• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

On Old people creeping in at night, leaving present for the little ones.

Yes, but let's not pretend this was purely religious. The middle ages were fueled by political gain. Many things have been done in the name of God and Christ that have been completely opposite to what God or Christ are all about. This I believe is the truest sense of "Taking the Lord's Name in Vain."

I wonder if, in a few centuries' time, the same evolution will take place in some more radical religious movements that are trying to get rid of all heathens now.

Don't think we'll be around to witness it xD

I wonder if, in a few centuries' time, the same evolution will take place in some more radical religious movements that are trying to get rid of all heathens now.

Don't think we'll be around to witness it xD [/b]
No, the backlash will be the non-religious and atheists getting rid of the religious. Who knows really? It's Christmas!!!!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> "sneaking into little kids rooms he's a f**king pedophile" - I love kevin bloody wilson. :lol: [/b]

:lol:

Ho ho f**ing ho what a crock of ****, we all work for Santa Claus we've had enough we quit :lol: :lol:

[/b][/quote]

Classic song and the best christmas song ever got it on CD.

He made a christmas album i MUST get it one day. :D
[/b][/quote]

Don't forget - "Santa Claus you c***, where's my f***ing bike, i've opened up all my presents and there's nothing that like"

Although I personally think "The Night Santa Went Crazy" by Weird Al is the greatest Christmas Show of all time.

shtove, most of what you posted wizzed right by me, meaning I didn't get it :(

I decided to make turkey this christmas eve, never tried to prepare one before. It will also be the first time I'm responsible of amain course.
Does anyone have good tips on that?

A friend of mine believes that the origins of Christmas lies in Scandinavia, where the witch doctor would make housecalls in winter, but as the door of the tents was snowed shut, he had to go through the hole in the roof to get in. He would also leave little things, like medicinal herbs and such.

It's true that Germans go further in Christmas stuff, decorations and tradition and such. [/b]

www.marthastewart.com :D

But isn't that hypocrisy then? First adopting pagan rituals, like Yule, which is one of the eight major wiccan/pagan holidays, and then calling it christmas, taking over the yule log and everything?
I mean, honestly, the first person to be certain of the birth date of Jesus is yet to be born. Considering Christ was born six yeard Before Christ (or wsas it 6AD?).

Anyway, on the one hand, you're adopting pagan rituals, so people will find it easier to step over to your cult (christianity) and then a few centuries later, you're trying to kill all heathens? Even if this includes people who believe in the same god, but simply refusdet to accept the pope as his highest in command here on earth. [/b]

If I'm not wrong Yule / Ewle was a time when they celebrated something like light over darkness. Because from the night of Yule onwards, the nights got shorter and shorter while the days got longer and longer. Something revolving around thi s ajor triumph of light over darkness and it is always darkest before the dawn. So I guess some people must have thought this relevant to the new religion (catholicism). After all, most religions are about this ligt over darkness thing. Like Deewali / Deevali / Deepavali.

A friend of mine spells that last one as Diwali :p

It was indeed the feast of light, hence the log that was lit. There was something special about the log and stuff.

Right ladies and gents, time to start a storm in a teacup.

The word "religion" has its roots in the Latin word religiane, which means "to tie, to bind". So basically, the concept of "religion" basically means to "return to bondage".

Discuss.

Not sure if it's a two way thing, anything that binds is also a religion.

I don't see how the term isn't fitting, after all, there is religion that says 'We don't have rules, just do as you please'. So in a way, it's binding it's members already :p

It's like every religion being a sekt. If that's how you spell it.

yeah the old man aint bad like... but not a patch on the helper...

any guy that once a year rides on a horse with some fat old man, and gets ****** up while kidnapping kids and giving them a beating is a hero in my eyes!!

wow thtat interesting bout the whole, is he black or not sort of thing... but im guessing it is cos of the soot.... but what bout the old man, is he caked in soot too??

I think its seCt.

And yea, religion has rules like "Thous Shalt Not" kill etc, so in a sense it binds you to certain ethical and moral principles and the God which you worship.

any guy that once a year rides on a horse with some fat old man, and gets ****** up while kidnapping kids and giving them a beating is a hero in my eyes!![/b]

Lol um I don't know what to say about that. Bloody sik gidz.

wow thtat interesting bout the whole, is he black or not sort of thing... but im guessing it is cos of the soot.... but what bout the old man, is he caked in soot too?? [/b]

That's what the controversy is about, he isn't. People think it's racist, to have a helper that is black, and then the 'master' being white. So in the Netherlands there was once a protest where all the people dressed up as helpers, only with orange/red/blue/green/... painted faces. How one could get a green face fromgoing down a chimney is beyond me.

But isn't that hypocrisy then? First adopting pagan rituals, like Yule, which is one of the eight major wiccan/pagan holidays, and then calling it christmas, taking over the yule log and everything?
I mean, honestly, the first person to be certain of the birth date of Jesus is yet to be born. Considering Christ was born six yeard Before Christ (or wsas it 6AD?).

Anyway, on the one hand, you're adopting pagan rituals, so people will find it easier to step over to your cult (christianity) and then a few centuries later, you're trying to kill all heathens? Even if this includes people who believe in the same god, but simply refusdet to accept the pope as his highest in command here on earth. [/b]

The one thing Christians really took from the pagans was philosophy and reason. People dancing round trees doesn't count - you have to go to the Church of England for that.

If you'd like to see what an old man thinks about all this, please go here:

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict...ensburg_en.html

There's a German translation too, and also Flemish, no doubt - got to keep trying with the pesky protestants.

Anyway, read it, and then convince me Christianity is a cult.

BTW - I'm not a Christian.

yeah thats really strange... but i guess i can see why people might have taken it in a racist way... especially in such a politically correct (perhaps a tad over sensitive society) that we seem to live in.

will you be celebrating this occasion on the 6th??

I'm guessing the same thing, I doubt his being a servant has anything to do with him being black.

I don't have any children, or godchildren, and I'm no one's aunt. And I'm on a diet :p
So while there might be an increased amount of chocolate, marzipan and cookies, I'll probably just make it my quest to devour all the satsumas before someone else eats them.

I also have a protest march to join in Brussels on that day, there might be some students dressed up as Saint-Nicholas, but I won't be one of them xD

About 6 million Dutch speaking people in Belgium aren't protestant :p (well, not originally, religion isn't a hot topic as it was before)

any guy that once a year rides on a horse with some fat old man, and gets ****** up while kidnapping kids and giving them a beating is a hero in my eyes!!

[/b]

No dude that isnt good i would get a beating every year. :(

Luckily, no one ever gets a beating. Kids just get gifts :p

Tonight is the big night. Oranges tomorrow!
langeleropdak.jpg

sintpietenstaan.JPG

I'm guessing the same thing, I doubt his being a servant has anything to do with him being black.

I don't have any children, or godchildren, and I'm no one's aunt. And I'm on a diet :p
[/b]

Sorry to be REALLY random, but didnt you post a pic of yourself in the hair topic? Unless youve gained 100 pounds since that photo i don't think you need a diet. Just saying, but whateverup to you *shrugs shoulders*

Latest posts