NRFL Combine in United States Ready to Roll on April 5-6th

bakakumon

Academy Player
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
Hong Kong
NRFL_Logo_Shadow-281x300.png

In just under two weeks, almost two hundred athletes will take the field at TCF Stadium in Minnesota for the first-ever National Rugby Football League scouting combine. The venture is the brainchild of Minnesota-based RugbyLaw who have been working on the project for the last six years. The group had attempted to roll out the combine and subsequent Independence Cup last year, but timing and other issues forced a delay. With most of those issues now settled, the combine moves forward and there is a great deal of optimism that the Independence Cup series will take place later in the summer.

The group had initially planned the combine to use as a scouting combine for their own venture with the combine targeting the signing of approximately 30 players to train with former Ireland and Eagles Head Coach Eddie O’Sullivan. The training is in preparation for a home/away series this coming summer against an English Premiership side. The squad and games are intended to be used as the seed for an expanded 6-12 team NRFL competition to kick off next spring.

However, the combine has taken on a bit of an added angle in recent weeks as turnout has been well better than expected.

The fact that between 160-180 elite level athletes, both with and without rugby experience, will be on display in one place has also opened quite a few eyes around the rugby world.

“Interest has been very high,†says NRFL Director of Player Recruitment Shawn Zobel. “Most players that we have spoken with have expressed that they appreciate another opportunity for a professional sports career. Many are former NFL or top college football players, but there are some rugby players as well.â€

Of those on the list of attendees there are approximately 60 players that have recently been on NFL rosters. The list of players covers just about every NFL squad and includes former All-Americans, Heisman hopefuls, as well as players that were in Super Bowls. However, the recruitment process wasn’t all about bringing in every single player that was ever on the NFL radar.

“We are looking for smart players that give us an indication that they can convert to rugby,†added Zobel who spent the last year taking a crash course in rugby to learn the characteristics, both physical and mental, that make up the best rugby players.

Thretton Palamo is, perhaps, the most notable name on the rugby list. After becoming the youngest player to ever play in a Rugby World Cup, Palamo ended up exploring college football and played at the University of Utah. Having finished his college eligibility, Palamo has returned to rugby and was most recently training at the Olympic Training Center. Palamo is still fairly young at 25 years old, powerful, and most importantly… he is already capped which is important for players looking to ply their trade overseas. He presents an intriguing option for not only overseas scouts, but for the NRFL’s Independence Cup side.

This gathering of potential talent has brought attention to the NRFL combine. Grenoble from France and Munster from Ireland will send scouts to combine. It is possible to include at least one Super Rugby representative. Premiership sides Saracens and Harlequins have both been confirmed as sending representatives to the combine and there could be as many as six Premiership sides sending scouts.

nrfl-combine.png

http://rugbyamerica.net/?p=3738

I'm quite excited about this in all honesty.

I don't expect a lot of contracts to be handed out on the back of this - but if there are, say - 5 guys that go on to play in an elite competition as a result of being scouted here then I think it could be classed as a success.
I have no idea what the quality of all the guys attending will be (variable to say the least I imagine) but the fact that professional sides are sending scouts over suggests they think there are potential players on show.

Are there some beast of 150 kg, between the candidates? Maybe a former defensive tackle

:lol:

Canada has been doing this for ages with the CFL combine, a couple of guys have been discovered or converted over from gridiron though a lot of them had already had casual rugby connections through high school or low level club rugby to begin with.

This league is a broken model it's not going anywhere, the quality of play will probably be utterly pathetic and they are not at all linked to any of the exisiting rugby structure in North America, if anything it will set back plans for a decent run competition for a decade when it flops.

Oh.. I'm not talking about the organisation or their Independence Cup idea.

In terms of getting some potentially cheap decent quality players this is a good thing - then again maybe absolutely nothing will come of it.

Oh.. I'm not talking about the organisation or their Independence Cup idea.

In terms of getting some potentially cheap decent quality players this is a good thing - then again maybe absolutely nothing will come of it.

Yeah there is some potential upside to this, it could be dirt cheap for some clubs to find a couple of project guys that are hanging around.

There is one guy Thretton Palamo who played for Biarritz briefly before going back to Football and who's dad played for Samoa that might be promising. As Munster are sending a scout, I hope they take a chance on someone. Some serious athletes out there, albeit probably with few ball skills, but this list has some pretty big accolades.
http://www.thescore.ie/munster-rugby-combine-america-nfl-1388698-Mar2014/

Yeah there is some potential upside to this, it could be dirt cheap for some clubs to find a couple of project guys that are hanging around.

Exactly - and thinking optimistically - if a moderately high-profile college or NFL player does well it could be great publicity for the game.
And importantly, legitimise the pursuit of the sport as a profession for American athletes.

I don't doubt the vast majority of them would compare favorably with professional rugby players in terms of raw athleticism - there's probably only a small minority of young, potentially skillful guys in the entire combine that scouts are going to be interested in.
How many clubs are going to risk teaching the game to someone in their late 20's?

I could quite easily see Sarries signing an ex-NFL guy purely for the publicity it could provide - in fact I'm almost certain they will.

Last edited:
The NRFL ‏@TheNRFL 17 hours

Excited that the @Saracens, @QuinsRugbyUnion, @Munsterrugby, @FCGrugby & @UlsterRugby will be represented at the NRFL Combine next weekend
The NRFL ‏@TheNRFL 30 minutes

Excited that @scarlets_rugby will be represented at the NRFL Combine this weekend
More teams' representatives will be present in the combine :)

The NRFL twitter page is now following Ahman Green and Shawne Merriman. Both are former NFL players of some repute who have stated an interest in trying out rugby to get into the 2016 Olympic squad. Seven years ago this would have been great news - Green is the Green Bay Packers all time leading rusher but is now 37 and Merriman was outstanding until a leg injury in 2007.

Youngest fella on show will be 21, so we can assume it's an overflow for failed college drafts, but still, if these athletes on the borderline start to realise that rugby is a good bet, the game could explode in the U.S. I really hope someone gets a go for us, because at the end of the day they cant be a worse player than Duncan Willams.

Rumours today IRFU may allow some of these type of "cheap players" be signed and not be counted in the NIQ quota. Linked with fact that teams now have to remain as competitive as possible even through international windows as well as majority only being fringe squad players

Current list of teams whose scouts are attending:

Saracens
Harlequins

Munster
Ulster
Scarlets
Ospreys

Grenoble
Bayonne

Rumours today IRFU may allow some of these type of "cheap players" be signed and not be counted in the NIQ quota. Linked with fact that teams now have to remain as competitive as possible even through international windows as well as majority only being fringe squad players

Ah all the yanks are Irish look at O'Bama even hes Irish.

Typical to see Eddie O'Sullivan there. He is an NFL fan if I remember correctly and his rugby coaching is NFL like too. Players are robots who have to play Eddies way or the highway.

Munster be an april fools day rumour.

Typical to see Eddie O'Sullivan there. He is an NFL fan if I remember correctly and his rugby coaching is NFL like too. Players are robots who have to play Eddies way or the highway.

Munster be an april fools day rumour.

Not April fools as was reported long before April 1st.

Eddie is only there in an advisory role which is understandable as he's got history with US rugby and is respected

Latest posts