• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

OPS2 Australia has reviewed RC06

Originally posted by myusernameisprettybland@Jan 11 2006, 09:54 AM
the final verdict from OPS2 Australia:

Poor passing, useless lineouts, poor defence. Only features a few European teams due to licenses, so it doesn't feature Aus or NZ.

Official Verdict:
Graphics - 06: We've seen worse.
Sound - 05: Basic and repetitive.
Gameplay - 05: Er... Basic and repetitive.
Lifespan - 03: Keep the reciept.
OVERALL - 04: Disappointing - flawed in almost every department.

bear in mind these are the same people who gave RL2 a 9
excellent, infiltrating Derwent Howard forums, the sort of work I like to do.

The same person wrote RC and RL2.

Originally posted by Jacko+Jan 11 2006, 01:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jacko @ Jan 11 2006, 01:43 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-myusernameisprettybland
@Jan 11 2006, 09:54 AM
the final verdict from OPS2 Australia:

Poor passing, useless lineouts, poor defence. Only features a few European teams due to licenses, so it doesn't feature Aus or NZ.

Official Verdict:
Graphics - 06: We've seen worse.
Sound - 05: Basic and repetitive.
Lifespan - 03: Keep the reciept.
OVERALL - 04: Disappointing - flawed in almost every department.

bear in mind these are the same people who gave RL2 a 9
excellent, infiltrating Derwent Howard forums, the sort of work I like to do.

The same person wrote RC and RL2. [/b]
lol yeh... theyre all ps2 fanboys over there. its quite disturbing how dumb they are.

Well on the Xbox forum there not...

Now remain calm, this will require some bravery, but remain calm.

Rugby Challenge 2006
Give it the boot!

Swordfish Studios not only brought us the awesome RPIC 2005, but also the classic JLR - so surely RC06 ought to be worth a look?

Well, in a word NO The shonky mechanics mean passes will often go in the wrong direction, lineouts are useless and defensive players are more like halfwits than halbacks.*

Another problem is that it only features licenses for a few European teams, meaning you won't find any Wallabies or Allblacks here. This makes it fairly irrelevant for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere, and the fact that it's so lacklustre only makes it worse. Punt it out of your PS2 quick smart.

*Shows a complete lack of understanding of the positions in Rugby Union.

Hmmm, I wonder whether Los has swapped the RL2 review for the RC06 review???

Originally posted by locksley@Jan 11 2006, 11:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

Pure tripe. It's easy to pick up and play and it's NEVER going to be a simulation, but for a fully playable Rugby game, RC2006 takes some beating. I'd put this at around an 8.5/10
[/b][/quote]
Oh, I really wish you hadn't said that... Is it really that far off being a sim? Because if it is, then my interest has just taken a nose dive.

Well, it is far more a sim than WCR was and when it comes to Euro licences you could call it more than a sim than R2005/R2006.

Just to work something out here I believe RC has more licensed teams than R06 will have. Top 14, Celtic League, Heiniken Cup, Guinness Premiership (Now there's a large number of licensed teams). Plus there is England, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Wales and France is pretty well licensed except for the fact it isn't officially, I mean most or all players in the team will be licensed through the club things, won't they?

R06 has: S14 (14 teams), Guinness Premiership (21 or 28 teams??), about 11 national teams, Lions. Equals about 46-54 teams. I think RC has more...

Correct me if I'm wrong.

okay, it has to be... simply from the way it looks and what locks has said, despite seemingly contradicting himself.

Originally posted by Jacko@Jan 11 2006, 08:11 PM
Well, it is far more a sim than WCR was and when it comes to Euro licences you could call it more than a sim than R2005/R2006.

Just to work something out here I believe RC has more licensed teams than R06 will have. Top 14, Celtic League, Heiniken Cup, Guinness Premiership (Now there's a large number of licensed teams). Plus there is England, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Wales and France is pretty well licensed except for the fact it isn't officially, I mean most or all players in the team will be licensed through the club things, won't they?

R06 has: S14 (14 teams), Guinness Premiership (21 or 28 teams??), about 11 national teams, Lions. Equals about 46-54 teams. I think RC has more...

Correct me if I'm wrong.
hands up who would rather have the internationals and 2 main rep comps (super 14 and guiness) over provinses

No disrespect to Knowls and the boys but I think that this game will become very repetitive and will be quite shallow in terms of gameplay like the last effort WCR which I thought was absolute rubbish held my attention for all of 30 mins.

I was really expecting something massive with WCR I mean it was marketed as the makers of JLR I was expecting alot more but it was **** poor. I feel for Locks, Knowls and Boy to review this game is very difficult as they would not have had enough time with this game to make a proper accessment.

If I am not mistaken you guys played multi-player most of the time which on most games is 10 times better than vs the AI, most people will be playing this vs the comp and that is where you can really tell if it is any good or not.

If it had online my concerns would be over as then I could have multi-player till my hearts content.

I have a feeling that after most people have played this game for a day they will be slating it as we all get so excited over rugby games when they first come out but are all disappointed when it finally hits our console.

My feelings are nothing to do with the reviews so far as they don`t mean sh$#t!!

Originally posted by TheBokke@Jan 11 2006, 06:35 PM
No disrespect to Knowls and the boys but I think that this game will become very repetitive and will be quite shallow in terms of gameplay like the last effort WCR which I thought was absolute rubbish held my attention for all of 30 mins.

I was really expecting something massive with WCR I mean it was marketed as the makers of JLR I was expecting alot more but it was **** poor. I feel for Locks, Knowls and Boy to review this game is very difficult as they would not have had enough time with this game to make a proper accessment.

If I am not mistaken you guys played multi-player most of the time which on most games is 10 times better than vs the AI, most people will be playing this vs the comp and that is where you can really tell if it is any good or not.

If it had online my concerns would be over as then I could have multi-player till my hearts content.

I have a feeling that after most people have played this game for a day they will be slating it as we all get so excited over rugby games when they first come out but are all disappointed when it finally hits our console.

My feelings are nothing to do with the reviews so far as they don`t mean sh$#t!!
I'm starting to think that as well to be honest... What I really want is a game that FEELS like Rugby Union, but from all accounts RC 2006 is more like 7's.
Ah well, maybe it'll turn out to be better than that.

hey just reporting back from the mysterious reviewer "LV". heres his reasons for giving rc2006 a 4. some of them are a bit shifty.

-It doesn't boast the same depth in modes that RL2 does (nothing to match the franchise mode in RL2).
-The lineouts are not particularly user-friendly.
-The presentation doesn't match that of competitor Rugby ***les, including both Rugby 2005 and RL2, and also falls short of Swordfish Studio's other sports ***le Ricky Ponting Cricket.
-The opposition AI is incredibly easy to exploit. I found spreading the ball wide and passing to your wingers will net you a decent line-break far too often.
-It lacks the appeal of both Rugby 2005 and RL2 because it includes no local content (players, teams or stadia). I understand this may be due to licensing issues beyond my knowledge (EA may have swallowed them up with exclusivity deals we're not aware off â€" it has a frustrating habit of doing that). Nonetheless, the lack of local content does dampen the appeal for what it already a lukewarm product.
-It also suffers from some severe glitches. On two occasions we watched in confusion as an opposition player froze in the middle of the field and stayed there until half or full time (depending on which half it occured)
-Fickle passing controls mean you can never be sure where your passess are going to go. Simply passing right isn't as foolproof as it sounds â€" more often than we cared to expect the ball would go in the opposite direction we intended.
-The ball physics are also less than perfect. The ball bounces to ridiculous heights.

Originally posted by myusernameisprettybland@Jan 11 2006, 09:10 PM
hey just reporting back from the mysterious reviewer "LV". heres his reasons for giving rc2006 a 4. some of them are a bit shifty.

-It doesn't boast the same depth in modes that RL2 does (nothing to match the franchise mode in RL2).
-The presentation doesn't match that of competitor Rugby ***les, including both Rugby 2005 and RL2, and also falls short of Swordfish Studio's other sports ***le Ricky Ponting Cricket.
-The opposition AI is incredibly easy to exploit. I found spreading the ball wide and passing to your wingers will net you a decent line-break far too often.
-It lacks the appeal of both Rugby 2005 and RL2 because it includes no local content (players, teams or stadia). I understand this may be due to licensing issues beyond my knowledge (EA may have swallowed them up with exclusivity deals we're not aware off â€" it has a frustrating habit of doing that). Nonetheless, the lack of local content does dampen the appeal for what it already a lukewarm product.
-It also suffers from some severe glitches. On two occasions we watched in confusion as an opposition player froze in the middle of the field and stayed there until half or full time (depending on which half it occured)
-Fickle passing controls mean you can never be sure where your passess are going to go. Simply passing right isn't as foolproof as it sounds â€" more often than we cared to expect the ball would go in the opposite direction we intended.
-The ball physics are also less than perfect. The ball bounces to ridiculous heights.
Total and utter ********.

@ Sanzar sim gameplay wise ? Do you consider RL2 a sim gameplay wise ? Tons of random knock ons from quality half backs, complete and utter lack of control over your players ? World class wingers that run into touch ? Ehhhhh ?

@ the reviewer, I can only assume that Trevor has shafted his wife while he was watching through a locked fully windowed door while Trev was giving him the finger.

Utter garbage !

Look some of you probably wont like it, its simple the nature of the beast. However I feel imo most of you will like it. It is for me an important addition to the rugby gaming market.

Lineouts are not user friendly ? They are a p.o.p ! Utter rubbish. You dont know where passes are going ? Surely got his games mixed up there and is thinking of RL2.

Dont take my word for it, take your own when you get it, but after the reviews of RL2 I dont see why many of you are even batting an eyelid at them. They mean nothing and yes my opinion probably means nothing also. You will just have to wait guys
<

Has Los Lover taken over reviewing games? Looks like it to me.

There is some tosh written in the gaming world, but BOY does that really take the biscuit. Very disappointing that these comments have been made.

Trev - did this guy actually come and play on the game?

Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Jan 11 2006, 08:39 PM
@ Sanzar sim gameplay wise ? Do you consider RL2 a sim gameplay wise ? Tons of random knock ons from quality half backs, complete and utter lack of control over your players ? World class wingers that run into touch ? Ehhhhh ?
No I don't... it's not arcady and it's not a sim, it's somewhere in between, and I can live with that, but WCR was nothing like real rugby, and I was really hoping RC had changed that...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
@ the reviewer, I can only assume that Trevor has shafted his wife while he was watching through a locked fully windowed door while Trev was giving him the finger.

Utter garbage ![/b]
It is his opinion mate, just like a fair few people disagree with your opinion that RL2 was the worst rugby game to ever come out.

Look some of you probably wont like it, its simple the nature of the beast. However I feel imo most of you will like it. It is for me an important addition to the rugby gaming market.[/b]
To me RL2 is an important edition to the Rugby gaming market... To you it's rubbish, and to the reviewer RC 06 isn't worth releasing...

Lineouts are not user friendly ? They are a p.o.p ! Utter rubbish. You dont know where passes are going ? Surely got his games mixed up there and is thinking of RL2.[/b]
From what he has said passing hasn't worked well for him in RC 06, so there must be something there...

Dont take my word for it, take your own when you get it, but after the reviews of RL2 I dont see why many of you are even batting an eyelid at them.[/b]
The reviews still provide insights mate, just like yours and locks...

Seriously knowsley, you need to relax a bit mate, you're getting far too agitated at something that is in reality fairly irrelevant considering pretty much everyone on this forum is gonna buy, or at the very least, rent this game and decide for ourselves... calm down mate.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Jan 11 2006, 09:46 PM
There is some tosh written in the gaming world, but BOY does that really take the biscuit.
Had to read that twice to make sure you weren't asking me a question!

Granted, we only played it for 3 hours or so, but we did play games against the computer on the easiest mode and found it far from simple.

The guy talks about a 'lack of local content,' so he's probably so enraged at the cheek of Swordfish, an English developer, to focus on the available NH licences instead of SH and particularly Australian licences that he barely even played it.

As far as the passing system is concerned, as the whole left/right phenomenon not made it to Australia yet? It's going to be big, boys, trust me.

The guy's a goddamn moron. Ignore him and make your own decision when you actually get to play it.

Originally posted by sanzar+Jan 11 2006, 10:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sanzar @ Jan 11 2006, 10:00 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-knowsleyroader
@Jan 11 2006, 08:39 PM
No I don't... it's not arcady and it's not a sim, it's somewhere in between, and I can live with that, but WCR was nothing like real rugby, and I was really hoping RC had changed that...

Utter garbage ![/b]
It is his opinion mate, just like a fair few people disagree with your opinion that RL2 was the worst rugby game to ever come out.

Look some of you probably wont like it, its simple the nature of the beast. However I feel imo most of you will like it. It is for me an important addition to the rugby gaming market.[/b]
To me RL2 is an important edition to the Rugby gaming market... To you it's rubbish, and to the reviewer RC 06 isn't worth releasing...

Lineouts are not user friendly ? They are a p.o.p ! Utter rubbish. You dont know where passes are going ? Surely got his games mixed up there and is thinking of RL2.[/b]
From what he has said passing hasn't worked well for him in RC 06, so there must be something there...

Dont take my word for it, take your own when you get it, but after the reviews of RL2 I dont see why many of you are even batting an eyelid at them.[/b]
The reviews still provide insights mate, just like yours and locks...

Seriously knowsley, you need to relax a bit mate, you're getting far too agitated at something that is in reality fairly irrelevant considering pretty much everyone on this forum is gonna buy, or at the very least, rent this game and decide for ourselves... calm down mate. [/b]
Im prefectly calm m8, trust me. However I get the feeling you have really taken exception with the fact that I dont like RL2 and have given it a fair old bit of stick. Its only my opinion m8, you dont have to make a crusade of it
<

Originally posted by myusernameisprettybland@Jan 11 2006, 09:10 PM

Ok, after reading LV's points, I noticed that they were mostly aimed towards licenses and aesthetics rather than gameplay. I think he's put the game on, saw that there's no SH teams, and thought "That's ********, I'll give this a bad review."

Here we go:

-It doesn't boast the same depth in modes that RL2 does (nothing to match the franchise mode in RL2).[/b]

Yes, this is probably true, but the franchise in RL2 is seriously flawed and there are more than enough modes, including Career mode in RC2006 to keep single players happy.

No gameplay issues mentioned!

-The lineouts are not particularly user-friendly.[/b]

What??? They're the same as WCR, in my opinion, there's nothing wrong with them. They're quick and keep the action flowing.

-The presentation doesn't match that of competitor Rugby ***les, including both Rugby 2005 and RL2, and also falls short of Swordfish Studio's other sports ***le Ricky Ponting Cricket.[/b]

Again, maybe true. This doesn't affect how the game plays though.

Again, No gameplay issues raised.

-The opposition AI is incredibly easy to exploit. I found spreading the ball wide and passing to your wingers will net you a decent line-break far too often.[/b]

St Helens RLFC also said that this was easy to do, however, and I think he'll agree, he was playing on the easy difficulty. When it's ramped up to Intensive Care difficulty, this is nowhere near the problem he makes out it is. Also, it just doesn't apply in multiplayer games.

-It lacks the appeal of both Rugby 2005 and RL2 because it includes no local content (players, teams or stadia). I understand this may be due to licensing issues beyond my knowledge (EA may have swallowed them up with exclusivity deals we're not aware off â€" it has a frustrating habit of doing that). Nonetheless, the lack of local content does dampen the appeal for what it already a lukewarm product.[/b]

Again, problems with features NOT Gameplay.

-It also suffers from some severe glitches. On two occasions we watched in confusion as an opposition player froze in the middle of the field and stayed there until half or full time (depending on which half it occured)[/b]

That may have happened. It didn't do it when we played the game, but nevertheless, it could well have done. Say this happened in 2 out of ever ten matches played, would it really affect the game that bad?

-Fickle passing controls mean you can never be sure where your passess are going to go. Simply passing right isn't as foolproof as it sounds â€" more often than we cared to expect the ball would go in the opposite direction we intended.[/b]

Right, this is where he starts talking utter utter ********.  WCR had the best passing system ever in my opinion, and they've kept it the same way, albeit with a couple of tweaks to tighten it for RC2006.  If you didn't like the passing in WCR, then you won't like it here.

-The ball physics are also less than perfect. The ball bounces to ridiculous heights.[/b]

Hmmmm. I've noticed this too, but it wasn't a problem. Hammer a grubber through and it'll sometimes bounce chest high after a while. This makes it easier to just pluck the ball out of the air and go over.

All in all, those problems cannot make RC2006 a 4/10. That's just not right. I notice he fails to mention the smooth game engine, slick graphics that move around the screen effortlessly. Also, the best kicking system in Rugby games, the fact that you are FULLY in control of the ball carrier at all times. etc etc etc. To be honest, he hardly mentions the gameplay at all... it's as if he wanted it to be bad after finding out that there aren't many licensed things in there.

This game is, in my opinion, the most playable Rugby game ever created!

Originally posted by Boy+Jan 11 2006, 10:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boy @ Jan 11 2006, 10:03 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-St Helens RLFC
@Jan 11 2006, 09:46 PM
There is some tosh written in the gaming world, but BOY does that really take the biscuit.

The guy talks about a 'lack of local content,' so he's probably so enraged at the cheek of Swordfish, an English developer, to focus on the available NH licences instead of SH and particularly Australian licences that he barely even played it.

[/b]
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Originally posted by locksley@Jan 11 2006, 10:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

That may have happened. It didn't do it when we played the game, but nevertheless, it could well have done. Say this happened in 2 out of ever ten matches played, would it really affect the game that bad? [/b][/quote]
a player stuck in the middle of the field 2 out every 10 matches played ? hell yes it'd affect the game that bad !

Latest posts