• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Oceania Cup

W

Wally

I didn't see the game but it must have been interesting. Australia beat Tahiti 24-14.

Originally posted by Wally@Jun 1 2004, 08:59 PM
I didn't see the game but it must have been interesting. Australia beat Tahiti 24-14.
wtf they beat tahiti 9-0 and tonga aint in it, they beat fiji 6-1

if thats what you mean...

New Zealand 10 Tahiti 0
VAUGHAN COVENY and Brent Fisher both scored hat-tricks as New Zealand cantered to an important win over Tahiti in their OFC Nations Cup match at Adelaide's Marden Sport Complex today.

Too bad they were beaten by Vanuatu.. New Zealand will have to beat Fiji and rely on other results to come second and progress to the next stage.

It's quite shocking. Australia has more soccer players then Vanuatu has people, which ofcourse is not that much at all!

Australia 3 Vanuatu 0
SOCCEROOS striker John Aloisi scored a double as Australia overcame a valiant Vanuatu for a hard-fought victory in their OFC Nations Cup soccer match at Adelaide's Hindmarsh Stadium tonight.

The win, Australia's fourth from four matches in the tournament, ensured the Socceroos will finish in top place and progress to the next stage of World Cup qualifying, a two-leg home and away play-off against this event's second-placed side.

But the Socceroos' opponent for that series is still to be determined, with New Zealand needing to beat Fiji on Sunday and have the Solomon Islands lose to Australia to overtake the Solomons in second place.

NZ today beat Tahiti 10-0 to keep their chances alive, before the Solomons beat Fiji 2-1 to stay ahead of the Kiwis on the table.

Australia had plenty of trouble breaking down the Vanuatu defence tonight, with goalkeeper David Chilia performing bravely and at times brilliantly to hold out a barrage of early Australian attacking moves.

He parried away four fierce shots in the opening 10 minutes, and in the 14th minute he made a sensational move to charge towards an approaching Aloisi and make a diving reflex save.

Chilia also did well to punch away a Brett Emerton corner kick into the box minutes later.

But the sustained Socceroos pressure eventually paid off, with Aloisi opening the scoring in the 25th minute.

He knocked in a header, after a Vanuatu defender cleared a shot by Socceroos captain Tony Vidmar off the line.

Leading 1-0 at halftime, it still took Australia a long time to put the game beyond doubt.

Chilia made another superb diving save from an Aloisi shot two minutes into the second half and a Josip Skoko free kick struck the crossbar in the 60th minute.

An Ahmad Elrich shot from the edge of the box was cleared off the line by a defender 10 minutes later, after Chilia had come out of position to punch away a dangerous cross.

Midfielder Brett Emerton sealed the win in the 81st minute, but only after he had a thumping shot saved by Chilia, with the rebound going straight back to Emerton, and he pounded the ball back into the net, before raising his arms in relief at finally getting past the keeper.

With the Vanuatu resistance broken, Aloisi made more simple work of his second goal, Australia's third, three minutes later.

Chilia was involved in a collision with Aloisi after the goal, forcing him to be stretchered off the ground, with the crowd of about 5000 providing him with a rousing and richly deserved ovation.

Socceroos coach Frank Farina said his side had played well, but as in some previous games had struggled to finish off with goals. "I thought we dominated the game from start to finish. It was a bit scrappy, but we created a number of chances and dominated the game more so than any other game we've played in this tournament," Farina said.

"We struggled to find the back of the net, but we played some good stuff and it took us longer than what we would have expected to find that second goal."

He said much of the credit for the struggle to score belonged to Chilia.

"He kept them in the game. I think he made some great saves," he said.

"You could argue that it was some poor finishing, but I give some credit to the goalkeeper, I think he played well."

Australia 3 (John Aloisi 25, 84 Brett Emerton 81) Vanuatu 0

New Zealand 10 (Vaughan Coveny 7, 38, 45, Brent Fisher 16, 22, 63 Neil Jones 73, 88 Duncan Oughton 75, Ryan Nelsen 83) Tahiti 0

Solomon Islands 2 (Paul Kakai 16, Mahlon Houkarawa 83) Fiji 1 (Seveci Rokotakala 42)

Australia 4 4 0 0 19 1 12
Solomon Islands 4 3 0 1 7 4 9
New Zealand 4 2 0 2 15 5 6
Fiji 4 1 1 2 3 8 4
Vanuatu 4 1 0 3 4 7 3
Tahiti 4 0 1 3 0 23 1

Australia 2 Solomon Islands 2
SOLOMON ISLANDS striker Commins Menapi humiliated Australia with two goals to earn the Melanesian minnows a draw which cost New Zealand a World Cup qualification playoff berth.

The result means Australia will now face the Solomons, ranked 154th in the world, in a two-legged World Cup playoff in September 2005.

The winner of that will play the fifth-ranked South American side for a place at Germany 2006.

Australian coach Frank Farina expressed contempt earlier last week for the notion that the Socceroos could lie down in this match to let the Solomons through and avoid more dangerous playoff against NZ.

While Australia didn't throw the match, Farina did pick a very inexperienced starting line-up.

New Zealanders will see the result as akin to cricket's under-arm bowling incident but the All Whites have only themselves to blame for the situation after losing 4-2 to Vanuatu.

Vanuatu finished last in the six-team tournament

You don't care that New Zealand seems to be hapless at every thing else other than rugby?

i dont really care either, i follow other football sides because soccer in this country is for mama's boys.
wally you have to realise that we have less people in our country then there is in sydney so we really dont care how good the other sports go.
it wont matter anyway, aussie wont quallify. they never do.
we just follow the sports that were good at.
mostly rugby union and sailing.

Originally posted by Wally@Jun 8 2004, 09:59 PM
You don't care that New Zealand seems to be hapless at every thing else other than rugby?
lol.

if your a nitpicker then we WON the netball *cough* lol
thats a pretty false statement.

lets list the things that aussie are good at...

hmmm not too much better than NZ, not counting medal tallies at the olympics

What are you serious man (umosay)? Australia dominates your arse in nearly all team sports (one or two games doesn't mean ****). And there's no contest when it comes to indivual things like the Olympics.. I'm not trying to say your not good at sport or anything, you have a tiny population (even compared to us). I was just trying to annoy Ripper for ruining my post.

Originally posted by Wally@Jun 8 2004, 09:59 PM
Oh, silly me, I forgot the Socceroo's in all there unbeatable glory

if you look at nz's main sports v aus

rugby - even or prob better
league - well behind but understandable with one club.
cricket - ability to win but rarely do, apart from vb 2001
soccer - aus have slight edge
netball - even

bowls - nz by a thoussssssand, Lol
<

actually i think its more...

Rugby: were probably abit better
League: Aussie are Miiiiles better
Soccer: Again, Aussie are Miiiiles better
Cricket: Same As Above
Netball: Were Better
Bowls: WHO THE f*** CARES??????