it's better or not. The US gets only EA rugby games from what I know, so I can't experiment...*sob* But R2005 is fine for now!
<

Originally posted by ..::ERIC::..@Mar 23 2005, 08:14 AM
Thats one of the things I actually liked about WCR. Big Welsh props crashing it up in midfeild like they do in real life. Very fun as its never the case that all 8 forwards are in the same ruck.
forwards are in the back line constantly in Rugby 2005 also, the difference is that they have realistic speed, so even though it's not likely you'll run the whole feild to score with one, they don't take 20 minutes to move up the feild 5 metres like in WCR...

can someone please tell me how you quote 2+ things in one post? Always wondered how.

Originally posted by Serge@Mar 23 2005, 04:59 PM
can someone please tell me how you quote 2+ things in one post? Always wondered how.
depends, if somebody makes a long post and cuts it into 3 parts he just manually puts in <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
for the parts he wants to answer

I had Brutal sports football on the amiga cutting the heads off was awesome and multiplayer was the best on that game. The biggest problem in rugby 2005 is the crap camera angles none of them are good to play on and it doesn't feel like rugby. World league could be the only thing that makes rugby 2005 last any length of time and even that will get boring after you are in top divison with an awesome team. Sjrl may not have as much tournaments as rugby 2005 but the ablity to modd the game will makes it last longer. Updating rugby 2005 to proper 2005 roosters and other things could take awhile compatred to Sjrl where bascially everything is easily modded. Also in Sjrl can't you have custom comps or create your own tournament. For me Sjrl will proabbly start getting played again after I complete super 12 season and have a good team in the top world league divison.

Originally posted by esoj@Mar 23 2005, 10:14 PM
I had Brutal sports football on the amiga cutting the heads off was awesome and multiplayer was the best on that game. The biggest problem in rugby 2005 is the crap camera angles none of them are good to play on and it doesn't feel like rugby. World league could be the only thing that makes rugby 2005 last any length of time and even that will get boring after you are in top divison with an awesome team. Sjrl may not have as much tournaments as rugby 2005 but the ablity to modd the game will makes it last longer. Updating rugby 2005 to proper 2005 roosters and other things could take awhile compatred to Sjrl where bascially everything is easily modded. Also in Sjrl can't you have custom comps or create your own tournament. For me Sjrl will proabbly start getting played again after I complete super 12 season and have a good team in the top world league divison.
Definately true about the camera angles... All of them are terrible! You have to switch through several of them during the course of the game to properly see what your doing!
NRL, even though it isn't as advanced in alof of area's, is still clearly ahead of Rugby 2005 in several area's:
1.Stadiums in NRL are much more accurate and the feild markings are almost always spot on! Not like Rugby 2005 who through their stupid EA logo's in your face all the time and have mostly inaccurate stadium recreations.
2.Commentary, the NRL commentary with 'Vossy' is a generation ahead of Rugby 2005's pathetic pommy ****** who is so clearly reading it's not funny.
3.Editabiliy, Rugby 2005 has been incripted to the shithouse and is incredibly frustrating to edit, NRL is much more user friendly
4.Passing, while passing in Rugby 2005 is slicker and more advanced in alot of ways, the fact that you can't pass out of a tackle, or pass at all even when a defending player is 5 metres away from you (because they've begun a tackle animation) takes away all the other good work they've done here.
5.Kicking, kicking in NRL still needed alot of work, but it was relatively accurate... but the animations in Rugby 2005 take so long to complete you need masses of space to get a grubber or chip out.

As I said, there are also lots of things Rugby 2005 does much better than NRL, but considering HB had time to asses it's competition (ie have a go at NRL), it's pretty pathetic that in these area's they couldn't get ahead...

I think the big thing R2005 has going for it is just the general movement and player inertia that goes with everthing that happens. Running and movement wise this is very advanced compared to NRL 1.

Heres hoping that NRL2 is a lot easier to control.

Just the fact that If I decide to cut back inside on R2005 I can and it happens instantly, without having to wait a week like in NRL1.

Like I have said before I was enjoying NRL1 until the release of this game, now after playing this I am finding it very hard to tolerate the way NRL runs. I just wish R2005 had some of the features of NRL1 and just the fact that im a league fan means I will never enjoy R2005 as much as I would a similar based league ***le.

I am at this time very much enjoying R2005 although I am sincerely hoping that NRL2 tops it in a big way. But if they dont get the control and player movement right, then I dont think even the franchise would save it and that would be incredibly frustrating.

Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Mar 27 2005, 11:35 PM
I think the big thing R2005 has going for it is just the general movement and player inertia that goes with everthing that happens. Running and movement wise this is very advanced compared to NRL 1.

Just the fact that If I decide to cut back inside on R2005 I can and it happens instantly, without having to wait a week like in NRL1.

Like I have said before I was enjoying NRL1 until the release of this game, now after playing this I am finding it very hard to tolerate the way NRL runs. I just wish R2005 had some of the features of NRL1 and just the fact that im a league fan means I will never enjoy R2005 as much as I would a similar based league ***le.

I am at this time very much enjoying R2005 although I am sincerely hoping that NRL2 tops it in a big way. But if they dont get the control and player movement right, then I dont think even the franchise would save it and that would be incredibly frustrating.
player movement is an issue in RL1 definately, but don't you think the horribly long and freezing tackle movements that start when a player is 5 metre's away from you, making it impossible to pass or offload when the player actually hits you, are just as irritating for Rugby 2005? Seriously, the pro-longed animation problem in Rugby 2005 makes passing VERY painful, it makes any sort of spur of the moment grubber, chip etc impossible and it also makes it impossible even for you to change direction!!! It's even more annoying compared to the player movement probs in NRL in that sense...

Originally posted by sanzar+Mar 28 2005, 12:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Mar 28 2005, 12:42 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-knowsleyroader
@Mar 27 2005, 11:35 PM

player movement is an issue in RL1 definately, but don't you think the horribly long and freezing tackle movements that start when a player is 5 metre's away from you, making it impossible to pass or offload when the player actually hits you, are just as irritating for Rugby 2005? Seriously, the pro-longed animation problem in Rugby 2005 makes passing VERY painful, it makes any sort of spur of the moment grubber, chip etc impossible and it also makes it impossible even for you to change direction!!! It's even more annoying compared to the player movement probs in NRL in that sense... [/b]
This is the thing that ****** me off the most about rugby 2005.........

Especially in hard mode where you need to be able to pass at the last moment a lot more (due to the opposition being "sped up" in this mode) but are unable to due to the "animation problem".

Hard mode also annoys me. Speeding up the opposition team, and denying your team possession at rucks (even when they have no support players in sight, or you are unable to turn over the ball even after three huge hits that force their team back 15 mtrs) is just bad programming.

People on here who have said that hard mode is like real rugby are kidding themselves.............it is boring beyond belief when playing against teams like England. You are unfairly denied possession, and your players are made much slower then the oppositions. Scores tend to be unrealistically low as a result, and generally it becomes one big defensive 'bore fest" as a result (where again it is too easy to defend). Drop goal kicking contests generally occur in this mode.

Normal mode on the other hand is just too easy. The computer opposition AI is VERY POOR in attack, and moves at a snail pace making defending far too simple.

Its at a point now that I hardly concede any points at all in this mode.

Lastly you are very rarely awarded any penalties in the game, even though the opposition seem to be able to tackle you regardless if they retire back behind the ruck or not.....I don't know how many times I've been tackled by a player coming from an offside position retiring from a previous play.

I'm bored by rugby 2005 after a week, and are seriously contemplating changing my mind over whether SJRL 1 has more longevity...........
<

Originally posted by NZL fan+Mar 28 2005, 10:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NZL fan @ Mar 28 2005, 10:47 AM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 28 2005, 12:42 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-knowsleyroader
@Mar 27 2005, 11:35 PM

player movement is an issue in RL1 definately, but don't you think the horribly long and freezing tackle movements that start when a player is 5 metre's away from you, making it impossible to pass or offload when the player actually hits you, are just as irritating for Rugby 2005? Seriously, the pro-longed animation problem in Rugby 2005 makes passing VERY painful, it makes any sort of spur of the moment grubber, chip etc impossible and it also makes it impossible even for you to change direction!!! It's even more annoying compared to the player movement probs in NRL in that sense...
This is the thing that ****** me off the most about rugby 2005.........

Especially in hard mode where you need to be able to pass at the last moment a lot more (due to the opposition being "sped up" in this mode) but are unable to due to the "animation problem".

Hard mode also annoys me. Speeding up the opposition team, and denying your team possession at rucks (even when they have no support players in sight, or you are unable to turn over the ball even after three huge hits that force their team back 15 mtrs) is just bad programming.

People on here who have said that hard mode is like real rugby are kidding themselves.............it is boring beyond belief when playing against teams like England. You are unfairly denied possession, and your players are made much slower then the oppositions. Scores tend to be unrealistically low as a result, and generally it becomes one big defensive 'bore fest" as a result (where again it is too easy to defend). Drop goal kicking contests generally occur in this mode.

Normal mode on the other hand is just too easy. The computer opposition AI is VERY POOR in attack, and moves at a snail pace making defending far too simple.

Its at a point now that I hardly concede any points at all in this mode.

Lastly you are very rarely awarded any penalties in the game, even though the opposition seem to be able to tackle you regardless if they retire back behind the ruck or not.....I don't know how many times I've been tackled by a player coming from an offside position retiring from a previous play.

I'm bored by rugby 2005 after a week, and are seriously contemplating changing my mind over whether SJRL 1 has more longevity...........
<
[/b]
Could a possible solution to this be to go back to easy mode and edit the stats of the World League starting players and make them that bit poorer with the editor provided on this forum ?

Just a thought.

Latest posts