• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Opes high for glory at Bondi

K

Kimmy_The_Kiwi

By James Hooper
September 16, 2006

FORMER Australia coach Chris Anderson last night declared he was the man to take the Roosters back to the promised land after signing a two-year $1 million deal to coach at Bondi Junction.

Anderson was appointed to the helm of the glamour Sydney club after a two-hour meeting with Roosters chairman Nick Politis in Rushcutters Bay yesterday afternoon.

In a whirlwind 24 hours, Anderson went from emerging as the shock new favourite to replace sacked coach Ricky Stuart to being confirmed as the man to resurrect the Roosters in their 100th season.

The former Bulldogs, Melbourne and Sharks coach last night admitted he was still 'numb' about the rapid turn of events before pledging to relish in the challenge of transforming the 2002 premiers into an NRL powerhouse again.

"I was always keen to get back into coaching if the right opportunity came along and I see this as a tremendous opportunity," Anderson said.

"The Roosters are a club that likes to win, they've had a couple of tough years, but they know how to win.

"They've got a good record of winning competitions. They're a club that demands success - but I like that.

"They want to be competing in grand finals and I like that sort of pressure. I don't see it as pressure I see it as a challenge."

Retired champion Roosters, NSW and Australia five-eighth Brad Fittler, who played under Anderson when he was coaching the Kangaroos, was appointed as the assistant coach at Bondi Junction.

Powerful Roosters chairman Nick Politis and the Roosters board have been working through a selection process to appoint a new coach for the past fortnight, since Stuart and the Roosters parted ways.

Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett was originally the Roosters' first preference, but when the story became public he opted to honour his current contract with the Broncos until the end of 2009.

Anderson then emerged as the shock new favourite yesterday after meeting with Roosters board member Mark Bouris in Sydney, before another meeting with Politis yesterday ratified the appointment.

"Chris brings with him a wealth of coaching and playing experience. Above this is his outstanding record as a mentor to young players in their rugby league careers," Politis said.

"Naturally with Chris's experience and success comes an ability to develop a winning culture at the Roosters."

Anderson has been assured he will have complete control in terms of coaching the side and also play a major role in terms of recruitment and retention.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*phew* so glad all that is over and done with. Glad to see the coach wasnt Bluey McClennan.

Sad day this... Chris Anderson, the coach that no one wanted has come back and landed a job at our club! Which probably means we'll get Kimmorley following him, and just when we'd gotton rid of Finch! :( .

LOL, Kimmorely and Finch are just as bad as each other..how I feel for you!

Yep! Looks like 2007 is gonna be another year where the Roosters don't make the finals! Man how I wish we got Bennett... then instead of getting Kimmorley, we'd get Lote!

Yep! Looks like 2007 is gonna be another year where the Roosters don't make the finals! Man how I wish we got Bennett... then instead of getting Kimmorley, we'd get Lote!
[/b]

LMAO :lol: :bleh!:

:lol2tn:

[/b]
He was SO close to being your coach..but then yet so far away. VERY far away now.

Latest posts