Broncos vs. Warriors
Tigers vs. Rabbitohs
Storm vs. Eagles
Sharks vs. Raiders
Cowboys vs. Eels
Roosters vs. Dragons
Panthers vs. Bulldogs
Knights BYE

Venues for the matches will be confirmed by the clubs, while dates for the matches will be released at least five weeks in advance.

Round 1
March 10-12

Knights vs. Eels - 25,000 sellout @ energy australia
Rabbitohs vs. Roosters - 25,000 @ sydney football stadium
Eagles vs. Raiders - 18,000 @ brookvale
Broncos vs. Cowboys - 46,000 sellout @ lang park
Warriors vs. Storm - 17,000 @ ericsson
Tigers vs. Dragons - 43,000 @ telstra
Bulldogs vs. Panthers - 21,000 @ telstra

Sharks BYE

ROUND 1 crowds = 195,000

Yeah, that sounds about right. Rounds 1-5 have generally been packing out the grounds in the last couple years.

Roosters are playing Souths again in round 1! Should be good, we can get revenge on those pricks for their dirty play in our last game.

The numbers always fall dramatically after the first few rounds. Rugby league will never pose a threat to rugby union or AFL crowds. Soccer's A-League could even cause them some problems in a few years time. It is relatively close at the moment with a regular season average of around 11 - 12, 000 - which is a lot better than the NRL's debut year.

Originally posted by sanzar@Jan 18 2006, 11:49 AM
Roosters are playing Souths again in round 1! Should be good, we can get revenge on those pricks for their dirty play in our last game.
Not if they can help it. I hear they're going to slap up Craig Wing with a couple of Erikson mobile phones in the round 1 clash.

Originally posted by sanzar@Jan 18 2006, 11:49 AM
Yeah, that sounds about right. Rounds 1-5 have generally been packing out the grounds in the last couple years.

I saw Joe Williams and Sutton @ Bronte on the weekend.

They look fit and are ready for 2006.

From 2005 indication, the bunnies will be a force if these 2 can stay fit.

But Harrison will be out for retubution in the tri colours, should be a good match IMO

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 18 2006, 11:30 AM
The numbers always fall dramatically after the first few rounds. Rugby league will never pose a threat to rugby union or AFL crowds. Soccer's A-League could even cause them some problems in a few years time. It is relatively close at the moment with a regular season average of around 11 - 12, 000 - which is a lot better than the NRL's debut year.
AFL yeah, but Rugby Union? The Super 12(14) crowds are always pretty high because they're all state teams, and not clubs... The Waratah's average around 20-25,000 I think, but they represent all of NSW and only have a small number of home games each year. Realistically, you should probably compare their crowds with the Blues crowds at Origin time... and you know who would come out on top there. Or if you think that's not right, then get an aggregate of all Sydney NRL teams averages and put them togeather to see which comes out higher.
Rugby League IS Australia's second biggest code, the GF last year got 4.3 million viewers to the AFL's 5 million, which is incredible considering the AFL had 2 non Victorian teams in it (Sydney being it's biggest piggyback) and was televised live all through the country! Whereas the NRL GF featured 2 teams from the traditional rugby league states and was not given live coverage in states such as SA, WA... If Sydney had not featured in the AFL then their numbers would have been closer to 4.5 million or less... Which means that the gap between the AFL and NRL is closing and not widening.

The A-League is doing alright, but it didn't begin in a heap of controversy which saw people turn away from the sport like the NRL did... Generally speaking though, soccer needs to get the working class on its side for it to get any where near toppling Rugby League, and that just hasn't happened... I heard on radio that a recent survey said most working class people had no interest whatsoever in soccer or the A-League. Part of the problem with the A-League is that it's only on FOX, which reduces its accessability... a lot of people don't even know if its still going now! And then of course not even all Aussie soccer fans will support it... I know several guys where I work who play soccer and love the EPL etc, but won't watch the A-League because of the "low standard of play"...

Originally posted by ak47+Jan 18 2006, 12:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jan 18 2006, 12:07 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Jan 18 2006, 11:49 AM

But Harrison will be out for retubution in the tri colours, should be a good match IMO [/b]
I know! And we've got Anasta on board, which is pretty pleasing considering how well he played last year in a struggling Dogs outfit!

Originally posted by sanzar+Jan 18 2006, 01:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jan 18 2006, 01:15 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Jan 18 2006, 11:30 AM
AFL yeah, but Rugby Union? The Super 12(14) crowds are always pretty high because they're all state teams, and not clubs... The Waratah's average around 20-25,000 I think, but they represent all of NSW and only have a small number of home games each year. Realistically, you should probably compare their crowds with the Blues crowds at Origin time... and you know who would come out on top there. Or if you think that's not right, then get an aggregate of all Sydney NRL teams averages and put them togeather to see which comes out higher.
Rugby League IS Australia's second biggest code, the GF last year got 4.3 million viewers to the AFL's 5 million, which is incredible considering the AFL had 2 non Victorian teams in it (Sydney being it's biggest piggyback) and was televised live all through the country! Whereas the NRL GF featured 2 teams from the traditional rugby league states and was not given live coverage in states such as SA, WA... If Sydney had not featured in the AFL then their numbers would have been closer to 4.5 million or less... Which means that the gap between the AFL and NRL is closing and not widening.

The A-League is doing alright, but it didn't begin in a heap of controversy which saw people turn away from the sport like the NRL did... Generally speaking though, soccer needs to get the working class on its side for it to get any where near toppling Rugby League, and that just hasn't happened... I heard on radio that a recent survey said most working class people had no interest whatsoever in soccer or the A-League. Part of the problem with the A-League is that it's only on FOX, which reduces its accessability... a lot of people don't even know if its still going now! And then of course not even all Aussie soccer fans will support it... I know several guys where I work who play soccer and love the EPL etc, but won't watch the A-League because of the "low standard of play"... [/b]
Mate I don't know where you got those figures from, neither grand final got close to those ratings.

And I know you can't compare Super 12 / 14 to the NRL, I was just pointing out that it does draw high crowds. However the only place that the state / city thing comes into place is in New South Wales. The Queensland Reds can be compared to the Brisbane Broncos because there is only one team from each code in Brisbane. Despite being the smallest crowd puller out of the Australian side the Reds draw a similar average crowd to the Brisbane Broncos, which consequently is the biggest crowd pulling franchise in the NRL by same way. But obviously you still can't compare the two competitions because the Super 14 is about 10 rounds shorter than the NRL. I predict crowds to rise to AFL levels for the Australian Super 14 teams this year. I think the season crowd averages will look something like this..

Queensland Reds: 29, 000
ACT Brumbies: 21, 000
New South Wales Waratahs: 36, 000
Western Force: 38, 000

Total average 31, 000 - even if that was the competition was as long the NRL and the crowds were halved (which they wouldn't be) it would still be around the same as the NRL.

No matter what you might think, the AFL is ever increasing the gap between itself and the rest of Australia's football code. It is the one true national code (after cricket) with well supported teams from all states (that matter).

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 18 2006, 01:54 PM
New South Wales Waratahs: 36, 000
your not wrong here

everyone wants to see BIGDELL in SKYBLUE

he himself will bring everyone to the first few games, and if he booms like LOTE, expect each game to sellout with ease.

DELL will boosst the Tahs crowds by 5% IMO.........20% in the 1st few games.

Once hated, now we love him
<

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 18 2006, 12:54 PM
Mate I don't know where you got those figures from, neither grand final got close to those ratings.
I got them from LU a while back, I'd have to did to find a source... but they are roughly what the final ratings are after taking into account all regional area's etc combined with the city-suberb ratings... The initial ratings that come out are just those for the major cities.
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
No matter what you might think, the AFL is ever increasing the gap between itself and the rest of Australia's football code. It is the one true national code (after cricket) with well supported teams from all states (that matter).[/b]

The swans and Lions are just bandwagoner teams Wally... Didn't the Lions ratings etc drop pretty significantly last year when they went badly? Doesn't Iron Shef outrate swans games in Sydney when they're not playing badly? No matter what Victorians might think, the AFL isn't very different to the NRL. It's just the VFL with other teams tacted on to make it reach further, much like the NRL is just the NSWRL with other teams tacted on... The only difference is that the Super League war heavily crippled Rugby League for several years and gave the AFL a chance to take ground! Which incidently is quite ironic considering that the only reason Murdoch invested so much in rugby league was because as both the AFL and League were expanding his analysts conducted a study which projected that Rugby League would take over AFL at the rate it was growing.

Originally posted by sanzar
The swans and Lions are just bandwagoner teams Wally... Didn't the Lions ratings etc drop pretty significantly last year when they went badly? Doesn't Iron Shef outrate swans games in Sydney when they're not playing badly? No matter what Victorians might think, the AFL isn't very different to the NRL. It's just the VFL with other teams tacted on to make it reach further, much like the NRL is just the NSWRL with other teams tacted on... The only difference is that the Super League war heavily crippled Rugby League for several years and gave the AFL a chance to take ground! Which incidently is quite ironic considering that the only reason Murdoch invested so much in rugby league was because as both the AFL and League were expanding his analysts conducted a study which projected that Rugby League would take over AFL at the rate it was growing.
Well the AFL certainly has the numbers on them at the moment. Sponsorship, advertising, television rights - it all equals money and exposure. The amount of people playing Aussie Rules is phenomenal also.

Don't think I'm on their side though, if I could help it rugby union and rugby league would be the only summer footy codes.

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 18 2006, 02:40 PM
Well the AFL certainly has the numbers on them at the moment. Sponsorship, advertising, television rights - it all equals money and exposure. The amount of people playing Aussie Rules is phenomenal also.

Don't think I'm on their side though, if I could help it rugby union and rugby league would be the only summer footy codes.
True. But the NRL is playing its cards right at the moment and expanding well each year... They should probably make it an 18 team comp eventually, starting teams in Adelaide and Perth again. Did you know that the Western Reds were getting crowds of 30k? People in Perth would still go for rugby league given the chance, especially as the number of home games the FORCE will get would be limited in comparison.

Here's an interesting article from Brisbane BTW that I've just come across from after the NRL GF:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
NRL final scores a TV goal
Louise Crossen, entertainment reporter
04oct05

THIS year's NRL grand final has entered the history books, scoring the highest television ratings for a rugby league final.

The nation came to a halt on Sunday night as 2.8 million viewers across Australia gathered to watch the game.

The NRL final also racked up record figures in Brisbane, becoming the city's top-rating show for the year.

Channel 9 said it was the highest-rating NRL grand final in southeast Queensland, outstripping State of Origin for the first time.

The finals clash between the Wests Tigers and the North Queensland Cowboys may not have delivered the result most Queensland fans were hoping for, but the marathon 11-hour broadcast kept viewers glued to their sets.

In Brisbane an average of 778,000 viewers tuned in to watch the game.

The TV audience peaked at 8.30pm, with a record 824,000 Brisbane viewers watching as the Wests Tigers romped home in the second half.

Nationally, Sydney recorded the highest viewers, with a peak audience of 1.2 million on Sunday night, or three-quarters of viewers.

Even in Melbourne â€" traditionally AFL territory â€" the grand final broadcast shot to the position of No.1 program of the night, with a peak of 587,000 viewers.

Speculation Queenslanders had abandoned league for Australian rules was silenced by Sunday's ratings figures.

In Brisbane the previous weekend, Channel 10 struggled to attract a peak audience of 431,378, with an average of 341,435 viewers tuning in to see the Sydney Swans walk away with the AFL premiership.[/b]

Interesting from a Qld perspective.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jan 18 2006, 03:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jan 18 2006, 03:50 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Wally
@Jan 18 2006, 02:40 PM

True. But the NRL is playing its cards right at the moment and expanding well each year... They should probably make it an 18 team comp eventually, starting teams in Adelaide and Perth again. Did you know that the Western Reds were getting crowds of 30k? People in Perth would still go for rugby league given the chance, especially as the number of home games the FORCE will get would be limited in comparison. [/b]
I believe they started well in Perth and Adelaide but things got desparately bad. They wouldn't have folded otherwise. Perth now belongs to rugby union, I don't think rugby league has a chance to survive there. Queensland is strongly a rugy league state, as Victoria is an AFL one. New South Wales is split but mostly in rugby league's favour, the is rest is mainly AFL and cricket, with a sprinkling of rugby union.

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 18 2006, 03:13 PM
New South Wales is split but mostly in rugby league's favour, the is rest is mainly AFL and cricket, with a sprinkling of rugby union.
You think so? Cricket is strong everywhere, but in Sydney the AFL GF gets around a quarter of what the NRL GF rates usually...

Originally posted by sanzar+Jan 18 2006, 01:27 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jan 18 2006, 01:27 PM)</div>
Originally posted by ak47@Jan 18 2006, 12:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-sanzar
@Jan 18 2006, 11:49 AM

But Harrison will be out for retubution in the tri colours, should be a good match IMO
I know! And we've got Anasta on board, which is pretty pleasing considering how well he played last year in a struggling Dogs outfit! [/b]
Anasta is overrated mate

Sure you do need a 5/8th though...and he is the best on the market

But I strongly doubt he will answer your troubles

The whole backline doesnt gel like the fittler days

Anasta is a punters nightmare

1 week on fire
the next tragic

I reckon Firman if given more of a go, would have found his place like he has at the cowboys, but hot head ricky didnt budge

JAMIE SOWARD

the answer to your troubles, Anasta too overrated.....heck Jason Smith, the ole timer was better then him........based on Dally M's and independent ratings from LU.COM, and Smith was injured for 6 games for the dally m count to go against him............heck i gotto stop, i am bleeding green already!!!

Latest posts