• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ok need some help on training

J

julz122

hey guys basically heres the story im 17 and just joined a rugby team after not playing rugby for quite a long time. I used to play flanker and really enjoyed it however i realised after my first training session that my tackles were really rusty and i just dont have the confidence as i used to, because now when someone is running at me/near me with the ball for some reason i dont really commit to the tackle but just wait around to much and forget to move forwards and so just go for a "tackle" half heartidly if that makes sense but thats only if someone is actually running when its stationary or jog im ok, so how can i improve my tackle? And another thing i really need to improve physically like im playing for the U18's and theyre all really big and since ive sat out im not on the same level as them when it comes to strength or speed. I know that in time ill improve but i want to be really good and really improve so my other question is what workout would you recommend to really improve my strength and SPEED. If you guys need more info just let me know :D

thanks

Seriously, you just need to tell yourself "stuff it if I get hurt" and go for it. Its the only way you'll get over your newfound fears. The best way for a smaller guy to tackle is around the legs...all you have to do is practice it over and over again.

Just because you're not as physically imposing as the some of the other players, doesn't mean you can't be dominant. You just need to work on the tackling around the legs (heck, even the ankles!!!)

This will give you a bit of inspiration :p...I play 1sts and whilst I was the youngest during the season at 18, I wasn't the lightest. The lightest bloke was 82kg and 5ft 9!!! He plays flanker as I do and he absolutely carves it up. He tackles around the legs, gets the player down, springs up, and if there's no immediate support he steals the ball. The next heaviest is me at 95kg and 6ft and then all the rest are 105kg+. This guy may not be able to smash other players, but he certainly gets the job done, and that's all you need to do too!

It's all about slowly building you confidence by quite simply going for it. Like Nike says..."Just do it" ;)

Goodluck mate...there's no reason you can't play like that bloke!

What he said above is true, if you don't tell yourself "If I get hurt imagine how much it hurt them." then you're just going to shy away from tackles, Just remember you get hurt more often if you think you are going to get hurt.

Just get stuck in. Go hit every chance you get. As far as your physical shape, it's going to be hard to do anything dramatic in season. Keep your cardio up (at least 45 min. a day) and hit the gym for some weight training. Don't over do it as you won't catch up anytime soon. Just stick with it and time will work stuff out.
The tackling is all mental. Just be fearless.

I would agree with O' Rothlain completely. In regards to tackling - remember that to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs. Use correct technique and get stuck in - you'll get some bumps and bruises but you'll come out better for it.

While at the gym I would focus on three exercises. squats, deadlifts, and bench. Also throw in some others but mostly focus on those. The squats will get you more confortable with a squating position while giving you more power in the legs and back. The deadlifts exercise most of the main muscle groups, therefore that will give you general strength. Work on speed training mostly though. In the formula for velocity, I beleive it is speed that has a greater impact than size. (I might be wrong on this need someone to clarify this)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Petden @ Sep 26 2008, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
While at the gym I would focus on three exercises. squats, deadlifts, and bench. Also throw in some others but mostly focus on those. The squats will get you more confortable with a squating position while giving you more power in the legs and back. The deadlifts exercise most of the main muscle groups, therefore that will give you general strength. Work on speed training mostly though. In the formula for velocity, I beleive it is speed that has a greater impact than size. (I might be wrong on this need someone to clarify this)[/b]

Speed is far more important than size (not sure about in the formula of velocity but in general game play);
1. Speed allows you to move around the field quicker and allows you to get to rucks and mauls at the correct time not thirty seconds after its finished.
2. Speed allows you to step, weave and generally be agile on the field, which size may hinder, i.e. Ever seen Matt Dunning step someone?
3. Speed also allows players to make a tackle get up, make another one. i.e. Matt Giteau kicking the ball, the sprinting so that he made the tackle of his kick as the person caught it.
4. Small stature may also make it harder for bigger players to tackle you (this is a guess because they always got me fine :D)
5. Speed is good in general because together with quick hands you will be a key player in every play.

Latest posts