• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

OPS2 Australia has reviewed RC06

M

Mr. Laxative

Well, I sent an e-mail to them requesting a review and it turned out they'd already written one. Hopefully they will be sending me a copy, but anyone who has the current issue or a way of accessing it on line please post it here. If no one does then I will certainly when I get my hands on it!

Would be interested to see that although I have pretty much given up on reviews now. Especially since the RL2 ones. I review my own games from now on.
<

Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Jan 9 2006, 10:46 PM
Would be interested to see that although I have pretty much given up on reviews now. Especially since the RL2 ones. I review my own games from now on.
<
Well reviews are just opinion pieces Knowsley... In the UK they're so soccer mad and biased against rugby that they generally bag anything related to it. Here in Australia we generally love rugby and the reviewers are often biased in favour of it.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jan 10 2006, 12:21 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jan 10 2006, 12:21 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-knowsleyroader
@Jan 9 2006, 10:46 PM
<
Well reviews are just opinion pieces Knowsley... In the UK they're so soccer mad and biased against rugby that they generally bag anything related to it. Here in Australia we generally love rugby and the reviewers are often biased in favour of it. [/b]
I remember back in the days though when you could trust mags like, your sinclair, crash and c&vg.

You would buy on the strength and it was very rare you would be dissapointed. To be honest now you can find pretty much every type of review for any game going. I.e a crap one, an average one, a good one and an amazing one so it means pretty much nothing.

One further note, you would expect people who review video games for a living to pick up on all the aspects of a game, like is it well programmed, does it make good use of the platform its on, is it fun.

I find it hard to believe that none of the reviews have mentioned how poor the control is. Are these the game people who reviewd R2005 ? If so how can they not compare and mention how shoddy the RL2 control is compared to other rugby games ?

Most of us on here have noted it so why havent they ? I know you like the game, but surely even you have to admit to the rift between the control of RL2 compared to the likes of Lomu, R2005, WCR, and even RL1 ? Thats what I find strange.

They gave it a 9/10 yes, but they did mention a little bit about the control, but said it was a big improvement on RL1. They didn't compare it to Rugby Union games because some people probably see it as unfair... dunno?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
One further note, you would expect people who review video games for a living to pick up on all the aspects of a game, like is it well programmed, does it make good use of the platform its on, is it fun.[/b]
Go to gamespot. They generally review games pretty well and take into account what you've mentioned... unfortunately they only do US games. They did rugby 2005 and gave it 7.1, which is probably fair considering it wasn't really finished upon release.

Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Jan 10 2006, 01:05 AM
Most of us on here have noted it so why havent they ? I know you like the game, but surely even you have to admit to the rift between the control of RL2 compared to the likes of Lomu, R2005, WCR, and even RL1 ? Thats what I find strange.
I agree it's stiff and has issues, but to be honest I actually find control more satisfying than RL1 because there's less of that turning and seeing players do huge circles as if they were ice skating... In rugby 2005 the movement is pretty good, but only when the game lets you control your player, which is generally about 25-30 percent of each game. WCR had the best control though, but then it was so good it was unrealistic! You could be running full pelt and turn a total right angle on a dime. As for JLR... well I never liked that game, far to unrealistic and limited for me, though I did play it for the first time in 2003.

Originally posted by knowsleyroader+Jan 10 2006, 02:05 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (knowsleyroader @ Jan 10 2006, 02:05 AM)</div>
Originally posted by sanzar@Jan 10 2006, 12:21 AM
<

Well reviews are just opinion pieces Knowsley... In the UK they're so soccer mad and biased against rugby that they generally bag anything related to it. Here in Australia we generally love rugby and the reviewers are often biased in favour of it.
I remember back in the days though when you could trust mags like, your sinclair, crash and c&vg.

You would buy on the strength and it was very rare you would be dissapointed. To be honest now you can find pretty much every type of review for any game going. I.e a crap one, an average one, a good one and an amazing one so it means pretty much nothing.

One further note, you would expect people who review video games for a living to pick up on all the aspects of a game, like is it well programmed, does it make good use of the platform its on, is it fun.

I find it hard to believe that none of the reviews have mentioned how poor the control is. Are these the game people who reviewd R2005 ? If so how can they not compare and mention how shoddy the RL2 control is compared to other rugby games ?

Most of us on here have noted it so why havent they ? I know you like the game, but surely even you have to admit to the rift between the control of RL2 compared to the likes of Lomu, R2005, WCR, and even RL1 ? Thats what I find strange. [/b]
Totally agree on the whole Crash, Your Sinclair, C & VG thing. They were the days when game mechanics and playability were all that mattered.

Y'Know why?

Graphics and enviroment didn't really exist in games, and they just had to be clever and fluid control of your player was a gaming cornerstone.

Yep Knowsley, I remember.

Originally posted by Jacko@Jan 9 2006, 07:27 PM
Well, I sent an e-mail to them requesting a review and it turned out they'd already written one. Hopefully they will be sending me a copy, but anyone who has the current issue or a way of accessing it on line please post it here. If no one does then I will certainly when I get my hands on it!
Well it is out... I checked at the newsagency today and it had it on the back, but the bloody think was encased in plastic and I wasn't about to spend 15 dollars on a mag with only one article I was interested in reading! Especially since we have locks already telling us what it's like... Still though, if anyone else out there has a copy I wouldn't mind seeing what they thought.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Jan 10 2006, 08:55 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Jan 10 2006, 08:55 PM)</div>
@Jan 10 2006, 02:05 AM
and c&vg.
Very sad that it went bust so suddenly like that. [/b]
Yeah, I had almost every issue of C+VG and was gutted when it finished, and it seems that it's going to happen to the best games Mag around, GAMES TM!!

Their publishers have gone bust, and that's the only mag making a small profit. Thing is, they say even if it's making a profit, the magazine will probably be discontinued around March!
<

Gutted, I love this mag.

I know it's off topic, but for anyone who's, ahem, more mature on this forum, then pick up a copy of RetroGamer. It's fantastic. Takes you back. In fact, reading about all the old games is far better than actually going back and playing them.

Originally posted by C A Iversen+Jan 10 2006, 05:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jan 10 2006, 05:14 PM)</div>
Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Jan 10 2006, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by sanzar@Jan 10 2006, 12:21 AM
<

Totally agree on the whole Crash, Your Sinclair, C & VG thing. They were the days when game mechanics and playability were all that mattered.

Y'Know why?

Graphics and enviroment didn't really exist in games, and they just had to be clever and fluid control of your player was a gaming cornerstone.

Yep Knowsley, I remember. [/b]
God I loved those old mags especially with the fantastic drawn covers they used to have. I would read and re read them so many times. I would come off a game on my speccy and then go and read the review again.

They dont make em .. blah blah blah...

@ Lox yeah I saw that in gamestation m8, if you have a copy I wouldnt mind a squint if you get the chance to drop it off m8
<

the final verdict from OPS2 Australia:

Poor passing, useless lineouts, poor defence. Only features a few European teams due to licenses, so it doesn't feature Aus or NZ.

Official Verdict:
Graphics - 06: We've seen worse.
Sound - 05: Basic and repetitive.
Gameplay - 05: Er... Basic and repetitive.
Lifespan - 03: Keep the reciept.
OVERALL - 04: Disappointing - flawed in almost every department.

bear in mind these are the same people who gave RL2 a 9

4?

Hmm, what did they give RL2? ****a plz.

The media reviews aren't too positive so far.

If they're right, and this is a complete turd in a disc worthy of no more than a 4/10, then I will cut off my balls in a very Welsh manner and show them proudly to all of my friends...

Of course, theres a very high possibility that this is Los Lovers doings in an attempt to half Trevs sales with his army of truth.

Originally posted by myusernameisprettybland@Jan 11 2006, 10:54 AM

Poor passing, useless lineouts, poor defence. Only features a few European teams due to licenses, so it doesn't feature Aus or NZ.

Official Verdict:

Well this is rediculous

I dunno what to think

Lox, Knowsley, and Boy, have to return serve of this

Talk about smashing our confidence in buying this product.

I am now reserved pending the above amigos, putting this review back in its place, right up ring of the Sidhe ass kissing OPS2 magazine.

I wouldnt mind seeing more reviews or the in depth writing, and not just the verdict.

Sure they gave NRL2 9/10
But how can they judge RC2006 so badly, if they praise NRL2 so high
Was it the same individual reviewing the game

Really in limbo now..........I need confirmation..........do we have confirmation?

Lox, Knows, and Boy................deliver what we wanna hear..........tell me its not true.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Jan 11 2006, 11:11 AM
If they're right, and this is a complete turd in a disc worthy of no more than a 4/10, then I will cut off my balls in a very Welsh manner and show them proudly to all of my friends...
LMFAO!!!

You said you want a new picture for your sig, so why not a picture of them.

Originally posted by myusernameisprettybland@Jan 11 2006, 11:54 AM

Official Verdict:

<
<

bs. from the video, i would rate the game better than that. it looks like jonah lomu on drugs. repetitive? jlo rugby was repetitive if you didnt make your own fun in it, looks like it will be the same for rc2006.

but then again, you shouldnt listen to anyone who rates rl2 higher than a 2

Originally posted by myusernameisprettybland@Jan 11 2006, 10:54 AM

Official Verdict:

the final verdict from OPS2 Australia

Poor passing, useless lineouts, poor defence. Only features a few European teams due to licenses, so it doesn't feature Aus or NZ.:[/b]

Poor Passing???? Has he actually PLAYED this game? RC2006 has the best passing system bar none.

Poor Defence??? Again, he's talking complete shite. Maybe the AI was on easy, but stick it on "Intensive care" difficulty and it's pretty hard. Defence in multiplayer too, is the way it should be - quick, responsive and feels right.

Official Verdict:

Graphics - 06: We've seen worse.[/b]

I'd add at least another 1 to that.

Sound - 05: Basic and repetitive.[/b]

About right

Gameplay - 05: Er... Basic and repetitive.[/b]

Pure tripe. It's easy to pick up and play and it's NEVER going to be a simulation, but for a fully playable Rugby game, RC2006 takes some beating. I'd put this at around an 8.5/10

Lifespan - 03: Keep the reciept.[/b]

Completely Laughable. How he can say that is beyond me.

OVERALL - 04: Disappointing - flawed in almost every department.[/b]

Really? I would love to see him point out these flaws that so readily stand out.

bear in mind these are the same people who gave RL2 a 9[/b]

Yeah, a 9/10 and not a flaw in sight.... doesn't that tell you something?

Utter ******** is all I can say.

How that mag can give RL2 a 9/10 and RC2006 a 4 is beyond me.

Then again, opinions vary and you never know who likes what. it'll be interesting to see what Knowsley, Boy and Jamie Lyon what they think of the review.

Latest posts