• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Official Pro Evolution Soccer 4 Thread

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Oct 23 2004, 01:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Oct 23 2004, 01:31 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Oct 22 2004, 02:59 AM

Headers are somehwat harder bigtime too............for some reason they always go over the crossbar.
You're damn right they are! Not even been close to scoring a header! [/b]
It appears you get one shot at the header when the cross comes in (in PES3 you could hit the square button multiple times and still get it right).......

Positioning is all important, I think using the R2 button whilst jostling for position helps.........

go and unlock all the historical teams in the pes shop

you'll get the players as 17rd olds in the following offseason

I got Maradona for approx 1100 per year with NO trf fee

And got Zola for approx 700 with a small trf fee.

My frontline will be impecable next season

I just won my first D1 league on 3 stars
Am going to 4 stars with a revamped squad.......all improved
I lost the D1 cup in the final and that ****** me off
But heck this game keeps getting better
Got any youngster suggestions??

I have found a few good bargains for young players
Cesc
Dagaka
Wright-Phillips
Dribrel Cisse - (he's 24, but f^ck he's is a good striker)

Playing 5 stars, and loving it........

Master league is great, got promoted using Middlesbrough, and also took out the division 2 cup.

The game is more like PES2 then PES3, with greater emphasis on attacking play, through balls are more effective now, and the midfield is pretty much "bypassed" as play goes from one end to the other in quick succession.

Only the odd annoyance, has anybody had the following.........

1. Defenders not defending??? In previous versions you could rely a little bit on your computer teammates doing their bit, but in this version you have to take control of every defending situation, otherwise you start leaking shots on goal....Especially bad when you change players - the player you previously had control off then takes a few precious moments to actually start doing anything again.

2. Goalkeepers doing the same. Balls going within a few yards of them and the computer goalie doesn't clean these up and an opposition forward (who is at least three times further away) getting to the loose ball first. The odd soft goal where the goalie stays totally still whilst the ball goes into the inside of goal.

3. Good players loosing control of the ball (especially on receiving a pass whilst running), not just a little, but with the ball moving a good 4-6mtrs away from the players feet???????

4. Computer cheating. You've just got the lead, they get in a position to cross into the box, and then their striker makes an impossible header into the net. You check the replay and on slow mo can still not work out how your 4 defenders failed to get the clearance header in first??

Have found that this version has easier settings then the last one. Playing three stars the opposition hardly get a chance on goal, and it is usually poor finishing when they do - they still defend relatively well though. Four stars is more like three on PES3, 5 stars like 4 on PES3, and 6 like 5 stars on PES3.

1. YES - AI Defenders are crap........I thik Konmai have put more emphasis on controlling a player and defending urself, as opposed to double teaming and letting it defend for you easily
2. YES - Goalkeeper errors abundant.......... again I think Konami have tried to elimintate the AI goal keeping, and if u use triangle, more often than not, this issue can be eliminated.....got to be quick tho.
3. YES - I do notice this only happens for exceptionally fast passes, and high pressure from defense. If he got space around him, this very rarely happens unless the pass isnt great.
4. YES - THE CPU AI rort is back and bigger than ever..........the old PES games always had the CPU firing on all cylinders for the last 10 minutes of a match when they were losing a match to level it up or pinch a win........PES4 has all this but 3 times the impact....There's no reason for this, but to keep the Human on his toes for 90 minutes.

I agree with the gripes but for most of them i think a reasonable explanantion is there to counter these issues, which inturn create a more SIMULATED game.
IRL, keepers make errors, and in video games keepers were 99% CPU controlled, but not anymore, thanks to PES4.

I am still yet to say this is more FUN than PES3, but its is twice the SIMULATION.

I am now on 6 stars -
Last season on 4 stars won WEFA Champs and D1 Cup.

Its a really great game..........just some odds and ends ramblings.......

Once you work out how the game operates the goal scoring opprotunities increase, and defending improves.......

On defense you really have to be more aware of players off the ball and mark them out, as well as hold up the player with the ball. In the past you would rush out to dispossess the player with the ball, but too often now that doesn't work, leaving a hole for the opposition to exploit.

On attack I find I finish a lot different. In situations I would normally shoot from in the past I am finding myself holding the ball up for a short ball to a supporting player, who tends to have an easier shot at goal. The ability to pass successfully within the oppositions box in this version is way better then anything before.

My "bring back the effective through ball" campaign (especially the overhead one) must have worked cause they are killer now.

The "double tap circle" cross is way quicker now, and the best way to increase your header goal rate.

Originally posted by NZL fan@Oct 31 2004, 07:30 PM
The "double tap circle" cross is way quicker now, and the best way to increase your header goal rate.
I'm still very ineffective at heading though my gameplay has suffered recently due to San Andreas....

Can anyone confirm this

Is it true its harder on 5 stars than 6 stars.

coz i jumped from 4 to 6, in pes4, and i reckon 6 isnt as tuff as the old 5 star in pes3.

this is a rumour i have heard from a few people

If it is harder on 6 I havn't noticed it...........

A lot of people have said that the "reborn" players in master league is crap, but i love it!! Makes you really think ahead when buying in players, as you need a good mix of established players/ up and coming players to be effective.

Like AK47 I was able to buy a "reborn" Zola as a seventeen year old, and he's already extremely good. Add to the fact that his progression chart stays very high until his mid thirties and you've got a world class player for at least 12-15 years!!!

Developing unknown youngsters is also pretty exciting. I have deliberately not unlocked the retired players, as I don't want them in my master league.

I've also found I am scoring more headers by crossing at different times then I would have normally crossed in PES3 (if that makes sense). Thus when in PES3 I would have either outpaced my marker and crossed straight away close to the line, or else turned back sharply to cross, now I find it more effective to either cross earlier or much later then normal.

GTO is a superb game, but I'll be playing PES4 well after I've finished with that game.

In my game Zola is out injured for 17 weeks!!
<

Originally posted by neh@Nov 10 2004, 04:49 PM
linkgreat news pro evo fans PC PES4 will be online!
i can't wait to see if it's really true...it could be the end of my social life.lol
and then we could dare each other creating great tournaments
<

I haven't played any of the pes games but from what i have heard the gameplay is defintely better than fifa and the master league seems quite good. Online and lan in the latest game will no doubt boost the popularity of the game.

loaded this puppy up after thrashing GTA for 2 weeks

man its better than the first time i loaded it up when i first got it.

coz i was still in pes3 mode when i first got pes4, pes4 seemed a little frustrating to play

i gave it 2 weeks off to play GTA

i loaded it up last night and was creaming my pants of how well it simulates a soccer match

am doing the World cup on 6 star with england and am in the semis v italy

beat netherlands and france after the pool matches 1-0. (netherlands own goal was a ripper)...........(france in injury time, roony one on one with keeper)

GTA is a game that hypes u up so much when u first start playing - after a while some of the things become a chore.
PES4 is a game that u can fall back onto for 365 days a year and everytime u load it up, u get a shock of how good it is, and start questioning urself.......why did i ever take it out for another game.

This is the greatest era of video gaming..........everytime i get home, i gotto flip coins to see which game to load, GTA, PES4, TW2005, and soon Gran Turismo.

But after last nights multiple headers going over the bar, with zero pressure on, from beckham to owen aswell, i decided the heading in pes4 is shambles.
its like taking the jump button away in WCR...........a big gripe with me, for such a high expectation this game gets, coz of its predecessors......PES4 still the benchmark, but headers are near gone from my gameplan.

Just got this game for PC, the gameplay is so smooth!

only downer so far are some of the pitches, they look horrible with their wavy edges!

Originally posted by umosay@Dec 13 2004, 08:58 PM

only downer so far are some of the pitches, they look horrible with their wavy edges!
There was one truly awful pitch that made me sick just looking at it............had to edit the teams that had that one as their home ground so i wouldn't have to play there any more...........

Originally posted by NZL fan+Dec 14 2004, 09:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NZL fan @ Dec 14 2004, 09:34 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay
@Dec 13 2004, 08:58 PM

There was one truly awful pitch that made me sick just looking at it............had to edit the teams that had that one as their home ground so i wouldn't have to play there any more........... [/b]
Yeah the one with little squares on it and dirt patches, yuck!

Just got a PC patch that was 467mb, its got everything in it, the kits look amazing!

Man U v Arsenal at Old Trafford - this pitch looks the best

pes4.jpg

just played an 8 player single player selection (double multi tap) world cup on the ps2. We were Ireland and we won in the final against Argentina. The joys of playing the midfield holding role as Kevin Kilbane can truly never be explained...brilliant game!

EDIT: Damn app posted in the wrong thread somehow...

Last edited:

Latest posts