• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Online rugby games

Youre joking right? There are no online rugby games that I know of, well not that work anyway.

I wouldnt hold your breath waiting for down the wing either.....

1. its not even at alpha

2. The staff member he tasked with actually making the game was introduced as darkmatter.

3. He said that each match will have the same number of sets, which indicates that it wont really a real league game.

Perhaps have a look at rugbyleaguemanager 2008. Its not online but its fun and was made by one guy who did for free. I doubht down the wing will ever be better than that.

You guys obviously haven't played Blackout Rugby then? It's a Rugby Union online management game though, not a Rugby League one. Not sure if that matters to you.

The game has been in full operation since around early December 2007 and is now into it's 5th Season. It has just over 7000 members at the moment and is run by a couple of NZ guys.

It's free to play and you can also subscribe for a premium membership, which costs about NZD$50. Premium gains you a few aesthetic treats and some extra stats but doesn't give you any really technical advantages.

The game is constantly evolving and having more and more content added to it. This season the game is hosting the first World Cup for the top 12 (out of 15) national teams.

Last season the United States Juniors upset the field to win the first ever U20World Cup, beating the strong favorites NZ in the final (apparently NZ are chokers in the virtual rugby world too...)

I've been a member of the game since it first went fully live and am currently in the second Tier of the NZ league ladder system. The game also has a knockout cup (Wednesday nights) for each nation too and plenty of friendly competitions (monday nights) between clubs from different countries.

The game isn't a hands on rugby playing game, like EA Rugby or Jonah Lomu Rugby, but it is a sweet management game where you get to look after your senior and youth team. Looks after club finances and player training and there is a massive Transfer Market for buying in new talent too. I'm actually a member of a committee set up to create and refine new improvements for the game Match Engine to make it more realistic and to also introduce new changes to the game to make it better.

It's not everyones cup of tea, but it's an awesome Rugby management game that has had a tonne of hard work already put into its creation and development.

www.blackoutrugby.com

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CeeJay @ Apr 4 2009, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sounds cool, whats the match engine like?[/b]

It's pretty well designed and runs very much like a real game of rugby. One of the benefits of a Premium membership is a 2D view of where the ball is on the pitch. It makes the game entertaining enough to watch when coupled with the constant commentary.

This season we are aiming to have some pretty intense new features added to the Match Engine. Things like Red and Yellow cards, tactical substitutions (rather than just having players replaced when injured) and eventually the aim is to have intense logic like playing advantage for knock-ons etc (rather than just awarding a scrum).

Players basically have 10 core skills. Those are Stamina, Attack, Technique, Jumping, Agility, Handling, Defense, Strength, Speed and Kicking. Depending on the skills of each player it is up to you to set your lineup as best as you see fit.

Your players also are all different in terms of physical dimensions too (Height/Weight) and age every season too. Players skills go up from playing games and also from Training (which is held every Tuesday). Players also vary in terms of their aggression and discipline (essentially an agressive type of player will push the boundaries more and get more turnovers, but also give away more penalties).

So the game can be quite intense if you get right in to it. Or you can just log in once every couple of weeks to see how you boys have been going etc. As always the best part is that it's free to join and free to leave. Some people find it's not their kind of thing and just don't log back in again. But thousands of guys are enjoying it and enjoy being part of helping it grow (like me :D ).

It'd be cool to get some more TRF members over there, coz there never seems to be a shortage of rugby brains here who'd enjoy running their own team. Who knows we might even be able to start a friendly comp on Monday night dedicated to the site here!!

Yeah - Blackout is pretty good.
Currently lying second to last in Ireland Div 3 unfortunately. Spent all my available cash on improving trainers and training grounds where it seems like everyone else in the league has just been buying better players!! I would suggest you do the same. Even though i have great trainers and training grounds, my players aren't improving to the same level as the other teams purchases - therefore i am getting smoked like a fine cuban cigar in most matches!

I've also heard there are some pretty good managers in the Ireland leagues though Steve, including quite a few good Dutch managers (who see Ireland as their adopted rugby home, at least until the Netherlands are given independent nation status in BR)?

It's always a tough decision though, to buy players or to train yourself. Personally I think the best method is to just train 4 or so guys intensely from 17 years old up to 20yo (coz they respond better to training when they're young). Then, when they turn 20 you turn your sights on another batch to improve your squad's weaknesses. Kinda takes a while though I guess, but players are becoming more and more expensive on the markets it seems...

Are you guys (kafta and Steve) both using the same user names in BR? I'll have to get in touch with you guys for a friendly some time?

I've been playing it for the last five seasons and I've climbed up to the 2nd division before being relegated down to the third division again. I've got a very aggressive and attacking side but the defense is lacking seriously.

I've been playing five seasons too, top of my Div.2 league and Ireland U20 assistant coach, which is going very well at the moment, 2 from 2 including hammering the defending champions USA, we are currently sitting pretty in First place B)

well i have joined up to blackout rugby, dont know how well ill go or how long ill stick at it, but ill try :)

Good to see there's a few TRF users on BR now. Might even be able to start a dedicated friendly comp if the numbers grow enough.

Welcome aboard Woosah, I think you'd do pretty well with the management side of BR. Lot's of tactics and strategies.

I'm sure someone tried to organise a friendly comp before, but not enough teams commited to it. Anyway, still in the cup, top of the league, second in the promotion table, and the U20s are only playing Romania on Friday :) (and then England on Easter Sunday, crap)

My team won (for once) with an emphatic 76 - 0 demolition of a Computer side :D

It's Pretty addictive, got my first game againts the team coming second in my division. There not gonna know what hit them when the Starmoans roll into town and slap them silly.

Thanks Scuuba

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ickon @ Apr 9 2009, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's Pretty addictive, got my first game againts the team coming second in my division. There not gonna know what hit them when the Starmoans roll into town and slap them silly.

Thanks Scuuba[/b]

Yeah I agree, It is rather addicting and also my thanks to Scuuba.

I just joined under username Tommowins and by team is the Egmont Elites (people from around Taranaki will understand).

Scuuba can you quickly explain how the leagues and divisions work? Because I hear there are different country leagues and the whole thing is a bit confusing.

I remember signing up to BOR in the beta stages and waiting for it to start, by then though I had already played Battrick (a cricket game similar to BOR) for 1-2 years and was over the management game thing and couldn't get into BOR as much as I wanted to with time restraints. I might get into it again. Any recomendations Scuuba?

I've got a bit of a difficult period ahead of me as a lot of my players are getting tired despite playing most of my games on normal. I should have risked a couple of cup games on "with next week in mind" to save energy :(

Latest posts