• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

obstruction rule in the nrl

E

esoj

today I saw the most farcial thing I have seen in awhile. a beautiful run around play for a try was pulled back for obstruction.

warriors v rabbitohs.

fien does a beautiful run around with price with a decoy runner. defence make a terrible read and tackles the decoy runner while price offload to fien in a perfect run around play for a try. try gets pulled back for obstruction. there was no way the players would have goten to fien and price did nothing wrong either. the defence because they made contact with the decoy runner rapira were rewarded for a bad read and given the penalty.

this is a disgrace in the game of league. bad reads on defence should not be rewarded simply because the defence touches the decoy runner. no longer can a team do a run around or decoy runners come even near the defensive line without it being called for obstruction. this is most disappointing.

what does everyone else think about this ?

I think it's only obstruction if a decoy takes a player out who could've tackled the other player.

We won't have to worry about this much longer. The rule is tipped to be overhauled as early as this weekend.

its bloody rediculous bringing the game into disrepute

great decoy running getting pinned for nothing

revert back to last year, unless the player taken out has a legitmate chance to tackle, let it go

i saw about 6 on the weekend, the player taken out was miles away as a pass or 2 was thrown to the outside, deeming the player taken out too far from the actual try scorer

the warriors one was insane - bad call
then the ***ans copped it with the preston try

It is a common tactic in league and rugby where the decoy runners don't obviously take out the defenders.....instead they do it in a subtle way by moving onto the outside area of a defender. The whole idea of this is to try and prevent the defence shifting out.

It only takes ONE defender to NOT shift out to stuff up a line. When a defensive line does not shift out TOGETHER then the playres on the outside will either hold their ground....or worse...come back in.

I think the Warriors having their tries disallowed was fair.

The AB's had this problem in the '99 RWC match against England. From then on they had to rethink the way they were running.

I think the rule change should be:

Dummy runners have to slow down enough to avoid any contact by not running too far past the passer. If they come into the defensive line after overunning the passer they are to be penalised.
Defending players cannot claim obstruction if they move past the ball carrier in an effort to take out the intended reciever.

the new strict rulings has been overturned

i agree with you with Rugby GG

but in league its never as stringent until this year and now its back to the ole

decoy me up scottie

half the time if a decoy runner doesnt change his direction and hits a defender - the defender has bought the decoy - thats not attacks fault its a poor read on defense

flip the coin for a minute - under the new ruling, defenders could milk the obstruction - they see someone running straight, they stay still, and dont care about where the ball is....decoy runs thru, hits the defender that never cared where the ball was - only cared about this decoy, just stay still get hit and its a no try - u cant open up new avenues for milking in league

the warriors rulings were shocking

wiki ran the inside the ball went outside

the defense that had wiki covered were never defending the try scorer - they were wiki's men, and they stuck with him, and by no means had a chance shift outside - they had men outside anyways, and they let the try in - potentially to milk this farce of a rule

It's just been announced on the news. The rule has been scrapped and has been changed back to what it was last season, effective immediately.

yeah ak just said that. kinda

but yeah i thought the tries that the warriors were disallowed were shockers, they should have been tries. it was so bad i turned it off with 10 mintues to go the game was so bad. (turned over to the eels that was worse :( ) i missed the best part though.

oh well it will go back to normal this weekend :)

yeah ak just said that. kinda

but yeah i thought the tries that the warriors were disallowed were shockers, they should have been tries. it was so bad i turned it off with 10 mintues to go the game was so bad. (turned over to the eels that was worse :( ) i missed the best part though.

oh well it will go back to normal this weekend :) [/b]
Oh **** lol didn't realise...my bad for being ignorant.

I turned the Broncos match off in the 2nd minute when Ryan Hoffman scored the Storm's 1st try of the night lol.

Latest posts