NZ Injuries

Icemn

First XV
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Guys....

i'm slightly getting worried here.....over the past few weeks a lot of the keys All Black Players and possible WC players have received injuries....

some of the Guys being..Jane, Carter, Nonu, Toeava, Smith, Dagg, etc

that alone is an AB backline on its own....that might even win the Competition....

i know its still a long way to go but...it looks like the NZ players tend to get injured much more than the Aus and big physical SA players....

am i just being over concerned here or what?

Icemn

Nope, I'm very worried. Over the last two months we've seen Carter, McCaw, Toeava, Jane, Gear, Thorn, Whitelock, Eaton, Ali Williams, Nonu, Smith, Thompson, Slade, Cruden, Sivivatu, Maitland, Dagg, Muliaina, Donald, Ellis, Ben Franks, Weepu, Waldrom, McAlister miss (or will miss) games from injury, with some still out of action, and they're just the possible All Blacks. If it were up to me, I'd genuinly rest key players for 2/3 games. The injury list this Super 14 is crazy, and we don't want to be in a situation like we were in 2009, when we had to pick a very weak team due to injuries, especially in a World Cup.

Well its good news for other NZ players and other countries. I think the real issue here is whose injuries are major and whose are minor.

yes you guys are right......but my prob is why so many NZ players?????

i know its mostly due to the SA players being physical..but the Aus players doesn't seem to suffer so many injuries :?

there is still also the tri-nations :?

why did they decide to play a long super 15??? why not the normal super rugby of 1 leg....and then the players could rest for the tri nations or something :?

There has been an inordinate amount of injuries and particularly NZ has suffered the most the last month or so where I think it was SA and Aus who bore the brunt of it the first 4/5 weeks.

The question is as Sam has stated who of those players are likely to miss the RWC because of it? Honestly, who cares about the Super 15 and 3N in a world cup year? Well not me. If these injuries don't keep key player out then it might even end up being a blessing in disguise; these key players getting extended rest and then a few warm up matches might just be what NZ is looking for.

yes you guys are right......but my prob is why so many NZ players?????

i know its mostly due to the SA players being physical..but the Aus players doesn't seem to suffer so many injuries :?

there is still also the tri-nations :?

why did they decide to play a long super 15??? why not the normal super rugby of 1 leg....and then the players could rest for the tri nations or something :?
'

Money and the lack of an Aus domestic championship; with more S15 derbies making up for it.

It seems some people are already making up excuses. I know they have a lot of injuries but it's still more than 3 months before the teams even travel to NZ for the World Cup. I am sure a lot of people will be fit by then and I also think every country has problems with injuries. It's the SANZAR teams who have a massive depth of talent which just opens up opportunities for others.

It seems some people are already making up excuses. I know they have a lot of injuries but it's still more than 3 months before the teams even travel to NZ for the World Cup. I am sure a lot of people will be fit by then and I also think every country has problems with injuries. It's the SANZAR teams who have a massive depth of talent which just opens up opportunities for others.

I'm not sure how competitive Aus would be at a RWC with lots of injuries to key players. I'd say France for one has greater depth than Aus.

I'm not sure how competitive Aus would be at a RWC with lots of injuries to key players. I'd say France for one has greater depth than Aus.

Yeah the Aussies probably have the least depth in top flight rugby. 86000 registered players compared to South Africas 630000.

Hmm pretty sure it's an elaborate plan by the three wise men for players to get rested rather than using the terms "resting players" so media and the public don't get in a pansy ala the 07 rest and reconditioning.

Hmm pretty sure it's an elaborate plan by the three wise men for players to get rested rather than using the terms "resting players" so media and the public don't get in a pansy ala the 07 rest and reconditioning.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case for a small handful of the injured player; IE Carter could have started earlier but gets that 1/2 weeks extra off just in case. Not with those outside the core though LOL that'd really be pushing this particular theory. It certainly helps with keeping media hounds at bay and with the pressure.

Not all doom and gloom for the New Zealand players ... possible starters for the Hurricanes against the highlanders are Weepu, Nonu, and Smith ... the Crusaders have been saying that they expected Carter to play against the Cheetahs, and they may have to start him due to the number of injuries in their backs, McCaw - who knows, a possibility if his concussion is okay. The Blues may have Boric and McAlister back, but will be missing Kaino.

Even the serious injuries have the players back by the Super Rugby finals (if their teams make it) ... I've repeatedly said in threads about who should be in the AB squad etc, that injuries will be one of the main factors.

in the long run it could work well these players getting some extra "rest" but it most likely wont.

2009 was similar when all but 2 core all blacks from the dominant 2008 squad had a major injury problem during the super competition. The early tests against France and SA didn't go well because of that but once the players filtered back from injury the AB's became the dominant team in the world again.

IMO the important thing is that there is a good break between the super14 and the world cup and key players that are carrying injury need to be able to use this time to get 100% or as close as they can. The worry is that players could be brought back too early for super rugby and just do more harm. Some examples of that would Be Kaino & Boric who both look like they have been playing with injuries alot this season, Donald also looks like he's come back a week or two too early from his back injury and just hasn't been himself.

Even with these injuries we could still build a side that would be odds on to win the world cup e.g.

1, Crockett
2, mealamu
3, O Franks
4, Chris jack
5, Ali Williams
6, Liam Messam
7, Richie McCaw (current injury is minor)
8, Kieran Read
9, Jimmy Cowan
10, Dan Carter
11, Hosea Gear
12, SBW
13, Richard Kahui
14, Ben Smith
15, Mils

16, Hore/Hika 17, Afoa 18, Donnely 19, Matt Todd 20, Leonard/Mathewson 21, McAlister (current injury is minor) 22, Jared Payne/Robbie Fruen

The one key really is to cotton wool Dan carter. because with slade out, Donald carrying injury and McAlister not actually playing 10. I'm glad McCaw & carter didn't play that stormers game. Donald was clearly targeted for his injury in the sharks game when he copped a massive knee to the back and picked up a fracture and people have taked about Slade being targeted in the same way - copping a massive head clash to the jaw after just returning from a broken jaw it would be ignorant to completely disregard the chance of foul play. We really dont need Carter to be next.

Who is "making up excuses"???
All I have heard was people expressing concern at the number of injuries.

Sounds a bit like trolling there boet

Wouldn't worry so much. Most won't be out for w.c. anyway as long as you have mccaw and carter you've got enough depth everywhere else.

NZ Herald report that there are currently 42 New Zealand players in the casualty ward, although a number are due back, and the reported time that the players are out for, seems to be the time when they were first injured, not the time remaining until they take the field again.

The out for the season in some cases I think, refers to the Super season only, so they may be available for the tri-nations and World cup

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/super-15/news/article.cfm?c_id=331&objectid=10724616

Rugby: Casualty ward tally reaches 42

The number of New Zealand Super 15 players sitting on the sidelines continues to grow with 42 now taking up room in the casualty ward.

Despite holding the top two spots in the New Zealand conference the Blues and Crusaders have the most players sidelined with 10 each.

The Hurricanes and Highlanders currently each have eight players out of action while the Highlanders are missing six.

22 current or former All Blacks make up the list with captain Richie McCaw and star first five-eighth Dan Carter leading the big names off the field.

The Crusaders seem to be hit the hardest; currently without McCaw and Carter along with fellow All Blacks Israel Dagg, Andy Ellis, Ben Franks, Brad Thorn and Sam Whitelock.

However Hurricanes and Blues fans could argue the case that injuries have a larger effect on their side.

The 'Canes have been without four current All Blacks for most of the season with Cory Janes, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, and Piri Weepu missing from their backline.

Meanwhile the Blues have four players ruled out for the rest of the season including All Black utility back Isaia Toeava who is out with a hip injury.

They are also without Tony Woodcock and Daniel Braid who are vital members to their forward pack.

CASUALTY WARD

Blues
Daniel Braid (Neck) • 8 weeks out
Charlie Faumuina (Hamstring) • 6 weeks
Kurtis Haiu Bone (Cancer) • Season
Jerome Kaino (Hamstring) • 1 week
Mat Luamanu (Hamstring) • 4 weeks
Brad Mika (Knee) • Season
Liaki Moli (Foot) • Season
Winston Stanley (Concussion) • 3 weeks
Isaia Toeava (Hip) • Season
Tony Woodcock (Foot) • 4 weeks

Chiefs
Colin Bourke (Knee) • Season
Tanerau Latimer (Concussion) • 3 weeks
Hayden Triggs (Back) • 2 weeks
Tana Umaga (Calf) • 3 weeks
Scott Waldrom (Shoulder) • Season
Nathan White (Back) • 1 week

Hurricanes
Karl Lowe (Knee) • 12 weeks
Serge Lilo (Knee/ankle) • 6 weeks
Cory Jane (Hamstring) • 4 weeks
Charlie Ngatai (Ankle) • Season
Ma'a Nonu (Eye socket) • 2 weeks
Conrad Smith (Nose) • 5 weeks
Rodney So'oialo (Back) • 10 weeks
Piri Weepu (Ankle) • 12 weeks

Crusaders
Daniel Carter (Hamstring) • 5 weeks
Israel Dagg (Thigh) • 4 weeks
Andy Ellis (Thumb) • 7 weeks
Kahn Fotuali'i (Knee) • 4 weeks
Ben Franks (Back) • 4 weeks
Sean Maitland (Knee) • 4 weeks
Richie McCaw (Concussion) • 1 week
Brad Thorn (Hamstring) • 3 weeks
Adam Whitelock (Chest) • 4 weeks
Sam Whitelock (Ankle) • 9 weeks

Highlanders
Kurt Baker (Back) • 12 weeks
Tony Brown (Hamstring) • 4 weeks
James Peterson (Chest) • Season
Siale Piutau (Groin) • Season
Colin Slade (Jaw) • 8 weeks
Adam Thomson (Rib) • 4 weeks
Kade Poki (Knee) • 2 weeks
Shaun Treeby (Knee) • 5 weeks

- HERALD ONLINE

NZ Herald report that there are currently 42 New Zealand players in the casualty ward, although a number are due back, and the reported time that the players are out for, seems to be the time when they were first injured, not the time remaining until they take the field again.

The out for the season in some cases I think, refers to the Super season only, so they may be available for the tri-nations and World cup

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/super-15/news/article.cfm?c_id=331&objectid=10724616

Rugby: Casualty ward tally reaches 42

The number of New Zealand Super 15 players sitting on the sidelines continues to grow with 42 now taking up room in the casualty ward.

Despite holding the top two spots in the New Zealand conference the Blues and Crusaders have the most players sidelined with 10 each.

The Hurricanes and Highlanders currently each have eight players out of action while the Highlanders are missing six.

22 current or former All Blacks make up the list with captain Richie McCaw and star first five-eighth Dan Carter leading the big names off the field.

The Crusaders seem to be hit the hardest; currently without McCaw and Carter along with fellow All Blacks Israel Dagg, Andy Ellis, Ben Franks, Brad Thorn and Sam Whitelock.

However Hurricanes and Blues fans could argue the case that injuries have a larger effect on their side.

The 'Canes have been without four current All Blacks for most of the season with Cory Janes, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, and Piri Weepu missing from their backline.

Meanwhile the Blues have four players ruled out for the rest of the season including All Black utility back Isaia Toeava who is out with a hip injury.

They are also without Tony Woodcock and Daniel Braid who are vital members to their forward pack.

CASUALTY WARD

Blues
Daniel Braid (Neck) • 8 weeks out
Charlie Faumuina (Hamstring) • 6 weeks
Kurtis Haiu Bone (Cancer) • Season
Jerome Kaino (Hamstring) • 1 week
Mat Luamanu (Hamstring) • 4 weeks
Brad Mika (Knee) • Season
Liaki Moli (Foot) • Season
Winston Stanley (Concussion) • 3 weeks
Isaia Toeava (Hip) • Season
Tony Woodcock (Foot) • 4 weeks

Chiefs
Colin Bourke (Knee) • Season
Tanerau Latimer (Concussion) • 3 weeks
Hayden Triggs (Back) • 2 weeks
Tana Umaga (Calf) • 3 weeks
Scott Waldrom (Shoulder) • Season
Nathan White (Back) • 1 week

Hurricanes
Karl Lowe (Knee) • 12 weeks
Serge Lilo (Knee/ankle) • 6 weeks
Cory Jane (Hamstring) • 4 weeks
Charlie Ngatai (Ankle) • Season
Ma'a Nonu (Eye socket) • 2 weeks
Conrad Smith (Nose) • 5 weeks
Rodney So'oialo (Back) • 10 weeks
Piri Weepu (Ankle) • 12 weeks

Crusaders
Daniel Carter (Hamstring) • 5 weeks
Israel Dagg (Thigh) • 4 weeks
Andy Ellis (Thumb) • 7 weeks
Kahn Fotuali'i (Knee) • 4 weeks
Ben Franks (Back) • 4 weeks
Sean Maitland (Knee) • 4 weeks
Richie McCaw (Concussion) • 1 week
Brad Thorn (Hamstring) • 3 weeks
Adam Whitelock (Chest) • 4 weeks
Sam Whitelock (Ankle) • 9 weeks

Highlanders
Kurt Baker (Back) • 12 weeks
Tony Brown (Hamstring) • 4 weeks
James Peterson (Chest) • Season
Siale Piutau (Groin) • Season
Colin Slade (Jaw) • 8 weeks
Adam Thomson (Rib) • 4 weeks
Kade Poki (Knee) • 2 weeks
Shaun Treeby (Knee) • 5 weeks

- HERALD ONLINE

Tony Brown's injury is really a huge surprise.

Now, seriously, I think that what some people said above in a "conspiracy" tone is what is being done openly: they are being more demanding with the "match fit" status with some players.

In France we keep losing players because the clubs don't care about the Equipe de France and vice versa, so players' recoveries are rushed and they get injured again more easily. That, and they play a sick amount of games in a season.

PS: a XV of 1. Woodcock, 2. (someone, probably some of the players I don't know up there is a test-level hooker) 3. Franks, 4. Thorn, 5. Whitelock, 6. Kaino, 7. McCaw and 8. So'oialo and the backline mentiones before sounds like a sick side.

Last edited:
Not all doom and gloom for the New Zealand players ... possible starters for the Hurricanes against the highlanders are Weepu, Nonu, and Smith ... the Crusaders have been saying that they expected Carter to play against the Cheetahs, and they may have to start him due to the number of injuries in their backs, McCaw - who knows, a possibility if his concussion is okay. The Blues may have Boric and McAlister back, but will be missing Kaino.

Even the serious injuries have the players back by the Super Rugby finals (if their teams make it) ... I've repeatedly said in threads about who should be in the AB squad etc, that injuries will be one of the main factors.

you guys have me all wrong.....some guys say it better to have injuries now than later....

my prob is its 12 weeks into rugby and look at all the injuries...what if the Tri-nations come and there a huge injuries ruling players out of the WC......

well i guess, **** happens....

you guys have me all wrong.....some guys say it better to have injuries now than later....

my prob is its 12 weeks into rugby and look at all the injuries...what if the Tri-nations come and there a huge injuries ruling players out of the WC......

well i guess, **** happens....

Yeah, i'm not saying that it's not bad - I was just trying to put some kind of silver lining on it I guess

... I guess the various Super franchises are being responsible at least, and not rushing players back too early - my main concerns are if the injuries will reoccur when the players finally come back, and if they have enough time to play themselves into form

Latest posts