• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Owen's coming home?

S

St Helens RLFC

I have it under very good authoritah that he is coming back to Anfield.

Newcastle are still very much in the running. If we can agree something with Madrid we're his only choice though. supposedly he would only go to Newcastle on loan as a very last resort.

Well if Real's asking price is anything to go by then I doubt Newcastle have â'¬25 million for one player despite him being worth every cent and then some. Seems like Liverpool would be willing to pay anything between â'¬18 and â'¬20 million.

With it looking increasingly difficult to get Owen I'm surprised Souness hasn't put in an offer for Baros, he'd definitely be a good signing for us because in Shearer he'd have the ideal partner, just like Koller is for him with the Czechs.

I believe we're putting the Baros money up front with more payments over the length of his potential contract.

Would be happy to see owen back with Pool, even as a Spurs fan it's sad to see him warming the bench at Madrid, a player of his class needs to be sarting games.

We're in talks, I'm sure we can thrash something out.

Come home, Michael.

Rafa shouldn't have sold him in the first place, what the hell is wrong with him, selling Owen then goes and buys Crouch, who despite beoing a different player to Owen, isn't nearly as good.

He's mad.

With the reports that Ferguson 'is not in the race to sign him', I can see Owen becoming an Old Trafford regular after the Christmas transfer window.

Remember when United 'were not interested' in Rooney?

It's tough to question a man who's led his team to the European Cup but you would wonder why he's so reluctant to work with Michael Owen, firstly by letting him go for peanuts and now the refusal to resign him. Can't understand it myself espeically when he's signed such a mediocre player like Crouch.

We HAD to let him go for £8 million - 4 months later he could have left for far less than peanuts, eg nothing at all.

Cracked up when I heard on the radio that Wigan were putting in a â'¬15 million bid for Owen.
<
<
<

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Aug 22 2005, 07:11 PM
Cracked up when I heard on the radio that Wigan were putting in a â'¬15 million bid for Owen.
<
<
<
Man City could do with another striker...
<

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Aug 22 2005, 07:11 PM
<
<
<
I heard that too. Doubt that he'll want to be playing in the Championship next year.

Originally posted by An Tarbh@Aug 22 2005, 06:11 PM
<
<
<
Yeah that was a good chuckle.

Quite why he would turn down Newcastle yet sign for Wigan, I have no idea. Fantastic tabloid journalism imo.

Nothing really seems to be happening with Owen, wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up staying at Madrid, Lyon would certainly have been an interesting move, linking up with Houllier again, Newcastle is obviously the best option for him
<
. One thing though with all the journalists and pundits saying that Owen must be playing first team football in world cup year seems a bit odd to me esepcially considering that the players who performed at Euro 2004 were the ones who weren't playing week in week out, Rooney, Baros, Charisteas, Dellas etc.

I heard Cisse might be moving (possibly on loan). Any1 else heard this? A bit unfir on a bloke who hasn't yet had a major chance to show his skill.

Originally posted by harrison2468@Aug 23 2005, 06:11 PM
I heard Cisse might be moving (possibly on loan). Any1 else heard this? A bit unfir on a bloke who hasn't yet had a major chance to show his skill.
His legs break far too easily to be a top footballer.

More developments

Originally posted by BBC Sport
Owen ready for Premiership return
Real Madrid's Michael Owen wants to return to Liverpool but is prepared to spend this season on loan at Newcastle if a move to Anfield cannot be agreed.

Madrid president Florentino Perez has promised to help the 25-year-old England forward return home.

"I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and if not I would prefer to return to Liverpool," Owen said.

"If the transfer cannot be finalised in time I have agreed to go to Newcastle."

Owen spent much of his first season at the Bernabeu coming off the bench and the arrivals of Brazilian strikers Robinho and Julio Baptista this summer have seen him slip further down the pecking order.

The former Liverpool star had earlier indicated he was willing to stay and fight for his place, but has now had a change of heart.

He added: "I need to be playing regularly in World Cup year.

"I am most grateful to Senor Perez for his personal concern about my career. I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists his main priority is to sign a centre-back and already has Djibril Cisse, Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch as his frontline strikers.

But Owen's return to Anfield would be welcomed by Liverpool fans, having scored 158 goals in 297 games in his first spell at the club.

Owen scored 16 goals for Real last season despite being used primarily as a substitute.

On Tuesday Everton manager David Moyes revealed his club had spoken to Owen's representatives, but the player rejected a move to Goodison Park.

I'm not sure how Benitez will react to Owen trying to force his hand, if Benitez had wanted Owen badly enough in the first place he would have made sure a new deal was signed before he went to Madrid.

This is developping into a bit of a farce, they should all just get it sorted once and for all.

Latest posts