• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NSW vs NZ Maori

D

Dumbo

Does anyone know if this game is being televised?

NSW's gonna get smashed...

Last year when i`ve seen NZ Maori kicking Lions arses all over the field, smth puzzled me, there were less maoris that white players in the NZ Maori squad!

New Zealand Maori team for match against the NSW Waratahs: 15 Cory Jane, 14 Hosea Gear, 13 Pehi Te Whare, 12 Neil Brew, 11 Anthony Tahana, 10 Callum Bruce, 9 Corey Tamou, 8 Thomas Waldrom, 7 Tanerau Latimer, 6 Jono Gibbes (captain), 5 Ross Filipo, 4 Kristian Ormsby, 3 Deacon Manu, 2 Scott Linklater, 1 Joe McDonnell.
Replacements: 16 Luke Mahoney, 17 Greg Feek, 18 Paul ***o, 19 Liam Messam, 20 Brendan Haami, 21 Matt Berquist, 22 Shannon Paku.

Yea it seems like anyone can claim they're Maori these days.

So if Paul ***o isn't a Maori, who is then?

Carlos Spencer? Rico Gear?

BM

Never judge a book by it's cover, or NEVER be so bloody rude to judge a book by it's a cover.

I reckon' if you said that to his face you'd get smashed.
It's about blood, not colour.

Goo Pehi Te Whare :bravo:

Also you would never guess Corey Flynn is maori..his mum is maori!!

So yes never judge a book by its cover.

Tony Brown is a former Maori/All black Player who looks more in his element with his new club in south Africa :lol:

1046_page_image.jpg

752038.jpg

a8cbdb3623670df0d389.jpeg

Tony_Brown.jpg

Can anyone imagine how confusing the discussion will become in another twenty years or so?

I'm sure they know who's from what bloodline, or whatever racial criteria you must fit to be a NZ Maori player. I'm happy that 9 times out of 10 they've done their homework.

I must say though, they are the finest segregated rugby team in the world! :bravo:

I think NZ Maori to win 26-17?

i dont know why people are using ***o as an example of someone thats not maori. yes he has red hair but ***O is a maori name???
to be included in the NZ Maori side you have to provide your Whakapapa which tracks you back to a maori ancestor. if you can do that then you can be included in the side.

i heard from the last coach Matt Te Pou on the radio and he said that Dan Carter was put forward by the NZRFU to play for the Maori's in the last 3-4 years but after he was checked by local Kaumatua he couldnt be traced back.

Paul ***o or Scott Linklader are prime examples of guys that look Pakeha(European) but have alot of Maori in them. theyre just more Pakeha than Maori i spose. then i use myself as an example, my surname is Davis, which is as bloody welsh as bread of heaven. yet if you took a look at me you could clearly see im Maori. brown skin, big nose etc....

unless your an expert in these players Whakapapa(geneoligy). i suggest you really dont know what your talking about....

Originally posted by shiznit@Jun 2 2006, 01:52 PM
Paul ***o or Scott Linklader are prime examples of guys that look Pakeha(European) but have alot of Maori in them. theyre just more Pakeha than Maori i spose. then i use myself as an example, my surname is Davis, which is as bloody welsh as bread of heaven. yet if you took a look at me you could clearly see im Maori. brown skin, big nose etc....
You wouldn't be from Kaphia would you?

Maori beat Waratahs in thriller
03 June 2006
By MARK GEENTY

A try in the dying minutes to replacement hooker Luke Mahoney sealed New Zealand Maori a gutsy 20-16 rugby win over the Waratahs on skating rink like Sydney Cricket Ground last night.

In an inspired move by Maori captain Jonno Gibbes, he passed up two penalty shots at goal for lineouts before Mahoney plunged over from a 10-man rolling maul for the clincher.

The three tries to one victory was a dream start for new coach Donny Stevenson whose team only assembled this week en route to the Churchill Cup in the United States and Canada, and last night fielded six newcomers in the starting lineup.

The prospect of an open, flowing game was ruined by heavy rain which hit Sydney several hours before the match and strengthened soon after kickoff, reducing the pristine turf to a slippery mess and ensuring the pitch covers remained until kickoff.

Back play was a non-event, the scrums a shambles as both packs struggled to keep their feet, and lineouts often a free-for-all as hookers and locks struggled to grasp what was like a cake of soap.

The Maori clearly had more support among the drenched crowd of 7800, and despite the conditions they busted the game open with a wonderfully constructed seven-pointer in the 10th minute.

Lock Ross Filipo's lineout win was driven 20m upfield, first five-eighth Callum Bruce popped a neat pass to his Otago team-mate Neil Brew who scythed between Daniel Halangahu and Morgan Turinui before offloading to debutant Pehi Te Whare who raced 25m to slide in between the posts.

Waratahs fullback Peter Hewat added penalties in the 13th and 20th minutes but badly hooked a third just before halftime to leave the Maori 7-6 ahead at the break.

Some magic from young pivot Daniel Halangahu saw the hosts seize the lead five minutes after halftime when he carved between Tanerau Latimer and Thomas Waldrom 35m out and sent centre Ben Jacobs away near the posts.

No 8 Waldrom turned hero two minutes later when he scored the Maori's second try after a Corey Jane flykick, the ball squirted free and Waldrom dived on it to score to make it 13-12 to the hosts.

The Maori tore into the hosts and deserved to regain the lead from a 40m penalty to Bruce, but ill discipline hurt them as lock Kristian Ormsby was sinbinned for dangerous rucking and Filipo was penalised for a late and high tackle.

Hewat goaled from the latter offence to make it 16-15 and set up a thrilling final 15 minutes.

NZ Maori 20 (Pehi Te Whare, Thomas Waldrom, Luke Mahoney tries; Callum Bruce pen, con) NSW Waratahs 16 (Ben Jacobs try; Peter Hewat 3 pen, con). Halftime: 7-6.

maori rugby

Glad the back up boys for NSW were able to fight this one to the end... The Maori's are no push over... Just ask the Lions!

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D

It's a shame it wasnt on tv :(, would have been a damn good game to watch!!

Originally posted by Ripper@Jun 3 2006, 01:44 PM
But the team that faced the Lions was full strength in every sense.
And so it bloody should have been! They were playing the Lions, this time they were playing a very Tahs outfit without any of it's big guns, so I'm glad they made a fight out of it!

Bahaha i laughed soo much at Pehi Te Whare on the news about the weather in sydney "its just like back in invercargill aye!!" bahaha, atleast we got on the news for something :p

Latest posts