Ospreys v Treviso

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Ospreys.png
Treviso.png

Ospreys v Treviso
</div>

Shane Williams is desperate to play three games for three different sides inside a week to boost the Ospreys' stuttering Heineken Cup campaign.

The wing scored in Wales' 21-18 win over Australia on Saturday and is in the Barbarians squad to face the Wallabies at Wembley on Wednesday.

But Williams wants to play against Italians Benetton Treviso on Saturday.

"I want to play on Saturday, I'm enjoying my rugby and it's an important game for the region," he said.

EDF Energy Cup champions Ospreys must beat Italian minnows Treviso at the Liberty Stadium to give them a hope of emulating their quarter-final appearance of last season.

But the Welsh region are suffering a potentially crippling injury crisis as six of their Welsh internationals are set to miss out.

Lock Ian Evans and prop Duncan Jones are out for the season after getting injured on Wales duty during their autumn Test series.

Centre Gavin Henson, scrum-half Mike Phillips, lock or flanker Jonathan Thomas and hooker Huw Bennett are also out for round three of their Heineken Cup Pool three fixture.

So try-scoring superstar Williams' insistence to play against Treviso is a major boost for Ospreys coach Sean Holley.

"The more time I can have on the field, the better," Williams said.

"It's a game that I've told Sean Holley and everyone else I'm available for.

"Whether or not I'm selected to start I don't know, but I'd like to think they'll have me in mind and they'll want me to play at the weekend."

Wales stars full-back Lee Byrne, fly-half James Hook, prop Adam Jones, captain Ryan Jones, hooker Richard Hibbard, centre Andrew Bishop and locks Ian Gough and Alun Wyn Jones join Williams in strengthening the Ospreys' Euro charge this weekend.

Although yet to pick up a point in their current Heineken Cup campaign, Treviso have scored some shock results in the competition.

And Holley has warned his players against complacency in both Saturday's clash in Swansea and next week's return in Italy.

"A lot of people write off the Italian sides but you can't afford to take them lightly, we've got no doubts whatsoever about the challenge they will present us over the next two fixtures," Holley said.

"They pushed Perpignan all the way in their opening fixture, preventing them from picking up a bonus point, so we realise that we will have to be at the top of our game.

"We had two tough games against Calvisano two seasons ago and are fully expecting a similar challenge from Treviso.

"They look to play an expansive style which should make for an entertaining match and a great European occasion.

"We are delighted to have our international contingent back this week after they played a significant part in a great win. No doubt confidence will be high."

Williams extended his Welsh international try-scoring record when he scored his 44th Wales try of his career against Australia at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday.

And newly-crowned IRB international player of the year Williams is on the bench for the Barbarians against the Wallabies on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old never considered turning down the Barbarians' invitation to make his new Wembley debut.

"Playing for the Baa-Baas straight after an international is strange," he admitted.

"It's almost unheard of these days but as soon as I was given a chance to play for them, I jumped at it."

Ospreys: tbc

Treviso: tbc

BBC Sport

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Dec 5 2008, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Treviso by 75. ;)[/b]

Looking more like Ospreys by 75 at this stage, Bowe already with a hatrick and the Ospreys leading 40-8 at half time. Will they take the foot off for the second half or really try and put up a score.

5 tries from Tommy Bowe, must be some sort of record or at least close to it.

I think it wa 'just' the 4 for Bowe. BBC had awarded one of Walkers to him I think. They've changed it now in the match writup.

@ Cymro, no point doing things by half :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 6 2008, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
jesus lads how many is it, rugbyrama have given him 6 tries.[/b]
lol, obviously can't tell an irishman from a scotsman :lol: (or a Welshman for that matter!)

He got four tries all in. Had the hatrick in the bag in the first half, but barely got the ball second and only got the one (though he did drop a pass with the tryline open in the duying minuted which shoulda made it five).

Time for Italy to be limited to one side in the HC each season? No-one learns from that sort of beating and it devalues the group stages.

Not sure, I think the Italian teams have improved alot over the years. They just unfortunately faced an Ospreys side that had one of the rare moments when everything clicked. Won't see that again till next season.

Problem is Dullionian, they are not improving and when you draw a Italian side you know its points in the bag.Should they keep out another top English,Welsh or Irish team? (not that there are any-celts I mean)

well they've certainly gone down in recent years, I mean they beat Bath and Bourgoin the year they were in Leinster's pool but when was their last meaningful win?

yeah your right. How long can we wet nurse them and hope they improve and make their mark in the HC. In my view they have gone backwards and with the state of their league I cant see any point in their continued participation

I think someone was making the point that there's only 5 Italians starting for one of their sides.

There's talk about regionalising teams and them coming to play in the Magners League, might be a way forward but we could only realistically have 2 teams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 6 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's talk about regionalising teams and them coming to play in the Magners League, might be a way forward but we could only realistically have 2 teams.[/b]

I may be a little ignorant to the issues, so could you tell me why we could on realistically have 2 of the italian teams in the Magners?

well Roger Lewis was talking about the possibility, it may have been during the week, not sure when but the idea has been mooted for the last year or so at various stages by various individuals.

Just saw the extended highlights on Es Pedwar Ec and it was a walkover to be fair.
We're just in a different league to them and it wasn't pleasant to watch.
Ospeys didn't even have to be that clinical nad we still managed to string together 10(?) tries.

Latest posts