[Pacific Nations Cup] Fiji vs. Tonga. 14/06/14

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Fiji.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Tonga.png

Fiji vs. Tonga. 14/06/14 15:00 FJT, Churchill Park, Lautoka, Fiji.

Referee: Rohan Hoffmann (Australia)

Fiji look to start off their Pacific Nations Cup with a in over visiting Tonga at home. Both teams had positive results last weekend as the Fijians beat a travelling Italian side, while a weakened Tonga drew away with Samoa. I like Fiji in this one though I expect Tonga to at least make a game of it, Tonga have too many of their good players not on tour and Fiji looks more clinical than Samoa lately.

Lineups: TBA

'Ikale Tahi: Tevita Mailau, Suliasi Taufalele, Sila Puafisi, Joshua Afu, Lisiate Fa'aoso, Pasuka Mapakaitolo, Nili Latu (C), Viliami Ma'afu, Samisoni Fisilau, Latiume Fosita, Alaska Taufa, Fraser Anderson, Siale Piutau, 'Otulea Katoa, David Halaifonua Reserves: Paula Ngauamo, Kamalielie Sakalia, Edmund Aholelei, Opeti Fonua, Viliami Fihaki, Sonatane Takulua, Fangatapu, Fetu'u Vainikolo

Same squad that started against Manu Samoa looks like the coaches a looking for some form of continuity.http://matangitonga.to/2014/06/12/tonga-battle-flying-fijians-lautoka

Read that Starting Line-up made changes with Sonatane Takulua and Fangatapu Apikotoa coming in as the halves Pairing, Daniel Faleafa to lock with Fetu'u Vainikolo the only other change in the backs

Fiji Starting Side: Campese Ma'afu, Tuapati Talemaitoga, Manasa Saulo, Apisalome Ratuniyarawa, Leone Nakarawa, Dominiko Waqaniburotu, Malakai Ravulo, Akapusi Qera , Nikola Matawalu, Jonetani Ralulu, Watisoni Votu, Nemani Nadolo, Adriu Delai, Sireli Bobo,Timoci Nagusa.

Reserves: Viliame Veikoso, Jerry Yanuyanutawa, Isei Colati, Apisai Naikatini, Nemani Nagusa, Nemia Kenatale, Waisea Nayacalevu, Metuisela Talebula.

IRB has confirmed Sontane Takulua and Fangatapu Apikotoa are promoted from the bench. Daniel Faleafa and Fetu'u Vainikolo also set to start. Good to see Takulua get a start hes been with the Auckland Blues this yr,Should add alot more energy around the ruck. Great to see how committed Fetu'u Vainikolo has been to Tonga. I remember Tongans being unhappy with his inclusion to the World Cup squad as he took the place of players who had been loyal to Tonga, But he has never turned down an opportunity to play for his country.

Fiji made a lot of changes to their team last week, I guess they're either saving players for Samoa or just giving everyone game time. Thought they'd change Ma'afu though, I don't rate that guy

Last edited:
Yea its great to see Sontane out there I guess he is the future in this position. Yes you are right Vainikolo is one of the few senior players who makes himself avaliable every year.Fangatapu is a great add aswell. Im happy with Latiume showing great for a young bloke who will only get better with time.

I rate Latiume Fosita as well. Fangatapu plays with alot of Heart on defence and attack, But I think he doesnt read or control the game as well as Kurt Morath, Morath doesnt have the runnin game Apikotoa has, but that's not because he cant I just havnt seen him play the sort of game for Tonga. Saying that no FLy Half controls or reads the game as well Kurt Morath does.

45-17 Fiji destroyed Tonga, impressive, i don't remember the last time they beat them by such a score, impressive. The veteran Bobo scores 2 tries, he runs faster than many young mans in this match i don't know his secret.

Great game Fiji well deserved, Tonga need to take this as lesson and go back to the drawing board.

wooooow I did not expect that, esp after seeing all the changes Fiji made from last week. I still haven't seen the game though but wasn't expecting that kind of scoreline. Hopefully they can keep this up

45-17 Fiji destroyed Tonga, impressive, i don't remember the last time they beat them by such a score, impressive. The veteran Bobo scores 2 tries, he runs faster than many young mans in this match i don't know his secret.

Was Fiji's scrum any better?

Last edited:
Just watched the game. Fiji were good in parts. Matawalu had a world class performance, he had a hand in nearly all of Fiji's tries, so explosive on counter attack. Nadolo had a very good performance too. But Fiji were let off many times, they made way too many handling errors they can't get away with making against better teams. Just like last week, Fiji had less possession and territory yet they were able to score great tries with the little possession and territory they had. That just shows how dangerous they can be esp from broken play. They just need to cut out the handling errors and penalties and they'll be scoring even more tries. But yeah Tonga were better than the scoreline shows, two of Fiji's tries came in the very last minutes and Tonga dominated territory and possession but could only cross Fiji's line when Fiji had a player yellow carded. Don't know if thats due to Fiji's defence or Tonga being bad on attack

Last edited:
wooooow I did not expect that, esp after seeing all the changes Fiji made from last week. I still haven't seen the game though but wasn't expecting that kind of scoreline. Hopefully they can keep this up

Was Fiji's scrum any better?

Just see the end of the game Muzzy, just 2,3 scrums, apparently they improve that but tongian's scrum isn't italy's scrum

Latest posts