O'Driscoll off to France???

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by An Tarbh, Sep 20, 2005.

1. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

Heard on the radio this morning that O'Driscoll was at the Biarritz match at the weekend, kind of like a pre meet and greet before signing any possible contract. He was also photographed with Biarritz captain Thomas Lièvremont.

Bit of a dangerous game to be playing in my opinion, he'd be the best paid player in the IRFU, his tax benefits would negate a move to the Premiership not sure what the situation regarding tax benefits for pro sportsmen in France is but if it's not as good then he'd be better off staying in Ireland.

I don't believe for a second when I hear him say that he wouldn't go for the money, he certainly knows which side his bread is buttered on when it comes to flashing euro signs.

He's out of contract at the end of June, so negotiations should begin fairly soon. The IRFU should get the lead out and start the negotiations while he's still injured. No point in a repeat off the farce that saw Byrne pushed off to Saracens.

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. DonBilly

DonBilly Guest

BOD was at Biarritz because he's resting and healing in the Serge Blanco's Thalassotherapy center.

Sportmen have no special fiscal gift in France. They get some additional money from their image rigths. This is exempted of welfare but not of income taxes.

4. getofmeland

getofmeland Guest

This is the latest from the BBC on the saga
    BBC BOD Saga

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

5. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

If he wants a fresh challenge he should do a bit of charity work.

6. good luck to him. i reckon he's better of at biarritz than at leinster. Otherwise the greates centre ireland has ever seen will finish his career having won nothing other than a triple crown.

7. DonBilly

DonBilly Guest

If he eventually joins a French side I think he will receive a big support from the French public whatever club he plays for.

At the moment I am a bit dubious about all this buzz around this hypothetical move to France. From a financial point of view I think that moving to London Wasps for example would be more profitable.

Let's wait and see.

8. Screw that...if he wants to play in his native green every week then there is only one club in England he should join. [​IMG]

And it's not London Irish. [​IMG]

9. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

The pace seems to be gathering with this story, firstly Biarritz claim they have been in contract talks with Brian O'Driscoll, thought they'd have to negotiate with the IRFU and not the player himself. And now O'Driscoll has denied the claims saying he's a leinster player for the foreseeable future, or maybe till June at least.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!