• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ospreys take Wayne Smith

G

Gay-Guy

Well it looks like Henry might be considering not going all the way to 2011 now that Smith is set to leave.

Good on Wayne though....a change of scene may do his coaching good....who knows...he may come back to NZ after the 2011 RWC?  

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 17 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Before the weekend the BBC published this article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...eys/7729619.stm

Did you just hear the rumour that he's going or did you hear an official announcement?[/b]
On TV news...very official its for real...Smith spoke about his move.  Wish him all the best...he has got a good rugby brain even if at times he gets it wrong but at least he is thinking of improving all the time.

Lol.
f***, i wonder what's going to happen to Holley now?
I mean, he's been riding off Lyn's old tactic books for quite a while now.
When does he arrive, does anyone know any details?

Be intersting to see who Henry get's as his replacement, there doesn't seem to be much alternative. Grant Fox who was Henry's first choice when he first got the job is still retired from coaching while the other New Zealand coaches are either too green or too kack.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Nov 18 2008, 06:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lol.
f***, i wonder what's going to happen to Holley now?
I mean, he's been riding off Lyn's old tactic books for quite a while now.
When does he arrive, does anyone know any details?[/b]
This is his last tour with the AB's...when he gets back he will be packing up his house and family and voila in the new year he will be there where you can meet him at your local pub.

You guys up north have got waaaay too much money....

Can imagine the likes of Hook thriving under a coach like Smith. He turned Saints fortunes around when he was here a few years back and I have the utmost respect for him. There'll be no excuse for the Ospreys if they don't mount a proper challenge in Europe over the next few years with him on board.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Nov 18 2008, 10:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can imagine the likes of Hook thriving under a coach like Smith. He turned Saints fortunes around when he was here a few years back and I have the utmost respect for him. There'll be no excuse for the Ospreys if they don't mount a proper challenge in Europe over the next few years with him on board.[/b]
Yep...everything that the All Blacks have done up to this tour....he will bring that insider knowledge and SHARE with the Ospreys players.  The Ospreys players will be thinking "Ooooh I see....so that is how those tricky ******** from NZ do it....hmmmm...very interesting"

Now the NZRFU are getting a little bit nervous that Steve Hanson is following Smith.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
NZRU digs in to keep 'hot' Hansen and Smith

New Zealand rugby boss Steve Tew admits the All Blacks coaches are "hot property". But he is not panicking over reports All Blacks forwards coach Steve Hansen will join Wayne Smith in defecting to Ospreys.

"It depends what you mean by an offer," Tew said, suggesting that Ospreys were making approaches to a wide range of coaches.

The drive to replace Lyn Jones is being lead by Andrew Hore, the Kiwi who used to head the New Zealand Rugby Union's high performance unit.

He might do well to avoid Tew when the All Blacks roll into Cardiff on Wednesday.

The Swansea club has made Smith an impressive offer that the backs coach has confirmed he will consider after the November tour to Britain and Ireland.

There have since been reports that Hansen might shift with Smith.

Tew accepted all of New Zealand's top coaches were vulnerable to lucrative overseas job offers.

"We already have Vern Cotter coaching in France and New Zealanders in charge of Japan, Canada, Australia and Wales.

"That's quite a chunk of New Zealand coaches coaching international sides.

"Nothing's changed quite frankly. There is a bit of heat in the media around Smithy, but the coaches are just like our players, they are hot property, they are the best in the world at what they do and they operate in the global market."

Tew said it was too early to say whether Smith could be retained but made it clear "it's not a done deal as some people are suggesting it is".

He also defended the coaches' rights to test the employment market despite having only just been controversially reappointed to the All Blacks after last year's World Cup debacle.

"In an ideal world these guys were appointed till the end of 2009 – to date they have done an outstanding job in 2008 and we would like them to carry on and fulfil their commitment.

"But we are also mindful that they have earned the right to decide their futures. In Smithy's case he has been a very loyal servant to New Zealand since 1997.

"Apart from the break he had at Northampton (after he was sacked from the All Blacks) he has been the Crusaders coach from 1997-99 and has been in the All Blacks environment since 1999.

"My personal view is that he has the right to decide what's best for him and his family at whatever time he decides it.

"He will have a very clear indication and encouragement from us that we want to keep him."[/b]
http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4764767a22363.html

Latest posts