WP/Stormers making loss and Gold leaving Sharks

saulan

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Two interesting stories out today. WP/Stormers look like they are in quite a bit of financial trouble. Meanwhile Gary Gold leaves the Sharks.

WP money troubles
Western Province Rugby is in financial meltdown - with the potential for it to deepen considerably over a potentially crippling lawsuit.

WP Rugby (Pty) Ltd had already projected at a board meeting in July to make a loss of R11.2 million for the year, but that may pale into relative insignificance if legal proceedings instituted against them by Aerios, a company whose stated commercial focus is to sell sponsorship rights predominantly in sport, are successful.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/troubled-wp-rugby-rocked-by-r72m-claim-20161027

Gary Gold has quit the Sharks
Following two years at the helm of the Sharks, Gary Gold has requested the opportunity to pursue another avenue in his rugby career, according to the Sharks website.

Teichmann also announced that former Natal and Springbok scrumhalf and current Sharks Currie Cup head coach, Robert du Preez, will take charge of the Sharks 2017 Super Rugby campaign.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/shock-as-gary-gold-quits-sharks-20161027

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I don't know if there was any discussion about this anywhere else, but I find the Sharks' decision on their new GM quite perplexing. They replace a 62 year old who had 25 years of service with a 24 year old former Sharks Junior player. What experience is he going to have in managing at the age of 24. He could only have started working after his BCom degree in 2014, how will he have gained the experience for that position in 3 years?
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/sharks-appoint-24-year-old-general-manager-20161025-2

Two interesting stories out today. WP/Stormers look like they are in quite a bit of financial trouble. Meanwhile Gary Gold leaves the Sharks.

WP money troubles

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/troubled-wp-rugby-rocked-by-r72m-claim-20161027

Gary Gold has quit the Sharks

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRugby/shock-as-gary-gold-quits-sharks-20161027

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I don't know if there was any discussion about this anywhere else, but I find the Sharks' decision on their new GM quite perplexing. They replace a 62 year old who had 25 years of service with a 24 year old former Sharks Junior player. What experience is he going to have in managing at the age of 24. He could only have started working after his BCom degree in 2014, how will he have gained the experience for that position in 3 years?
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/sharks-appoint-24-year-old-general-manager-20161025-2

I was also thinking about the 24 year old who got the job as being a bit of "Frowned Upon" move. But then again, who am I to judge this guy. I also studied my degree whilst being fully employed, and am in this position I am because of the experience I have gained while studying. I am at least 25 years younger than anybody else in my city who consider themselves experts in the property market.

So I'll reserve my judgment.

I wonder what makes Robert qualified to coach the Sharks ? It seems nowadays anyone who is available, can coach.

I wonder what makes Robert qualified to coach the Sharks ? It seems nowadays anyone who is available, can coach.
I dont know what coaching qualifications he has aside from coaching KZN club sides and NWU Pukke. What i do know is that the sharks look a much better side under him. They are creative on attack and seem to make use of their possession much better than under gold.
Under Gold the team looked very challenged when it needed to attack and could basically do the following very well: Defend.
You could say it was because our main play makers was injured (Lambie, Reinach) but du Preez has made the team really look exciting even without these injured players.

He is the prime example of starting at the bottom and working up:

He first coached club side College Rovers where they won 67 out of 70 games.
Then he coached the NWU-Pukke, where he got the reputation of unearthing great potential.
Then he coached the Leopards in association with NWU-Pukke and lead them to the Currie Cup First Division ***le.
And now he's with the Sharks where he first assisted the youth sides and now with the senior team.

He was also a pretty good scrumhalf in his days... I think he deserves the chance to prove himself.

He is the prime example of starting at the bottom and working up:

He first coached club side College Rovers where they won 67 out of 70 games.
Then he coached the NWU-Pukke, where he got the reputation of unearthing great potential.
Then he coached the Leopards in association with NWU-Pukke and lead them to the Currie Cup First Division ***le.
And now he's with the Sharks where he first assisted the youth sides and now with the senior team.

He was also a pretty good scrumhalf in his days... I think he deserves the chance to prove himself.

Seems like a pretty good CV, although he is without the credentials of coaching a Currie Cup Premier team and a Currie Cup ***le.

Seems like a pretty good CV, although he is without the credentials of coaching a Currie Cup Premier team and a Currie Cup ***le.

He coached the Currie Cup team this year for the Sharks, but under the helm of Gary Gold. I think next year will be different when he's in charge.

Actually all the franchises have now gone through that transition. At one point the more senior coach was in charge of the Super Rugby team (like Frans Ludeke and Naka Drotske) and then they had another coach for the Currie Cup team (Like Nollis Marais). But now all of them have gone the way of making the same coach in charge of both competitions.

He coached the Currie Cup team this year for the Sharks, but under the helm of Gary Gold. I think next year will be different when he's in charge.

Actually all the franchises have now gone through that transition. At one point the more senior coach was in charge of the Super Rugby team (like Frans Ludeke and Naka Drotske) and then they had another coach for the Currie Cup team (Like Nollis Marais). But now all of them have gone the way of making the same coach in charge of both competitions.

Except us, we still have a Fleck/Dobson split.

Latest posts