• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Official Pro Evolution Soccer 4 Thread

WOW. Got the game on Friday. And this is the first time i've used my internet connection since I got it! Yes. It's brilliant.!

I just can't believe that i wasted £37.99 on a load of rubbish!!

The goal keepers never seem to dive, Every shot u see has no power, All those videos i watched of fantastic goals & tricks are false, the ball is like a ballon (its seems to float away)

I will just have to go back to the greatest game ever pro evo 2 (imho)

man i am still waiting

aus/nz release is this friday

for some reason we get jipped with worldwide releases

every game, or atleast my last 4 have been delayed

australias distribution has got to be the worst going around

cant believe it happened to this game of all games

pricks!!!

Originally posted by gjohn85@Oct 20 2004, 10:51 AM
I just can't believe that i wasted £37.99 on a load of rubbish!!

The goal keepers never seem to dive, Every shot u see has no power, All those videos i watched of fantastic goals & tricks are false, the ball is like a ballon (its seems to float away)

I will just have to go back to the greatest game ever pro evo 2 (imho)
This has been a common cry from around 5%-10% of PES4 players.........

Give it more time, it apparently can not be played like previous versions, but once you make the playing adjustment it can't be beat.........

Sort of like the jump from the PS1 version to PES1 on PS2- everybody complained for the first few weeks until finally people started to see the light.........

Originally posted by ak47@Oct 20 2004, 02:16 PM
man i am still waiting

aus/nz release is this friday

for some reason we get jipped with worldwide releases

every game, or atleast my last 4 have been delayed

australias distribution has got to be the worst going around

cant believe it happened to this game of all games

pricks!!!
GAMEPLANET have it NOW!!!!!!!!!!

Dude it nothing to get excited about!!

U may aswell give me ur money, coz ur not missing alot!

Originally posted by gjohn85@Oct 20 2004, 07:18 PM
Dude it nothing to get excited about!!

U may aswell give me ur money, coz ur not missing alot!
Couldn't disagree with you anymore if I tried. NZLFan, you'll love it mate.

Had a game today at lunch today, the first time I've tried it, and had to admit I wasn't actually that impressed, not as much as I expected to be. The graphics have improved a bit, and there is more general detail, but the ball did feel a little bit too light for my liking. However, I only played one game, so its will obviously get better the more you play it, and I will still get it when it is released on PC.

But on PES3 the ball didn't come down quickly enough - meaning that a crossfield ball was rendered totally ineffective because you got closed down. The great thing about the PES series is that the changes made are always subtle and demure, nothing radical - the changes to the ball physics are superb and makes the game more realistic than ever.

Well I'm sure I'll get used to the changes once I play the game more.

Lets face it though, the important thing is that it still ****** all over FIFA.

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Oct 20 2004, 03:22 PM

Yes you will. I was initially very hostile to PES3 because it seemed to be TOO different but when you get fully used to it you'll appreciate its genius.

As for ******* all over FIFA.... It pains me to say this, but does it??? FIFA has taken great strides this time I played it in the pub this dinnertime and I have to say I was very impressed indeed.

GJohn. This game is obscenely good.

The shot power is way different to PES3, all you need to do is hold it down for longer. I can hit screamers fairly easily now.

The passing systm is to drool over. YOu can play one touch football which is simply beautiful with all the new flicks and tricks available. Then one through ball, or a drop of a shoulder and you are in. Brilliant!

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Oct 20 2004, 03:24 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 20 2004, 03:24 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SaintsFan_Webby
@Oct 20 2004, 03:22 PM

Yes you will. I was initially very hostile to PES3 because it seemed to be TOO different but when you get fully used to it you'll appreciate its genius.

As for ******* all over FIFA.... It pains me to say this, but does it??? FIFA has taken great strides this time I played it in the pub this dinnertime and I have to say I was very impressed indeed. [/b]
FIFA really grates with me, I don't get on with it at all. To be perfectly honest I would rather play my old copy of ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 2 than go out and buy FIFA 2005. Just my opinion.

I was really adiment that i would play pro evo 4 to death, due to the fact that everyone loved pro evo 3. But these last 2 games just doesn't appeal to me!

If any of you guys still got pro evo 2, have a go on it 2 player. You may find it much better & more exciting!

With found pro evo 4, I found it was too easy to score (2 player) & the same shots, with pro evo 2, I had a 5-0 one game & the next few games are 0-0. I find pro evo 2 very exciting, but pro evo 4 is too acrady and unrealistic and shooting to hard to get them on target!!

I've still play pro evo 2 to death & I always score new goals!

This is just my honest opininon & I know everyone will disagree!!

I got my copy yesterday

I played till 3am, and did my first master league season 3 stars
i won the Div 2 cup, but came 5th in the league

I agree i was very disapointed when i first played the game

But like every pro evo game - u hate it at first, and after the learning curve of the new gameplay tweaks, u cream ur pants

At the end of the night, my passages got alot better, and this game now does play like a real life footy game

No more, running and sprinting, and shooting

its all about timing ur passes, and fluid phasis of teamwork

Slowly but surely, the gameplay is coming to me, and i can see the future is brighter than any other pro evo series.

Its also ALOT harder to avoid game over in master league, if u start on 3 stars.
I was on the verge of game over, until my success in the D2 cup, where alot of funds were made.

Cant wait to finish work and smash it some more

Pretty much the same to report from me..........

Finding it harder to like initially, but slowly coming around to it as I work out how the game now plays.

However it does play WAY differently in both 50hz and 60hz modes.

Heres what I have worked out.

50hz: Game appears slightly faster on this mode. Players turn (like they are on acid - quite awful) and sometimes run in a "sped up" way (that sort of makes me cringe just looking at it). NO or very, very little slowdown.

60hz: How I think the game was designed to play. Player turning and running animations are smooth (not like 50hz), play seems to flow better.
However SLOWDOWN is very noticeable whenever the box is crowded (especially on corners), and is more noticable at certain stadiums (ie. Amsterdam arena), and on the closer cameras. This is bad news for me because I like to play on the middle/standard camera on 60hz, but the slowdown is so bad that it really isn't very enjoyable. Slowdown can be a little reduced if you switch off most of the on screen information (score, player names, attacking/defending bar etc)........

For a company like Konami slowdown like this is unacceptable - especially as it was present in WE8. I presume they didn't fix it because then they would have had to delay release - thus giving FIFA a free reign for sales.

The style of play is completely different to PES3. No more free runs down the wings everytime, and no more "going back and forward in front of the box waiting for a diagional shot for a certain goal" either.

Ball control is harder. It doesn't seem to stick a little, like earlier versions. Undecided if I like this yet - you'd expect most professional players to have better control then that displayed in this game - and sometimes it becomes a chore having to chase every single loose ball that occurs.

Passing is crisper (especially one touch stuff), first touch shooting and through balls are ultra effective now.

Goalies have improved - however I have to agree with lots of people that the amount of times they don't attempt to move to cover shots is a little unrealistic (scored a heap of goals where the goalie hasn't bothered to move.

Shooting is made harder as you generally need to give yourself more time on the ball before unleashing a decent shot. Initailly my long range shots were "ballooning" over the crossbar, but now, with the use of the R1, and R2 buttons, I am starting to score some long range screamers.

I'm playing it all weekend so will be in a better position to judge in a couple of days time. Funny enough I found the game easier on 4-5 stars then 3 stars. I think this is because the AI of ALL players is increased on the higher levels. On 3 stars I had many of my teammates not react to play around them, especially when defending (ie.cutting out easy through balls, going after the nearest attacking player) - almost felt like they needed a "kick up the ass" to get them moving. Also in PES3 in defense you could allow a long ball to "bounce past you", so that you could then play it safely to your keeper. In PES4 I have tried to do this but the defender always seems to play at the ball, regardless if you push any buttons???

NZL - what does the R1 and R2 buttons do when shooting?? to get these long range screamers

my shooting is diabolical - cant get hang of it..........u nearly have to hold down shoot almost twice as long as pes3.........i keep shooting these little grubbers, with no power due to the shooting power up speed in pes3 being twice as quick as pes4.

i havent tried anything in 60hz coz i am avoiding the slowdown, however ur comments on turning animations etc, intrigue me to have a quick look to see, coz if they are alot better it might offset the slowdown

This game is quiet a task to get the hang of, but everygame that goes by looks more like the real thing (as i get used to the controls).

Headers are somehwat harder bigtime too............for some reason they always go over the crossbar.

I am the crossing king in pes3, where i would say 50% of my goals were headers, and in 2 players i was banned for enforcing he cross into the box
But in pes4, i have tried over 100 headers, and only 4 have stayed below the crossbar, even when wide open.

How do they work out the WEFA ranking?? - I am ahving a better 2nd season than the first, but am going backwards, and teams coming 4th and 5th in division 2, are like 20 spots above me in the WEFA rankings.

They have also eliminated the superman team.

A created player with 99 everything costs 5000 per year, in which unless in division 1 u get 5 times the pts than in division 2, u will only be able to fit 3 max and be able to pay for them at the end of the year

When i opened the game 5/10
After my first season 6/10
Thru my 2nd season 8/10
Its growing on me...........this is a good thing, coz by the time i have trashed it for hours on end, (thus far 20 hours), i will be at the peak of my excitement with this game, if ur loving a game more an more after 20, 40, 60 hours.......when most games occupy the average person by 20 hours max, this just emphasises the GREATNESS KONAMI AND PES4 bring to our TV sets.

Shooting with th R1 bottom held down at the same time as square seems to keep the ball a lot flatter (rather then "balooning')...........

Shooting with th R2 bottom held down at the same time as square sometimes (still working on it) makes the shooter jump with both legs off the ground - thus with heaps of power.........need space though.........

First time shots are class - time them right and you will get a powerful shot with little holding down of the square button.

Headers are heaps harder in this version - timing and delivery have to be perfect.

Originally posted by NZL fan@Oct 22 2004, 03:09 PM
Shooting with th R1 bottom held down at the same time as square seems to keep the ball a lot flatter (rather then "balooning')...........

Shooting with th R2 bottom held down at the same time as square sometimes (still working on it) makes the shooter jump with both legs off the ground - thus with heaps of power.........need space though.........

First time shots are class - time them right and you will get a powerful shot with little holding down of the square button.

Headers are heaps harder in this version - timing and delivery have to be perfect.
yeah man

the one timer shots are awesome

just a blurr across the screen

its so sweet, how an AI dude, runs into a gap
throw in a pass
ball goes perfectly between ur teamate and the keeper
keepers in no mans land
one time it, and bang GOAL
the way the AI dudes operate around the guy with the ball is just REAL LIFE

will try those R1 and R2 shots tonite
it seems there's more to the book than it says, even tho the book is as big as maddens last 5 instuction books combined.

Cant stand getting good sports games with a 10 page instruction book
I knew i was in for a good read when i lifted the game off the counter, and felt the cover weighing like a gold bullion...........and just as valuable to boot.

Originally posted by ak47@Oct 22 2004, 02:59 AM
Headers are somehwat harder bigtime too............for some reason they always go over the crossbar.
You're damn right they are! Not even been close to scoring a header!

Latest posts