• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Opening test line up predictions

Ground We Won

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Injuries permitting and returning players, I think the All Blacks will line up like this;

All Blacks

1.Joe Moody
2.Dane Coles
3.Owen Franks
4.Brodie Rettalick
5.Sam Whitelock
6.Jerome Kaino
7.Sam Cane
8.Kieran Read
9.Aaron Smith
10.Beauden Barrett
11.Julian Savea
12.Ryan Crotty
13.Anton Leinert-Brown
14.Israel Dagg
15.Ben Smith

16.Codie Taylor
17.Wyatt Crockett
18.Charlie Faumuina
19.Liam Squire
20.Ardie Savea
21.TJ Perenara
22.Aaron Cruden
23.Sonny Bill Williams

Some big exclusions like Fekitoa, Scott Barrett, NMS and Damien McKenzie. I think these players will get a chance in the series, but not in the first one. Hansen sure to go safe and with experience first up. I think Squire and Ardie will both be on the bench because they will be required in the 2nd half vs a good Lions pack.

I think Dagg vs Skudder vs Naholo will be the toughest call.

Injuries permitting and returning players, I think the All Blacks will line up like this;

All Blacks

1.Joe Moody
2.Dane Coles
3.Owen Franks
4.Brodie Rettalick
5.Sam Whitelock
6.Jerome Kaino
7.Sam Cane
8.Kieran Read
9.Aaron Smith
10.Beauden Barrett
11.Julian Savea
12.Ryan Crotty
13.Anton Leinert-Brown
14.Israel Dagg
15.Ben Smith

16.Codie Taylor
17.Wyatt Crockett
18.Charlie Faumuina
19.Liam Squire
20.Ardie Savea
21.TJ Perenara
22.Aaron Cruden
23.Sonny Bill Williams

Some big exclusions like Fekitoa, Scott Barrett, NMS and Damien McKenzie. I think these players will get a chance in the series, but not in the first one. Hansen sure to go safe and with experience first up. I think Squire and Ardie will both be on the bench because they will be required in the 2nd half vs a good Lions pack.

I think Dagg vs Skudder vs Naholo will be the toughest call.
Only difference I'd predict is a lock in place of Squire, probably Tuipolotu.
What you've put forward is definitely the expected side...

On a side note, does anyone know when ABs squad actually gets announced? or has a date not been set?

Only difference I'd predict is a lock in place of Squire, probably Tuipolotu.
What you've put forward is definitely the expected side...

On a side note, does anyone know when ABs squad actually gets announced? or has a date not been set?

Yeah, thought I'd put forward one talking point and a possible tactic. Thoughts on dropping Kaino into lock in the 2nd half to accommodate both Ardie and Squire on the bench? Or even just playing Brodie and Sam the 80.

I think both of them coming off the bench would really hurt the Lions and up the tempo. Barrett, Romano and Tuipulotu would be better for stability and cover.

Lions/All Blacks - Winner
1. McGrath/Moody - McGrath
2. Best/Coles - Coles
3. Furlong/Franks - Furlong
4. Itoje/Retallick - Retallick
5. Kruis/Whitelock - Whitelock
6. Stander/Kaino - Stander
7. Warburton/Cane - Cane
8. Faletau/Read - Read
9. Murray/Smith - Smith
10. Farrell/Barrett - Barrett
11. North/Savea - Savea
12. Henshaw/Crotty - Henshaw
13. Joseph/ALB - ALB
14. Nowell/Dagg - Dagg
15. Hogg/Smith - Smith

16. George/Taylor - Taylor
17. Vunipola/Crockett - Vunipola
18. Sinckler/Faumaina - Faumaina
19. Henderson/Tuipulotu - Henderson
20. O'Mahony/Savea - Savea
21. Webb/Perenara - Perenara
22. Sexton/Cruden - Sexton
23. Daly/SBW - Daly

Lions/All Blacks - Winner
1. McGrath/Moody - McGrath
2. Best/Coles - Coles
3. Furlong/Franks - Furlong
4. Itoje/Retallick - Retallick
5. Kruis/Whitelock - Whitelock
6. Stander/Kaino - Stander
7. Warburton/Cane - Cane
8. Faletau/Read - Read
9. Murray/Smith - Smith
10. Farrell/Barrett - Barrett
11. North/Savea - Savea
12. Henshaw/Crotty - Henshaw
13. Joseph/ALB - ALB
14. Nowell/Dagg - Dagg
15. Hogg/Smith - Smith

16. George/Taylor - Taylor
17. Vunipola/Crockett - Vunipola
18. Sinckler/Faumaina - Faumaina
19. Henderson/Tuipulotu - Henderson
20. O'Mahony/Savea - Savea
21. Webb/Perenara - Perenara
22. Sexton/Cruden - Sexton
23. Daly/SBW - Daly

I think that's a pretty fair summation. Some natural kiwi bias might come into this, but there's a couple changes I'd suggest...
- Franks vs Furlong is very close, but I'd have Franks just in front.
- I'd rate Kaino ahead of Stander. IMO Kaino is the best 6 in the world period.
- I think at 7 you could make a case for Warburton ahead of Cane. That's a close one. Imma go with Warburton just... the influence he has being captain just edges him for me.
- At 11, again, you could make a good case for North ahead of Savea. Savea's form has been scratchy/inconsistent to say the least. Right now I honestly think I'd go North.
- I'd go Cruden ahead of Sexton, but it really depends on how you're comparing them. There's not much in it. If it's a kiwi style game then Cruden is the better player (better attacking skillset), but if it's a NH style game then Sexton is the better player (clearly superior kicking game etc.)
- And then I'd go SBW ahead of Daly, I feel he's a better impact player.

So, over all you have it 15 - 8 to the ABs, I have it 17 - 6...

I think that's a pretty fair summation. Some natural kiwi bias might come into this, but there's a couple changes I'd suggest...
- Franks vs Furlong is very close, but I'd have Franks just in front.
- I'd rate Kaino ahead of Stander. IMO Kaino is the best 6 in the world period.
- I think at 7 you could make a case for Warburton ahead of Cane. That's a close one. Imma go with Warburton just... the influence he has being captain just edges him for me.
- At 11, again, you could make a good case for North ahead of Savea. Savea's form has been scratchy/inconsistent to say the least. Right now I honestly think I'd go North.
- I'd go Cruden ahead of Sexton, but it really depends on how you're comparing them. There's not much in it. If it's a kiwi style game then Cruden is the better player (better attacking skillset), but if it's a NH style game then Sexton is the better player (clearly superior kicking game etc.)
- And then I'd go SBW ahead of Daly, I feel he's a better impact player.

So, over all you have it 15 - 8 to the ABs, I have it 17 - 6...

I would usually agree with Kaino over Stander but whereas Kaino hasn't been at his best, Stander's been in incredible form. For me, on form, he edges it. The rest of your changes I can't argue with

What makes you say Kaino hasn't been at his best? He just hasn't been playing lately, but he was in top form prior to injury.

What makes you say Kaino hasn't been at his best? He just hasn't been playing lately, but he was in top form prior to injury.

He's clearly still been in great form but he just hasn't impressed me as much as Stander has. It's probably the toughest call in the team to make, but I think Stander just about edges it. That's the way I see it anyway.

He's clearly still been in great form but he just hasn't impressed me as much as Stander has. It's probably the toughest call in the team to make, but I think Stander just about edges it. That's the way I see it anyway.
Fair enough mate.

On a side note, I just found the answer to my own question... The ABs squad will be announced on the 8th of June.

15 1/2 penny
14 Liam Williams ***
13 Jonathen Davies ***
12 Robbie Henshaw
11 Jack Nowell
10 Sexton ***
9 Webb ***

1 Mgrath ***
2. Owens ***
3. Furlong
4 AWJ
5.Kruis
6.Stander
7. Warbs
8. Falatau ***

The players with stars are my nailed on players bar injuries.
I think Owens is going to be test hooker, Johny Fox and Jack Nowell have both hit form the last month and if they maintain form won't be far away.

15 1/2 penny
14 Liam Williams ***
13 Jonathen Davies ***
12 Robbie Henshaw
11 Jack Nowell
10 Sexton ***
9 Webb ***

1 Mgrath ***
2. Owens ***
3. Furlong
4 AWJ
5.Kruis
6.Stander
7. Warbs
8. Falatau ***

I think Owens is going to be test hooker, Johny Fox and Jack Nowell have both hit form the last month and if they maintain form won't be far away.

You think Webb's nailed on over Murray? I'd strongly disagree with that, Murray has to start. In fact I wouldn't agree with any of your nailed-ons other than McGrath and Faletau.

15 1/2 penny
14 Liam Williams ***
13 Jonathen Davies ***
12 Robbie Henshaw
11 Jack Nowell
10 Sexton ***
9 Webb ***

1 Mgrath ***
2. Owens ***
3. Furlong
4 AWJ
5.Kruis
6.Stander
7. Warbs
8. Falatau ***

You surely can't be Welsh...

Warburton is captain, literally the only confirmed selection

Two England players in the whole side would be a joke.

I'll guess

1. Vunipola
2. Owens
3. Furlong
4. AWJ
5. Itoje
6. O'Brien
7. Warburton
8. Stander

9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Daly
12. Henshaw
13. Joseph
14. North
15. Hogg

Calling up Haskell instead of Heaslip suggests to me that Gatland views Stander as a number 8. He's already said that Farrell is going as 10, so club positions are probably more important than national ones. Be interesting to watch how Stander and Faletau perform in the provincial matches, that one's pretty up in the air to me. Calling him up over Robshaw suggests that he wants 2 big ball carriers in the back row along with one lineout option, who will have to be Warburton. So SOB and Moriarty will be the number 6 options along with Stander.

Joseph should be at 13 unless Davies makes a very, very convincing argument on tour. I get that Gatland may well pick Halfpenny at full back but I hope not.

McGrath
Toss a 3 sided coin. Best for experience, Owens had the best 6N, George as both locks are English. Veering towards Best as he knows both props and led a team that's done well against the ABs.
Furlong
Lawes. Has to be if he can maintain current form.
Kruis
Stander
Warbs
Faletau
Murray
Farrell
North
Henshaw
Joseph
Watson
Hogg

Mako, George, Sinckler, Itoje, O'Brien, Webb, Sexton, Nowell

Is Sam Davies in the squad? Nailed on starter I tell ya now, just like I told you he would be first choice Wales 10 by the end of the 6N :D

Anyway, I jest. Here is my squad. I like it loads :) I think Farrell will play into 12.

McGrath
Best
Furlong
Itoje
Kruis
Warbs
Tipuric
Faletau

Murray
Sexton
North
Farrell
Joseph
Watson
Hogg

Mako, George, Cole, AWJ, Stander, Webb, Henshaw, Williams

Irish front row, England locks, Welsh back row. Good combos and pace in the backs. Power and pace to come off the bench.

I'll guess

1. Vunipola
2. Owens
3. Furlong
4. AWJ
5. Itoje
6. O'Brien
7. Warburton
8. Stander

9. Murray
10. Sexton
11. Daly
12. Henshaw
13. Joseph
14. North
15. Hogg

Calling up Haskell instead of Heaslip suggests to me that Gatland views Stander as a number 8. He's already said that Farrell is going as 10, so club positions are probably more important than national ones. Be interesting to watch how Stander and Faletau perform in the provincial matches, that one's pretty up in the air to me. Calling him up over Robshaw suggests that he wants 2 big ball carriers in the back row along with one lineout option, who will have to be Warburton. So SOB and Moriarty will be the number 6 options along with Stander.

Joseph should be at 13 unless Davies makes a very, very convincing argument on tour. I get that Gatland may well pick Halfpenny at full back but I hope not.
Heaslip is injured, I reckon he'd have been in the original squad ahead of Moriarty otherwise.

Looks like NMS should take Daggs spot if he stays fit, made some great steps vs the Force. I know it's the Force, but Dagg hasn't come back nearly as strong.

Looks like NMS should take Daggs spot if he stays fit, made some great steps vs the Force. I know it's the Force, but Dagg hasn't come back nearly as strong.
Completely agree. I think when they're both fit NMS is the better player anyway, and on the evidence we've had he's already in better form.
Also, after the weekend, I think I've almost changed my thinking re. halfback. Perenara is in awesome form and is out-playing Smith every round atm. Even though Smith's game is so vital to the ABs' game-plan, I just feel like TJ is the better player rn, so would strongly consider starting him.
That one's a 50/50 for me rn.